4 University of Idaho students killed in home - Suspect in Custody

Helobious

1 hour ago, NorthLoop said:

So this is probably a topic better suited for it's own thread, but why don't we see this more often? I'm talking about murderers who get off on technicalities and whatnot - not getting taken out later by the victim's dad or close relative. I feel like if someone killed my kid I would be hellbent on killing that fucker if they got off. Maybe the loss of their kid just takes the fire out of them or something, or they realize they have more to live for rather than spending time in prison. I dunno. 

In the Bedroom was a good movie.

In the mid 80’s there was a father in Louisiana who was video taped at an airport waiting by some pay phones as a guy was being returned to face charges of killing (and I recall molesting) his son.  As the suspect walked by the father shot and killed and him.  IIRC, he got probation.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, HouTex said:

In the mid 80’s there was a father in Louisiana who was video taped at an airport waiting by some pay phones as a guy was being returned to face charges of killing (and I recall molesting) his son.  As the suspect walked by the father shot and killed and him.  IIRC, he got probation.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Plauché

Someone on TOS used to work for him, I think.

• Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to 4 University of Idaho students killed in home - Suspect in Custody
8 hours ago, Spaulding Smails said:

Gary Plauche worked for my dad when that all went down.  

Sorry if this is a no-fly zone for some reason, but in case it isn’t, can you give us any further context about how everything went down and how your family reacted?

6 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

And Jody Plauche used to post on Tiger Droppings. He was the kid the guy molested. He would answer questions and post about the incident any time it came up.

I have no idea if he still does - I stopped visiting that board once it went batshit in 2016.

Did he seem okay or talk about how he’s dealt with it all as time passed?

7 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

And Jody Plauche used to post on Tiger Droppings. He was the kid the guy molested. He would answer questions and post about the incident any time it came up.

I have no idea if he still does - I stopped visiting that board once it went batshit in 2016.

Sounds like it was kind of batshit before 2016.

If the police could track down Colton Pitonyak to Mexico with cell tower pings in 2005 when we all had flip phones, they were going to track this guy somehow.

My question is, if he didn’t take his own car or leave the knife sheath with DNA on it, could the police make AT&T give them cell tower data for everyone in the crime scene area at that particular time? 

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Sorry if this is a no-fly zone for some reason, but in case it isn’t, can you give us any further context about how everything went down and how your family reacted?

Did he seem okay or talk about how he’s dealt with it all as time passed?

I wish I could add more context, but I was four when that happened.  So, I don't remember it at all.  This was a decent sized company, and my dad ran a pretty big area, and Gary reported to him.  We were in Texas and it went down in Baton Rouge.  Only thing I have recalled my dad saying was how much it shook him up after the abduction.  Going back to the original point that resulted in this tangent, my dad and I have talked about "what would you do???" if something horrible happened to one of your kids.  The Plauche thing always comes up.  

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, MrBig said:

If the police could track down Colton Pitonyak to Mexico with cell tower pings in 2005 when we all had flip phones, they were going to track this guy somehow.

My question is, if he didn’t take his own car or leave the knife sheath with DNA on it, could the police make AT&T give them cell tower data for everyone in the crime scene area at that particular time? 

asking for a friend?

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, pops said:

I realize it's the post,  but still... dude was jacking off to the attention

https://nypost.com/2023/01/07/idaho-murder-suspect-bryan-kohberger-talked-crime-on-facebook/

The ex FBI lady who tweeted that this PappaRodger might have been the killer also suggested a connection between that user name and Elliot Rodger, another mass murderer who stabbed and shot people at UCSB because he couldn’t get girls and was jealous of frat guys.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, DixonHur said:

Looks similar enough to me that it could be just the way his hair is styled,but I'm certainly not a hairline expert.

Much shorter face. Chin to eyebrows is pretty similar, but after the eyebrows, the forehead slopes much further back on the blurry picture. Another way, which may look more obvious to some is to draw a line from the chin to the forehead - the head of the blurry picture is much more rounded.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Bevo said:

Much shorter face. Chin to eyebrows is pretty similar, but after the eyebrows, the forehead slopes much further back on the blurry picture. Another way, which may look more obvious to some is to draw a line from the chin to the forehead - the head of the blurry picture is much more rounded.

Yeah, definitely not the same guy. Look at the cheek bones too. Just a completely different face. 

I realize it's the post,  but still... dude was jacking off to the attention
https://nypost.com/2023/01/07/idaho-murder-suspect-bryan-kohberger-talked-crime-on-facebook/

Crazy. This and calling into the podcast, dude definitely got high knowing he was sought after.

Surprise he didn’t jizz his pants during the second cop stop.

I always thought in the podcast call in when he says “ how did you get away with it” his voice turns dark kinda like the Batman joker.

55 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Crazy. This and calling into the podcast, dude definitely got high knowing he was sought after.

Surprise he didn’t jizz his pants during the second cop stop.

I always thought in the podcast call in when he says “ how did you get away with it” his voice turns dark kinda like the Batman joker.

I missed this.... what podcast?

On 1/6/2023 at 8:52 PM, DixonHur said:

Moving out the mattresses today.  You can see the blood stains through the white covering.  Spoilered for gruesomeness

Reveal hidden contents

66287629-11608243-image-a-22_16730469569

Another brilliant PR move by the PD. Maybe rent a U-Haul so this kind of stuff isn't in the back of someone's F-150 for the whole world to photograph and spread through social media? I wonder if they chunked these off on the side of a country road like a lot of people do.

20 hours ago, DixonHur said:

Other than the completely different hairline, lighter hair, more elongated head front to back and shorter neck, they totally nailed it!

image.thumb.png.11d6c50815931f8752c6a208b6dc5fe4.png

Edited by OU Sucks
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/7/2023 at 7:21 PM, MrBig said:

Friend is a lawyer.  About 9 months ago, he got a call from a detective asking if he could come by and see him.  "Which of my clients is it about?"  Detective said he couldn't say, but needed to come by anyway, and asks if he can be at lawyer's office in 30 mins.  Detective shows up with other law enforcement- I think it was a Texas Ranger.  They were there not to ask about any of his clients, but him.   The investigation of a murder about 45 mins away had gone cold, but prosecutors got the judge to order cell providers to identify everyone whose cell pinged a tower or towers near the scene during a several hour time frame before and after the murder.  Turns out he was passing through the area on his way to a rodeo.  He had nothing to hide, but said it was still unnerving as hell to be questioned in a murder case.  So yes, with a court order in Texas, the cops can get that info.  The murder happened in a smaller community, so I doubt there were thousands of pings to look into.    

I'm not a criminal lawyer, but I know defense lawyers have raised the issue of whether customers have any reasonable expectation of privacy regarding their cell phone data.  

I didn't see this article posted, so SIAP, but I thought it was an interesting read. Some of the more interesting tidbits:

- For all our scorn and laughter, BK was actually not on the radar of anyone based on the white Hyundai, cell phone pings, proximity, or anything from an old fashioned, traditional detective work practice. Even after querying the white Hyundais and getting 8500 back, he still wasn't on the radar.

- It was 100% the DNA/geneology that cracked it open and then everything else fell into place and got investigated.

https://slate.com/technology/2023/01/bryan-kohberger-university-idaho-murders-forensic-genealogy.html

Spoiler

They could have eventually caught him via brute force detective work maybe, but the DNA seems to be the thread that unraveled it all:

Hyundai Elantras are among the best-selling compact cars in America. White is among the most common car colors. And so it is not surprising that, within 24 hours of requesting tips about white Hyundai Elantras on its Facebook page on Dec. 7, the Moscow Police Department had received so many that it had to devise a new system for accepting them. By Dec. 27, the agency had a list of 22,000 white Elantras.

One of the ways investigators whittled down the vehicles’ owners was by looking for associated mobile phones that pinged cell towers near the crime scene around the time of the murder. Kohberger failed to stand out in that way, according to the affidavit.

“A query of the 8458 Phone in these returns did not show the 8458 Phone utilizing cellular tower resources in close proximity to the King Road Residence between 3:00 a.m. and 5:00 a.m.,” Brett Payne, Moscow Police Department’s lead investigator, wrote, referring to Kohberger’s phone.

What this likely meant was that there was no immediate reason to prioritize Kohberger over other Elantra owners. On Dec. 23, three weeks after Kohberger’s Elantra first made the list, Payne applied for a search warrant for records of Kohberger’s phone activity between Nov. 12 and 14. The results helped convince Payne that Kohberger was the Elantra owner he was looking for after all.

Edited by HamsterHookah
  • Hook 'Em 3

5 hours ago, HamsterHookah said:

I didn't see this article posted, so SIAP, but I thought it was an interesting read. Some of the more interesting tidbits:

- For all our scorn and laughter, BK was actually not on the radar of anyone based on the white Hyundai, cell phone pings, proximity, or anything from an old fashioned, traditional detective work practice. Even after querying the white Hyundais and getting 8500 back, he still wasn't on the radar.

- It was 100% the DNA/geneology that cracked it open and then everything else fell into place and got investigated.

https://slate.com/technology/2023/01/bryan-kohberger-university-idaho-murders-forensic-genealogy.html

Hide contents

They could have eventually caught him via brute force detective work maybe, but the DNA seems to be the thread that unraveled it all:

Hyundai Elantras are among the best-selling compact cars in America. White is among the most common car colors. And so it is not surprising that, within 24 hours of requesting tips about white Hyundai Elantras on its Facebook page on Dec. 7, the Moscow Police Department had received so many that it had to devise a new system for accepting them. By Dec. 27, the agency had a list of 22,000 white Elantras.

One of the ways investigators whittled down the vehicles’ owners was by looking for associated mobile phones that pinged cell towers near the crime scene around the time of the murder. Kohberger failed to stand out in that way, according to the affidavit.

“A query of the 8458 Phone in these returns did not show the 8458 Phone utilizing cellular tower resources in close proximity to the King Road Residence between 3:00 a.m. and 5:00 a.m.,” Brett Payne, Moscow Police Department’s lead investigator, wrote, referring to Kohberger’s phone.

What this likely meant was that there was no immediate reason to prioritize Kohberger over other Elantra owners. On Dec. 23, three weeks after Kohberger’s Elantra first made the list, Payne applied for a search warrant for records of Kohberger’s phone activity between Nov. 12 and 14. The results helped convince Payne that Kohberger was the Elantra owner he was looking for after all.

Then why were they following him across the country two weeks earlier?   And from everything I've read,  they got the familial DNA from the dads garbage, not a geneology website.  Not saying the article is bullshit but doesn't add up to me. 

9 minutes ago, pops said:

Then why were they following him across the country two weeks earlier?   And from everything I've read,  they got the familial DNA from the dads garbage, not a geneology website.  Not saying the article is bullshit but doesn't add up to me. 

I think the article addressed that. They had the DNA sample from the sheath button (his grave mistake we've always said has been leaving that behind) and from there they start building out a family tree model based on the DNA database, triangulated with hyundai elantra owner list that was queried, and they get a short list of suspects.

They followed him to verify the DNA from the dad's garbage:

Regardless of who is conducting the investigation, genealogists look for partial matches, hoping to find relatives within the third-cousin range. They then began the process of building an enormous family tree, using a vast array of public records and more-traditional detective work to create a short list of people within that tree who could plausibly be the suspect. The fact that Kohberger lived 10 miles from the crime scene would have helped him stand out. So too would the fact that he owned a white Elantra.

Still, even after pulling the phone records, the team had no way to be certain Kohberger’s DNA would match the knife-sheath DNA. A genetic genealogy lead is just a hypothesis, after all. A final step typically involves conducting surveillance on the suspect and then collecting something they’ve discarded—such as a cigarette butt or soda can—extracting DNA from it and comparing it with the crime scene DNA. On Dec. 27, agents collected trash from outside the Pennsylvania home where Kohberger was visiting his parents, according to the affidavit. The Idaho State Lab reported that there was an extremely high probability it contained DNA belonging to the suspect’s father. On Dec. 30, agents arrested Kohberger.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, HamsterHookah said:

I think the article addressed that. They had the DNA sample from the sheath button (his grave mistake we've always said has been leaving that behind) and from there they start building out a family tree model based on the DNA database, triangulated with hyundai elantra owner list that was queried, and they get a short list of suspects.

They followed him to verify the DNA from the dad's garbage:

Triangulated, eh?