Semper Paratus

RPM

And on a serious note, a cousin (by marriage) was a Coastie - went to the CG Academy, the whole deal.  Stationed in NOLA, then Miami, then DC.  Spent LOTS of time at sea.  Plenty of drug interdiction work out of Miami (they toyed with sending him to Columbia once -- his wife put the kibosh on that).  He's super smart, engineer, tall, still plenty fit.  A TOUCH on the spectrum, maybe -- or maybe it's just him being an engineer.  But he's a smart, funny, badass dude.  So, based on that sample size of 1, I've always liked the Coasties.

• Hook 'Em 5

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

This sounds like scope creep.  What does this have to do with guarding our coasts?

The whole thing is a cover story.  The real mission is to deliver our annual bribe to the aliens who keep their spaceships parked down there.  As long as we keep paying, they have agreed to not destroy our planeet.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

I thought Semper Paratus was the spell Harry Potter used to kill the bad guy.

No, it's what John Wilkes Booth yelled out before assassinating Abraham Lincoln. Learn your history dummass.

Edited by 'stache
  • Haha 4

I’ve never known a “coasty,” but have many friends with a license/ticket.  Was friends with this man

https://www.tampabay.com/news/humaninterest/bounty-captain-and-owners-negligent-for-fatal-sinking-in-hurricane-sandy/2184134/?outputType=amp

I have great respect for those that go to sea.

Edited by CoTex
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 11/16/2022 at 3:14 PM, InkaUtexas said:

They have the equipment and expertise. Again, that is why I say they belong back in DOD vs. DHS. 

CG has never been in DOD. They started under the Treasury Department, transferred to Department of Transportation and finally DHS. During time of war the CG can be, in whole or part, temporarily assigned to the Navy. But they ain't DOD.

• Hook 'Em 3

Eighteen people were rescued from a broken motorboat found roughly 16 miles southwest of San Diego, in international waters near the U.S.-Mexico border, authorities said. The passengers on board included at least two young children — a 2-year-old girl and 4-year-old boy — according to the U.S. Coast Guard.

The passengers said they were stranded and drifting at sea for five days prior to their rescue, a spokesperson for the Coast Guard said in a statement to CBS News. The group told authorities that they did not have food or water.

The Coast Guard responded to a report on Wednesday afternoon from someone on another vessel who spotted a motorboat that appeared to be disabled with people on board who "were actively trying to flag down" the passerby, the spokesperson said. 

A helicopter crew arrived at the scene around 4 p.m., according to the spokesperson, and loaded as many people into the helicopter as it would carry before traveling back to San Diego.

In total, the Coast Guard said it rescued seven people, including the two children. The remaining 11 passengers were rescued by a Mexican Navy ship, according to the spokesperson. Of the passengers rescued by the Coast Guard, three were taken to the hospital "as a result of being dehydrated, hungry and cold," the spokesperson said, adding that all were in stable condition on Thursday.

• Hook 'Em 2

I think the rest of the branches are just jealous of the coast guard.  I know I was.  We were in Hawaii and doing a swim call in Maui off of our submarine.  The coasties set the 500 foot exclusion zone for us while we swam and grilled burgers topside.  We invited them to tour the submarine and then some of us went to tour their cutter.  The Engineering dept guy is just sitting there watching TV.  Engineering department on submarines is a completely different beast.  They showed us their fridge and they were like oh yeah before we go on deployment we just buy whateve we feel like cooking for the week.  I was like wait you guys only deploy for a week?  The coasties said well once we did for two weeks but it was rough so we don't do that anymore.  Then I see giant fishing rods.  I'm like wait y'all fish?  The coastie said yeah, our CO who was a Lt jg loves to fish.  So we fish a few hours a day.  The entire time I was just like these motherfuckers.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, FartingMonk said:

I think the rest of the branches are just jealous of the coast guard.  I know I was.  We were in Hawaii and doing a swim call in Maui off of our submarine.  The coasties set the 500 foot exclusion zone for us while we swam and grilled burgers topside.  We invited them to tour the submarine and then some of us went to tour their cutter.  The Engineering dept guy is just sitting there watching TV.  Engineering department on submarines is a completely different beast.  They showed us their fridge and they were like oh yeah before we go on deployment we just buy whateve we feel like cooking for the week.  I was like wait you guys only deploy for a week?  The coasties said well once we did for two weeks but it was rough so we don't do that anymore.  Then I see giant fishing rods.  I'm like wait y'all fish?  The coastie said yeah, our CO who was a Lt jg loves to fish.  So we fish a few hours a day.  The entire time I was just like these motherfuckers.

What size cutter? Sounds like a 110' or smaller. More than a week or two of getting beaten up by the waves on a boat that small and you're more than ready to gtfo. They weren't built for long patrols.

Edit: but it's freaking cool duty if you can get it.

Edited by RPM
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, RPM said:

What size cutter? Sounds like a 110' or smaller. More than a week or two of getting beaten up by the waves on a boat that small and you're more than ready to gtfo. They weren't built for long patrols.

Yeah. Our sub was 500 feet long and we were giants compared to it.  100 foot sounds about right 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, RPM said:

I know how they felt. I was on a 378' and we were dwarfed by most Navy ships. Carriers are scary motherfuckers. I don't think they would have felt ramming us if they did.

I got lost on a carrier once.    I was trying to find my way off the ship.  It took me 3 fucking hours.    I was too proud to ask how to get off the ship so i kept walking.  I would get to the flight deck and look down to see where the exit was and try to navigate from there.  Told my chief I got lost when i finally found my way out.  He goes, yeah I've done that before. 

On 11/17/2022 at 12:51 PM, 'stache said:

No, it's what John Wilkes Booth yelled out before assassinating Abraham Lincoln. Learn your history dummass.

No, that’s, “Sic Semper clitoris.” Semper Paratus is what economists say before running a regression.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, slorch said:

Mexico has a Navy?

The Mexican Navy has the distinction of being the only navy in history to have a steam powered ironclad be defeated in a naval engagement with a sailing vessel.  At the Battle of Campeche the steamers Guadalupe and Montezuma of the Mexican navy were defeated by sailing vessels from the Republic of Texas and Republic of Yucatán navies.

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

12 hours ago, FartingMonk said:

I had a buddy who was a fuckup in high school.  He went into the Coast Guard right out of high school and I was honestly surprised that A) he went into a service and B) that they accepted him.  We were in JROTC in high school  together, but I was still surprised he somehow passed whatever the CG required of him to get in.  We parted ways before he went in (this was early 90s so no internet or social media) but got back in touch after I went into the Army a few years out of high school (I think he had three years in the CG by then).

I did well in high school, had college credits, did fantastic on the ASVAB, did well on some other tests (DLAB, an aptitude test for languages, etc.), and got a somewhat challenging/interesting MOS.  But I entered just as everything was changing in the 90s (drawdown leading to units going away, being consolidated etc.) so rather than start out in Hawaii with my parent division, I instead mostly bounced between Fort Sill (Lawton, Oklahoma) and Fort Bliss (El Paso) with a short amount of time in a few other places, because things for some of us who had just entered were a shitshow with the drawdown.

Anyways, we got back in touch at a party back home after I finished my training, so I went out to Florida when I had some leave and he was showing me where he was stationed and everything and the whole time I’m thinking “I’m stationed in fucking Oklahoma and this guy has been down here in the Florida Keys for a couple of years starting just after he turned 19.”

He had to do a lot of shit jobs after he got out of training, I’m sure, but if you had told my high school self “join the Coast Guard after high school, you’ll be in the Florida Keys scraping barnacles or painting ships” I would have done it in heartbeat.  Granted, I don’t know how he lucked out, and I probably would have ended up somewhere else, but anywhere would have been better than Oklahoma.

I don’t have many regrets these days, but I think I would have enjoyed the Coast Guard.

• Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I had a buddy who was a fuckup in high school.  He went into the Coast Guard right out of high school and I was honestly surprised that A) he went into a service and B) that they accepted him.  We were in JROTC in high school  together, but I was still surprised he somehow passed whatever the CG required of him to get in.  We parted ways before he went in (this was early 90s so no internet or social media) but got back in touch after I went into the Army a few years out of high school (I think he had three years in the CG by then).

I did well in high school, had college credits, did fantastic on the ASVAB, did well on some other tests (DLAB, an aptitude test for languages, etc.), and got a somewhat challenging/interesting MOS.  But I entered just as everything was changing in the 90s (drawdown leading to units going away, being consolidated etc.) so rather than start out in Hawaii with my parent division, I instead mostly bounced between Fort Sill (Lawton, Oklahoma) and Fort Bliss (El Paso) with a short amount of time in a few other places, because things for some of us who had just entered were a shitshow with the drawdown.

Anyways, we got back in touch at a party back home after I finished my training, so I went out to Florida when I had some leave and he was showing me where he was stationed and everything and the whole time I’m thinking “I’m stationed in fucking Oklahoma and this guy has been down here in the Florida Keys for a couple of years starting just after he turned 19.”

He had to do a lot of shit jobs after he got out of training, I’m sure, but if you had told my high school self “join the Coast Guard after high school, you’ll be in the Florida Keys scraping barnacles or painting ships” I would have done it in heartbeat.  Granted, I don’t know how he lucked out, and I probably would have ended up somewhere else, but anywhere would have been better than Oklahoma.

I don’t have many regrets these days, but I think I would have enjoyed the Coast Guard.

When I was on shore duty in Hawaii, a friend I met there decided to join the coast guard.  First duty station.  Martha's Vineyard.  Ends up marrying rich girl. 

• Drool 1

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

When I joined in the 70's, they were more strict than DoD services on background. You had to have a spotless record. Yet, they let me in.

In 1982 they moved all recruit training to Cape May, NJ. Before then if you signed up west of the Mississippi you went to Alameda, Ca for training and were assigned to units from Great Lakes and Pacific. Those east of the Mississippi went to Cape May and got Atlantic (Gulf Coast) stations.

I was looking forward to working small boats doing SAR in the Gulf and wound up on a 378 doing fisheries patrols in the Bering.

FTR, nobody invaded Alaska on my watch.

Edited by RPM
  • Hook 'Em 2

Coast Guard saves overboard cruise passenger in ‘Thanksgiving miracle’

In a rescue United States Coast Guard officials are calling a “Thanksgiving miracle,” a helicopter crew saved a 28-year-old man Thursday night after he went overboard a Carnival Cruise Line ship and spent a day floating in the Gulf of Mexico.

Coast Guard officers in New Orleans received a call about a missing passenger from the Carnival Valor at 2:30 p.m. Thursday, according to a news release from the Coast Guard’s 8th District Public Affairs Office. A rescue swimmer aboard an MH-60 Jayhawk helicopter secured him around 8:25 p.m. Thursday about 20 miles south of Southwest Pass, La. The man was last seen aboard the cruise ship around 11 p.m. Wednesday, the Coast Guard said, meaning he could have been treading water through the night and most of Thanksgiving.

“This is an exceptionally rare case,” Ryan Graves, a petty officer in public affairs with the 8th District, told The Washington Post. “It is really nothing short of a Thanksgiving miracle to be able to pick somebody up after that long in the water without any sort of flotation device.”

Coast Guard rescues 4 men from sinking shrimp boat 11 miles off Jamaica Beach in Galveston

Just another day

• Hook 'Em 2