“That’s on me.” The Sark 11/14 News Conference pre KU

Vito Andolini

On 11/14/2022 at 11:59 AM, LTtxfan said:

Sark should be pissed about the poor offense performance/results and hold those players, coaches and himself accountable.

Saban would really be chewin' some asses if this was his team.

Maybe he is. But you can bet he's not doing that in front of the press or the cameras.

I wish everyone would go back to the first half of the ou game and watch the motion and misdirection of the offense. That was a brilliantly called game offensively. 

Those plays haven’t existed since that game.  Now the game plan is to run to the right side of the offensive line 75% of the time and throw deep.  No slip screens to wittington. No te down the seams. On occasion a deep out to the te or whit. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 2

Coaching difference... as seen here. Sark is all about what his scheme will or won't do - no slants, no curls, RPO etc...
One coach is fitting players into his Scheme, the other has a preferred scheme they will recruit to but they will run what their current personnel is.

Sark:
“It is an attacking style of offensive play, but a physical brand of football. We believe in running the football and that in turn creates things in the passing game. I’ve been fortunate enough that I’ve had a 1,000-yard rusher every year I’ve called plays in college football, so there’s definite belief in running the football. But the balanced attack I think is what makes us go,” Sarkisian said of his offense during his introductory press conference at Texas.
“We’re not just a quarterback-driven system, but we definitely need a quarterback that can play at a high level, which we’ve been fortunate enough to have — I think it’s five or six top-10 NFL draft picks that have played quarterback in the system with me.”
Leipold:
“We’re going to be multiple enough to use our personnel to our best, to go out and win football games,” Leipold said.

Out of those two, it would be interesting to know which one people think would win a playoff game first.

Without context, it was a reasonable call.  With context, it was the wrong call.  Texas had just completed its first successful drive of the evening, a 77 yard drive resulting in a FG.  The defense had just stopped TCU for another 3-and-out.  Texas got away with near misses the 2 previous times AND should have noted that the kicker was a flopper.
Field the punt and take back control of the game.

Defense was gassed at that point as well
  • Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

Defense was gassed at that point as well

It’s like Sarkisian doesn’t understand that a defense won’t hold up being in the field for 2/3 of a game. It’s what killed us at Tech. 

Tech had the ball 10 minutes more than we did. 
Oklahoma State had the ball 6 minutes more than we did. 
TCU had the ball 15 minutes more than we did. 

Our defense is not good enough or deep enough to carry an offense that keeps going 3 and out. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

On 11/14/2022 at 1:00 PM, Ghost of LL said:

I'm sorry--I'm just looking at this board for the first time since Saturday.

Is the current Surly groupthink that the players are blameless?  Because Sark is somehow to blame for Worthy, Sanders, and Whittington all dropping passes as though they were covered in KY?  And Quinn is not responsible for not being able to complete a pass until the second quarter because he should have been on the bench in favor of . . . Hudson Card, who also can't complete a pass more than ten yards downfield?

There were plenty of playcalls I didn't like.  But Jesus--the players on the offensive side deserve a lot of heat.

It’s always the same old “it’s easier to replace the coach than the players mentally” I guess.  These poor players don’t get paid like these million dollar coaches.  Wait, what…Worthy is not worthy of his NIL this year.  If he sticks around hopefully he gets it together next year.  Quinn better put in a lot of work this offseason as well.  

Look, here's the deal.  Sark won't be the coach here after year 4.  we'll aggy this thing up to 7-5,8-4 the next couple of years and fire him.  he's done. it's only a matter of time and money at this point. Ewers obviously wasn't ready.  At a true blueblood if you don't show some significant improvement in year 2, that is basically saying is the other coaches in the league are just flat better than you.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

On 11/14/2022 at 8:59 PM, Nicole44 said:

This showing up 30 minutes late for regularly scheduled Monday pressers repeatedly is a shit look. Kardashian-like nonsense. Just do what you were hired to do. Geez.

I’m starting to think this may be rubbing off on the player.  Hell the offense didn’t even bother to show up for the TCU game.  

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, stork642 said:

It’s always the same old “it’s easier to replace the coach than the players mentally” I guess.  These poor players don’t get paid like these million dollar coaches.  Wait, what…Worthy is not worthy of his NIL this year.  If he sticks around hopefully he gets it together next year.  Quinn better put in a lot of work this offseason as well.  

But actually, as we demonstrated last year, it is now easier to replace the players than it is to replace the coach.

And yeah--I recognize that this is a huge paradigm shift in college football.  But we can actually tell nonproducing players to hit the portal.  And we can replace them with guys transferring from lower-tier programs.

13 hours ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

These are always my favorite threads. Nothing like poking yourself in the eye with a sharp stick to keep reminding you you’re alive.

I hurt myself today

To see if I still feel

I focus on the pain

The only thing that's real. 

On 11/14/2022 at 6:02 PM, Neonmoon said:

We are going to see Quinn throw 5 more uncatchable passes to Worthy on deep throws against Kansas. And you geniuses will say, well, if Sark can just get players to make that play work, we would never lose. While some unknown Kansas coach will have his 1 star QB complete a 10 yard pass up and down the field to some 1 star WR as they score at ease. 

Only coaches at Texas need special players to make their plays work. 

Shit bro, you can’t hold down a Kansas 3rd string QB AND a walk-on FB turned TE. Texas just can’t repel firepower of that magnitude.

14 hours ago, BB65 said:

I wish everyone would go back to the first half of the ou game and watch the motion and misdirection of the offense. That was a brilliantly called game offensively. 

Those plays haven’t existed since that game.  Now the game plan is to run to the right side of the offensive line 75% of the time and throw deep.  No slip screens to wittington. No te down the seams. On occasion a deep out to the te or whit. 

I was fully expecting this kind of game plan for tcu and baffled that it looked like we didn't prepare at all.  On offense, at least. 

Defense had possibly their best game plan of the year, it was just unfortunately married to no offensive plan at all.

14 hours ago, BB65 said:

I thought for a couple of hours we had a coach.  WTF has he been doing since?

I've noticed the late arrivals to some - or is it many? - pressers. WTF? Doesn't bother me particularly, since I pretty much never watch it live, but it seems like a sign of a deeper problem.

Is he just running overtime on the Monday morning team sessions, or is he medicating in between tasks? It seems as though he is having personal crises due to his inability to do what he's being paid $100,000 per week to do. I have thought it clear that he just couldn't handle being HC and OC simultaneously, and that remains basically true, imo.  I'm at the point where I see a guy who just flat is not HC material, and may not be a top-shelf OC either. He's got some great plays, but picks strange times to call them.

Ewers' problems, whatever they are, make things worse, and refusing to sub him out seems to be refusing to admit that something must be wrong with Ewers physically, mentally, or both. The only way to tell is to let other QBs have a possession or two and see if anyone shows up. Taking an almost fully guaranteed loss because "it wouldn't be fair" to one or another player to be subbed in or out is beyond stupid. 

And so it goes.

• Like 1