4 University of Idaho students killed in home - Suspect in Custody

Helobious

1 hour ago, HouTex said:

Just heard a report that the DNA connection was from one of his relatives whose DNA is in a national database.  

Knew they could do that now, really damn cool.

It makes it impossible for anyone who leaves DNA evidence behind to hide.  Hell, I know probably at least 8-10 in my immediate and extended family has used those DNA sites. 

• Like 1

On 12/30/2022 at 1:21 PM, Mrs Whiggins said:

There are 1.5 million instructional faculty at higher ed institutions nationwide. Throwing them all under the bus because this PhD student committed murder seems rash but what do I know.

Does no one do sarcasm any more?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

16 hours ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Wasn't cell phone data how they caught the Austin bomber?

Still can't believe the 4 teenaged girls murdered at an Austin yogurt shop in 1991 hasn't been solved.   Hope some day DNA evidence helps them finally bring the killer(s) to justice...

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

So this one dude was living with 5 girls? Seems like a pretty good situation, well up until things got stabby at least.

? Perpetrator lived alone, male victim didn’t live in house but was sleeping over with his gf. And one of female victims had recently moved out but was also just sleeping over for the night. So it’s entirely possible the killer thought he was entering to kill one or two people & found 4. 

? Perpetrator lived alone, male victim didn’t live in house but was sleeping over with his gf. And one of female victims had recently moved out but was also just sleeping over for the night. So it’s entirely possible the killer thought he was entering to kill one or two people & found 4. 

Pic in the article quoted above says 1 dude and 5 girls lived at the house where the stabbing occurred.

44 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Pic in the article quoted above says 1 dude and 5 girls lived at the house where the stabbing occurred.

Yeah that’s incorrect. Unless the male was the 6th person on the lease but they did not currently live at the house. Male victim certainly didn’t live there.

I hope Kohberger dies screaming. Now that this incel is caught he’ll try to get off on some insanity plea. His DNA is there. His car. His phone pings and social media connections. When he murdered those four people he also in a sense murdered their families (a slower death.) most anyone I’ve met that has had a close relative murdered has never really recovered. There is no closure. Now they will face years of court shut and delays and appeals and have to listen to everything that was done to their kids by a POS who should have just killed himself. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Still can't believe the 4 teenaged girls murdered at an Austin yogurt shop in 1991 hasn't been solved.   Hope some day DNA evidence helps them finally bring the killer(s) to justice...

The Country's Best Yogurt Shop Murder?

On 1/1/2023 at 5:49 AM, shadow_operative said:

word of advice: don'tspeak to grown people like they're insolent children. i believe you get your ass kicked for saying something like that. in the real world anyway. just tell me what happened without being a colossal prick next time.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, F250 said:

I had a friend that lived with 3 girls at Texas State for awhile. Initially he described it as awesome because he was having sex with all 3 of them and every girl wanted to keep it a secret. Eventually they found out.

His story went from "I'm banging a different chick every 4 hours" to "They were throwing bottles at me and one of them set my clothes on fire."

Season 3 Episode 13 GIF by Parks and Recreation

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

On 1/2/2023 at 11:48 AM, tbone_ said:

Been a lot of shit flying around; one the surviving roommates I believe (Dylan) is trans.   Id have to find the picture of all the roommates, and there is video too, but the person really looks like a dude, dressing as a chick. To each his, err her, own...  perhaps that is the reason for the male/female roommate discrepancy. 

I had a friend that lived with 3 girls at Texas State for awhile. Initially he described it as awesome because he was having sex with all 3 of them and every girl wanted to keep it a secret. Eventually they found out.
His story went from "I'm banging a different chick every 4 hours" to "They were throwing bottles at me and one of them set my clothes on fire."

Sounds perfectly executed. You can’t let the last sentence in anyway lead you to believe this wasn’t the right move by your friend.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Ancestry DNA sites for the win? Caught the Golden State Killer and a few others so far. I understand his attorneys requested to view the crime scene and are planning to mount a vigorous defense. I assume we will at least see the probable cause affidavit (even if it’s redacted?) 

throw spaghetti at a wall defense? It could have been the roommates, frat guys, other stranger etc…

my thought would be: what was his car doing near the crime scene at that particular time of night/morning? I assume they have cell phone pings? No matter how well he might have cleaned his car likely there is DNA in it. He left DNA behind at the scene. Social media should bare out whether he was following three of the girls. Kaylee’s father seems to believe she was the intended target…

I feel for his parents and siblings but honestly…I think they have known this guy was one fucking weirdo for a long time. Maybe they don’t think he’s capable of murdering four people for no reason but they know he ain’t right in the head.

Re: DNA matching. Read this and thought it interesting and hope it’s not a thread derail:

Idaho police recently arrested Bryan Kohberger on suspicion of murdering four college students in November.

The tech used to apprehend him is a controversial one that involves public DNA databases, perBusiness Insider.

How it works

Online tools, like GEDmatch, compare DNA test results from companies like 23andMe and Ancestry. Users download their DNA data file, upload it to GEDmatch, and potentially find relatives around the world.

But cops use GEDmatch, too:

In 2018, police used GEDmatch to arrest Joseph James DeAngelo, AKA the Golden State Killer, after matching crime scene DNA to his distant relative.

In 2019, GEDmatch was acquired by Verogen, a forensic firm that works with law enforcement. Now, users who opt to share DNA do so with investigators.

It’s a complicated issue

Some advocates tout the tech’s ability to solve cold cases and exonerate the innocent.

Others argue it’s a violation of privacy that must be regulated (e.g., restricted to only certain violent crimes). Just because you opt to share your DNA doesn’t mean your relatives do. Also:

DNA testing isn’t infallible, and has led towrongful convictions due to human error, contamination, secondary transfer, and other factors.

Podcast: NHPR’s Bear Brook explores the first cold case solved using genetic genealogy.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

That is a bit frustrating... and I can't figure out why the judge has the signature of an 8th grade girl.... but Moscow is small-town usa and news travels fast there. Gossip even faster. I'm sure they just want nothing to get out that could taint an already limited juror pool and lead to successful appeals. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, pops said:

That is a bit frustrating... and I can't figure out why the judge has the signature of an 8th grade girl.... but Moscow is small-town usa and news travels fast there. Gossip even faster. I'm sure they just want nothing to get out that could taint an already limited juror pool and lead to successful appeals. 

I'd be surprised if the case actually happens there and isn't moved to another venue.  Small town, mostly student population.  Was going to be hard to find an unbiased jury 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

I'd be surprised if the case actually happens there and isn't moved to another venue.  Small town, mostly student population.  Was going to be hard to find an unbiased jury 

Possibly.... but I'm not sure where they would move it. They could take it up to kootenai but that's where coeur d'alene is and you have the victims from there. You could go farther north to boundary but they would just kill him without a trial. The only shot would probably be Lewiston... about 35 miles south in Nez Pearce.  Will be interesting to see. 

Edited by pops

40 minutes ago, pops said:

Possibly.... but I'm not sure where they would move it. They could take it up to kootenai but that's where coeur d'alene is and you have the victims from there. You could go farther north to boundary but they would just kill him without a trial. The only shot would probably be Lewiston... about 35 miles south in Nez Pearce.  Will be interesting to see. 

Idaho Falls, Pocatello, Lewiston, Sandpoint, Boise. Lots of options but Boise would be the most obvious.

• Hook 'Em 2

• immamac changed the title to 4 University of Idaho students killed in home - Suspect in Custody