“That’s on me.” The Sark 11/14 News Conference pre KU

Vito Andolini

I’m not putting anything at all on the players when we only tried to run the ball 17 total times with the two best RBs in the conference. There is zero excuse for that. 
Add in Quinn being terrible and it’s even more insane.

And before some jackass talks about how TCU was shutting down our run game, no shit. We did the same to them. They kept trying to run it and eventually the defense got worn down and gave up a break. We didn’t give ourselves a chance because we refused to give the ball to our best players. Again. 
This is entirely on Sark

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Ghost of LL said:

I'm sorry--I'm just looking at this board for the first time since Saturday.

Is the current Surly groupthink that the players are blameless?  Because Sark is somehow to blame for Worthy, Sanders, and Whittington all dropping passes as though they were covered in KY?  And Quinn is not responsible for not being able to complete a pass until the second quarter because he should have been on the bench in favor of . . . Hudson Card, who also can't complete a pass more than ten yards downfield?

There were plenty of playcalls I didn't like.  But Jesus--the players on the offensive side deserve a lot of heat.

"If we can't find something to complain about, we ain't happy." ~ Surly

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

I’m not putting anything at all on the players when we only tried to run the ball 17 total times with the two best RBs in the conference. There is zero excuse for that. 

And before some jackass talks about how TCU was shutting down our run game, no shit. We did the same to them. They kept trying to run it and eventually the defense got worn down and gave up a break. We didn’t give ourselves a chance because we refused to give the ball to our best players. Again. 
This is entirely on Sark

Also....lack of execution is on coaches.....dont know how many times that needs to be said for the "players arent good enough" crowd.....

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

This is entirely on Sark

When a team is loading the box to stop the run, I expect any half decent high school QB to complete some easy throws and I expect half decent high school receivers to catch said throws if they hit them in the hands. That didn’t happen much in this game. Sark isn’t blameless but the offensive skill players really fucked up this game. Whittington is the only one who showed up. If you’re making that kind of NIL money, there’s no excuse to not show up laser focused for every game.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

When a team is loading the box to stop the run, I expect any half decent high school QB to complete some easy throws and I expect half decent high school receivers to catch said throws if they hit them in the hands. That didn’t happen much in this game. Sark isn’t blameless but the offensive skill players really fucked up this game. Whittington is the only one who showed up. If you’re making that kind of NIL money, there’s no excuse to not show up laser focused for every game.

17 touches for our two best players. We loaded the box against TCU and what did they do? They kept giving the ball to their best player and eventually he made something happen. Weird how that works.

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

This tcu loss I put more on the players fuckin' up.  Toads defense punched our offense in the mouth and the Horns did not repond.  Oline blocking sucked, receivers dropping balls sucked, and Ewers also sucked.

I put Sark and the offensive coaches 4th in line for that shitshow performance by our offense on Saturday.  

I will add that the last time we tried to block the punt was a terrible coaching decision by Sark and Banks with Texas down only 10-3.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, hobbes2702 said:

17 touches for our two best players. We loaded the box against TCU and what did they do? They kept giving the ball to their best player and eventually he made something happen. Weird how that works.

No, it's definitely better to just keep putting it in the hands of your freshman QB to make plays he hasn't been making all night. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Longhornlove said:

Maybe he is sending a message. Honestly I think he is right, they didn't execute the plays he called but he does share some blame because it is his offense. Pretty sure the players know they didn't execute, it was obvious. Dropped passes, bad passes, poor blocking, tentative running, the whole offense fucking sucked donkey balls. Sark did adjust in the second half and found some things that worked. He abandoned the run for obvious reasons but he certainly could have been a better play caller. Probably could have called more screens early in the game, get some easy throws and get Quinn in a rhythm but Quinn could have got in a rhythm earlier if his receivers could catch a fucking cold.

If the players aren't executing, 1) the coach needs them better prepared; 2) the coach needs to bench them; and/or 3) the coach needs to call something they can execute.

All 3 are on the coach if it lasts the whole game.

21 minutes ago, ruitxn said:

Totally agree with you. However, we at least got a completion rather than everyone being pissed because an obvious td was missed due to another overthrow.

And then we stalled and got no points.

34 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Oline blocking sucked, receivers dropping balls sucked, and Ewers also sucked.

I put Sark and the offensive coaches 4th in line for that shitshow performance by our offense on Saturday.  

Our o-line personnel is substandard - Sark's fault.

Ewers is regressing - Sark's fault.

Receivers dropping catchable balls is not on Sark. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

I will add that the last time we tried to block the punt was a terrible coaching decision by Sark and Banks with Texas down only 10-3.

given that we really didn't rough the punter and almost blocked it and our offense did zero all day, not a bad risk.  It turned out bad because of Big 12 refs and a flop by the punter, but it wasn't a bad call.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, bullet said:

If the players aren't executing, 1) the coach needs them better prepared; 2) the coach needs to bench them; and/or 3) the coach needs to call something they can execute.

All 3 are on the coach if it lasts the whole game.

And then we stalled and got no points.

Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

I haven't said there is no blame on Sark, there is, but the coach calls plays and at some point the players have to execute........They didn't. Sark doesn't drop passes or get destroyed by a DT across from him. There is plenty of blame to go around, no need to leave the players out of some of that blame like you just did.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Okay, players aren't doing what they're supposed to. So you as the head coach need to make the changes necessary both in the gameplan and with who's in the game. Especially when the only points you're getting are from the defense and special teams. Sark seems incapable of making in game adjustments. That's a good portion of why we're saying he ain't the guy. His record keeps bearing that out. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Okay, players aren't doing what they're supposed to. So you as the head coach need to make the changes necessary both in the gameplan and with who's in the game. Especially when the only points you're getting are from the defense and special teams. Sark seems incapable of making in game adjustments. That's a good portion of why we're saying he ain't the guy. His record keeps bearing that out. 

Ok, I'll play your little game. Lets say the freshman right guard isn't blocking worth a shit. Who do you replace him with? There is a reason that freshman is playing in the fist place. Oh, BTW, he did get replaced with another tree freshman, DJ Campbell. Your"star WR keeps dropping passes and fails to give max effort, who do you replace him with?

What I'm getting at is there is limited options to "replacing" players. Card wasn't the fucking answer unless you want more sacks. This team is incredibly young with young depth. They will be good but aren't there yet. But please, by all means all you people keep complaining about shit that can't be changed except with time meaning recruiting cycles, off season training and the portal for depth.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2

14 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

Ok, I'll play your little game. Lets say the freshman right guard isn't blocking worth a shit. Who do you replace him with? There is a reason that freshman is playing in the fist place. Oh, BTW, he did get replaced with another tree freshman, DJ Campbell. Your"star WR keeps dropping passes and fails to give max effort, who do you replace him with?

What I'm getting at is there is limited options to "replacing" players. Card wasn't the fucking answer unless you want more sacks. This team is incredibly young with young depth. They will be good but aren't there yet. But please, by all means all you people keep complaining about shit that can't be changed except with time meaning recruiting cycles, off season training and the portal for depth.

So why hasn’t the coach addressed those gaps through the portal or recruiting? 
And no one is saying Card was going to come in and be VY. No one is even saying he would have been great. Quinn did not have it. Period. We scored 3 points. Try someone else. Could it get worse? Sure I guess. I’m not really convinced there is much worse than what we witnessed Saturday. How many games with Card at QB have we been under 200 total yards?

Edited by hobbes2702
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

This isn't 1987. Players can be bought now. Sark had 2 off-seasons. Any depth issues he didn't address are 100% on him. 

PSA: This is bait. Please do not engage with the above. It will auto-detonate "Sark should have brought in transfer OL talk not going away." 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

25 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

This isn't 1987. Players can be bought now. Sark had 2 off-seasons. Any depth issues he didn't address are 100% on him. 

16 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

So why hasn’t the coach addressed those gaps through the portal or recruiting? 
And no one is saying Card was going to come in and be VY. No one is even saying he would have been great. Quinn did not have it. Period. We scored 3 points. Try someone else. Could it get worse? Sure I guess. I’m not really convinced there is much worse than what we witnessed Saturday. How many games with Card at QB have we been under 200 total yards?

He has had a total of one recruiting class that was his and he knocked that one out of the park.

"Buying players" just started within the last cycle and it isn't him buying them. You can bitch about the portaL all you want but he has done pretty well there too just not going after positions some wanted them to. He made his choices on the portal vs HS recruits and agree with most of that. I would have liked to have an Edge rusher but those are hard to come by.

1 hour ago, hobbes2702 said:

With the assistance of 2 holds in back to back plays being ignored by the ref.   

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Longhornlove said:

So 2023 or 2024 we should see real progress?

We are going to see Quinn throw 5 more uncatchable passes to Worthy on deep throws against Kansas. And you geniuses will say, well, if Sark can just get players to make that play work, we would never lose. While some unknown Kansas coach will have his 1 star QB complete a 10 yard pass up and down the field to some 1 star WR as they score at ease. 

Only coaches at Texas need special players to make their plays work. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

We are going to see Quinn throw 5 more uncatchable passes to Worthy on deep throws against Kansas. And you geniuses will say, well, if Sark can just get players to make that play work, we would never lose. While some unknown Kansas coach will have his 1 star QB complete a 10 yard pass up and down the field to some 1 star WR as they score at ease. 

Only coaches at Texas need special players to make their plays work. 

Because those types of players are beneath us. We Are Texas!

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Yeah, that was the place where I was like he has put Card in as Ewers is just way off right now.  Bijan has to have been the #1 read on that play call and Ewers didn't go there.   Makes me wonder if they were already yelling at him to quit going deep so he took the short route. Either way.. damn

The worst thing about that play.  It was perhaps Quinn's best pass of the night.  Stuck it in a tight spot to Sanders at the sticks and got the first down.  Just for the fact Bijan was walking wide open down the sideline.

2 hours ago, MAGS® said:

The point was that their player really didn't make the play.   They held and got away with it,  it wasn't because the play call was great.   

No one said the play call was great. The holding is irrelevant. Sometimes it gets called, sometimes it doesn’t.
The point is they gave the ball to their best player over and over. Your best players make plays. We gave the ball to our two best players a combined 17 times while throwing the ball 39 times.  

3 hours ago, bullet said:

given that we really didn't rough the punter and almost blocked it and our offense did zero all day, not a bad risk.  It turned out bad because of Big 12 refs and a flop by the punter, but it wasn't a bad call.

Without context, it was a reasonable call.  With context, it was the wrong call.  Texas had just completed its first successful drive of the evening, a 77 yard drive resulting in a FG.  The defense had just stopped TCU for another 3-and-out.  Texas got away with near misses the 2 previous times AND should have noted that the kicker was a flopper.

Field the punt and take back control of the game.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, 59 Burst said:

The thing about blaming the roster. Is you see the unheralded Kansas guy come in, and almost instantly you saw improvement. Fucker even found a QB that works for what they are trying to do. 

And I’m going to guess they don’t have a lot of 4 and 5 star guys?

Coaching difference... as seen here. Sark is all about what his scheme will or won't do - no slants, no curls, RPO etc...

One coach is fitting players into his Scheme, the other has a preferred scheme they will recruit to but they will run what their current personnel is.

Sark:
“It is an attacking style of offensive play, but a physical brand of football. We believe in running the football and that in turn creates things in the passing game. I’ve been fortunate enough that I’ve had a 1,000-yard rusher every year I’ve called plays in college football, so there’s definite belief in running the football. But the balanced attack I think is what makes us go,” Sarkisian said of his offense during his introductory press conference at Texas.

“We’re not just a quarterback-driven system, but we definitely need a quarterback that can play at a high level, which we’ve been fortunate enough to have — I think it’s five or six top-10 NFL draft picks that have played quarterback in the system with me.”

Leipold:
“We’re going to be multiple enough to use our personnel to our best, to go out and win football games,” Leipold said.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

This joke will never get old to some of y’all, huh?

He's regularly late to scheduled TV shows?  That is not normal, responsible behavior.  Its not a joke.  He's got some sort of issues.  (note-I'm taking the poster's word that he is regularly late).

• Fuck You 1

5 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

Could we throw one of our 50 yard jump balls we attempt 17 times per game to Bijan or JT or Whittington or anyone besides the guy who absolutely never catches it?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Coaching difference... as seen here. Sark is all about what his scheme will or won't do - no slants, no curls, RPO etc...

One coach is fitting players into his Scheme, the other has a preferred scheme they will recruit to but they will run what their current personnel is.

Sark:
“It is an attacking style of offensive play, but a physical brand of football. We believe in running the football and that in turn creates things in the passing game. I’ve been fortunate enough that I’ve had a 1,000-yard rusher every year I’ve called plays in college football, so there’s definite belief in running the football. But the balanced attack I think is what makes us go,” Sarkisian said of his offense during his introductory press conference at Texas.

“We’re not just a quarterback-driven system, but we definitely need a quarterback that can play at a high level, which we’ve been fortunate enough to have — I think it’s five or six top-10 NFL draft picks that have played quarterback in the system with me.”

Leipold:
“We’re going to be multiple enough to use our personnel to our best, to go out and win football games,” Leipold said.

So we have to wait until Sark can build a Bama OL and Bama RB.  cool...

We are at such a disadvantage in modern football without  QB who is a run threat. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

We are at such a disadvantage in modern football without  QB who is a run threat. 

It’s quite obvious that sark has no idea what he’s doing at this point. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Rage+1 1

13 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

We should have that not next year but the year after.  Possibly next year if some of the current Freshmen OL really develop over the summer but not likely.  The year after we will have a line of Juniors and Sophomores that will be as good as any in the country.  

I'm not saying that Ewers played a good game, but when QE looked Bijan was covered and QE went to the second option. It looked to me like the defender slipped after QE checked that route. Maybe a more seasoned QB would have taken more time, or maybe it's just shit luck and sometimes people miss stuff. The offense was awful, but that's not the play that represents the how we were bad that game. Pick any of the terrible runs, or maybe the throw to Sanders when he had 4 defenders.

It absolutely is the worst play of the game.

There was no pressure. Sark on Rewind said Bijan was the #1 option. There are 1000s of people that could make that TD throw. That’s the kinda play you run for special situations as you may only get one chance at it. And it isn’t for 5 yards. He basically came off Bijan at the LOS. He already had the guy beat. As one who has thrown a pass in a game, that is a gift from a play caller. A gimme. It is the touchdown play.

The throw to Sanders was 4th and goal. Worthy was double covered although he beat it. That’s at least understandable.

QE is too quick to throw on many occasions. He pretty much never moves any defenders with his actions. On this play he rushed to look back left. He came off Bijan too quick. If he doesn’t do the first, he probably doesn’t do the second.

4 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

I went to the game and sat through it, I guess that’s on me.  

To be fair I really didn’t mean it was surly’s fault. I mean the players vs sark vs some other coach etc yeah it’s on all of them.  Insert fuck this fuck that fuck everything gif.

9 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

This showing up 30 minutes late for regularly scheduled Monday pressers repeatedly is a shit look. Kardashian-like nonsense. Just do what you were hired to do. Geez.

Yeah, you can do that fashionably late stuff when we're 9-1, but at 6-4 it just looks like you don't give enough of a shit.

• Hook 'Em 4

51 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Yeah, you can do that fashionably late stuff when we're 9-1, but at 6-4 it just looks like you don't give enough of a shit.

He was busy practicing singing the eyes of Texas since he said he wouldn’t skip it again. He’s acting like a butthurt child. 

• Hook 'Em 3

18 hours ago, JFKFC said:

Our o-line personnel is substandard - Sark's fault.

Ewers is regressing - Sark's fault.

Receivers dropping catchable balls is not on Sark. 

Actually, it is in one respect. He brought a tight end from Alabama who already had a reputation for dropping balls.