Mounting an HDTV

iodeac

Hi everyone, I was hoping you all could help me out. My wife and I moved into a new house and we have a 65 inch TV we need to mount. The previous owners left us a mounting bracket but I'm not sure if it will work and I don't want it to fall or anything. Based on what the bracket says, it can support up to 120 pounds and our TV is probably 50 at most. Are these things easy to install or should I try to get someone else to do it? Thanks!c35c7442cad31c00e0472c0387d6b944.jpg7fd5a2a736736688ec5beeabebde446e.jpg

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

They left the bracket, but any hardware?

You should be able to take the two vertical brackets off the horizontal one. (Looks like there are pulls from your picture that unlock the locking mechanism.) The two bars then screw into the back of your TV. Maybe your TV has bolts already in it that you can take out, put on the bracket, and then replace the bolts. 

Then you normally hang the TV at the top side of the horizontal bracket and then the bottom clicks in. I'm sure if you search YouTube you'll be able to find a video that explains it visually.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, iodeac said:

Hi everyone, I was hoping you all could help me out. My wife and I moved into a new house and we have a 65 inch TV we need to mount. The previous owners left us a mounting bracket but I'm not sure if it will work and I don't want it to fall or anything. Based on what the bracket says, it can support up to 120 pounds and our TV is probably 50 at most. Are these things easy to install or should I try to get someone else to do it? Thanks!c35c7442cad31c00e0472c0387d6b944.jpg7fd5a2a736736688ec5beeabebde446e.jpg

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

That is only half of what is needed. You need the clips that screw onto the back of the TV. They will look something like:

Peerless-AV Truss Mount for 12" Truss (Pair)

You will have 2 of them And they attach the TV to the bracket. It took me about 20min to install a TV at my mother-in-law's place so it isn't hard as long as you have a good level and a good stud finder. Even though the kits include molly bolts, I would not use them. Go into a stud with the supplied bolts. From Best Buy, the bracket was $100. I assume they are a lot cheaper on Amazon.

Edited by Bevo

15 minutes ago, Bevo said:

That is only half of what is needed. You need the clips that screw onto the back of the TV. They will look something like:

Peerless-AV Truss Mount for 12" Truss (Pair)

You will have 2 of them And they attach the TV to the bracket. It took me about 20min to install a TV at my mother-in-law's place so it isn't hard as long as you have a good level and a good stud finder. Even though the kits include molly bolts, I would not use them. Go into a stud with the supplied bolts. From Best Buy, the bracket was $100. I assume they are a lot cheaper on Amazon.

Gene already mentioned it, but B and C are the brackets that screw to the back of the TV and he already has them. All he needs are the bolts that screw into the TV, free if you have some laying around or $2-4 at Home Depot.

7 minutes ago, immamac said:

VESA is a specification. It's not really dependent on mfg unless it's a small shop

VESA bolt specifications mean absolutely jack shit to manufacturers. Feel free to google any of them. Here's TCL's, they don't use M8s for any of their TVs.

https://support.tcl.com/rokutv-setup-configuration/02-how-to-choose-the-correct-wall-mount

Their 16lb and 59lb TVs use the same M6 x 12 bolts.

1 hour ago, immamac said:

they are M8 bolts IIRC for a TV that size. All you need is 4 M8's and spacers. 

Yep, I have 4 sitting in my house right now. The kit came with 4 and the TV already had 4 in it. I had an older LED TV which seemed like it weighed twice as much as the new one so I had zero concerns with using the TV's bolts. Getting it off the wall was a PIA because of the bracket design and the weight of the TV and a center channel over the TV. The new bracket that I installed in my mother-in-law's house was better designed plus it was at proper height instead of over a fireplace.

Those bolts that screw into the studs are way overkill btw. I bet they could hold a thousand pounds.

Just to clarify above

Yep, I have 4 sitting in my house right now. The kit came with 4 and the TV already had 4 in it. I was replacing an older LED TV which seemed like it weighed twice as much as the new one so I had zero concerns with using the TV's bolts.

Getting the old TV off the wall was a PIA because of the bracket design and the weight of the TV and a center channel over the TV. The new bracket that I installed in my mother-in-law's house was better designed plus it was at proper height instead of over a fireplace. Even though I said it took 20min., I wouldn't be surprised if it took half that. I marked the studs. Then, I used a level hung up the paper template. I pre-drilled the 4 holes and then used a a hammer drill to install the bracket and lag bolts. Those lag bolts that screw into the studs are way overkill btw. I bet they could hold a thousand pounds.

Hi everyone, I was hoping you all could help me out. My wife and I moved into a new house and we have a 65 inch TV we need to mount. The previous owners left us a mounting bracket but I'm not sure if it will work and I don't want it to fall or anything. Based on what the bracket says, it can support up to 120 pounds and our TV is probably 50 at most. Are these things easy to install or should I try to get someone else to do it? Thanks!

I recommend consulting your husband before you hang a TV.
  • Haha 1