Depression, OCD, and whatever else ails you between the ears

mother fucker. our friends who came over for respite and warmth, went home to get their dogs from their neighbors (who had power) to find one of them passed away.  old age/existing heart condition most likely.  they never asked if the dogs could come to our house, we are fully dog friendly.  I don't get it. this world is so fucked up right now.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, troph said:

I'd love to see some more venting here.  this week is as bad as the first few weeks of covid.  I gotta imagine you frozen folks are just fucking done.

Some random thoughts from a hell of a week:

• I'm not a big fan of venting - it's been my experience (and research has borne out) that catharsis is a myth.  Instead, I've found that yelling and screaming or punching a pillow just makes you more upset.  It's just not a very effective coping technique and can lead to hurt feelings especially if you vent at someone.
  • I'm in a very fortunate position as (so far) I have not had any damage from the cold spell and had at least intermittent power all week.  So take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt - but I think that this is a week to reflect on how fortunate I (and many here) have it and I would hope (to @Cheeseweasel point) it would maybe decrease the whataboutisms and trying to dunk on others and seeing who can come up with the sickest burn.  I mean fuck - people are dying and have lost everything this week and yet we still have folks (who presumably I hope IRL are decent people) choose to see everything through their political lens.
  • Seeing @troph and @NAVY posts, it's one of the reasons I've hated the idea of lockdowns since the start of the pandemic.  The last thing I want to do is CR up this thread, but it is inarguable that these lockdowns and isolating from friends and families has not been good for our collective mental health.  In fact, this pandemic has exacerbated the existing problems that were already there pre-March 2020 - social isolation, retreating to our corner and echo chamber, and only seeking out info that confirms our biases.  I have no empirical data to support this, but I think that the hyerpartisanship that we have seen the last few years has occurred because we don't socialize and so many people spend too much time on social media.  I would think that mentally and emotionally healthy, socially connected people who are involved in various organizations with real people in a community setting are very unlikely to be a QAnoner.  And that's just with the adults - I couldn't imagine being a kid not setting foot inside a school for...12 months?  Maybe 18 months come August?  Longer?
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

That’s all good stuff.

Yeah I’m complaining a lot at home this week really trying to battle through. Help others be thankful, i’m also always the one picking everyone up and I need it to be ok not to perform that role this time. 

but you’re right about research. And gratitude and fighting through trauma are how we minimize its effects on us. I’m pretty remarkable in trauma resiliency but fuck this round is hard.

I feel like I’m going to break. I won’t but it’s close. Chest pain (anxiety) stuff like that. And it’s not me, I want a shower and I want to wash the god damned dishes, but I’m fine. I’m tired of seeing others getting blasted. My kids are going to be scarred from this year.  They’ll be fine but geez this has been awful. It’s wrong, and the power and water wrong it’s burn in hell wrong what’s happening to some of our surly people, and the broader public.  I guess when I said vent I as much meant share your struggles - we can’t be so damn isolated, I’m ok how are you, you’re ok, that’s great. Professionalism is a cancer this year. No I’m not ok. My friends, family, neighbors, strangers, fellow humans are all getting their asses kicked in and we are acting like we are ok. You’re not ok and neither am I.  I’m sick of it. I hope I get the call to help Austin Disaster Network deliver water tomorrow and Saturday I need to do something positive. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, XYZ said:

I’m pretty certain that the advent of social media has turned our collective neurosis up to 11.

Yep.  And it increases the volume of our echo chambers and makes us less socially connected.

Information overload is a bad thing - there is seemingly something to be outraged about daily.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 2/18/2021 at 9:37 PM, XYZ said:

I’m pretty certain that the advent of social media has turned our collective neurosis up to 11.

And what's interesting is that among social media users their politics is becoming more and more a (central?) part of their core identity.  Which helps explain the increasing polarization and "my team vs your team" and "winning" is more important than compromise and working together...because "they" are not on "our" team.

• Hook 'Em 2

caught up on a lot of work, we then had pizza and beer at ABGB (outside) and a long hot bath before turning back to workouts and eating right this week.  a fantastic day, loved seeing my girlfriend smile because she was having fun today.  a LOT better today. wow what a week.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Message Board User said:

How's everyone doing after a difficult week?

Gotta say it was a beautiful day and was able to clean my grill and bring my gruesome twosome to the tennis courts.

Went hiking with the dog. Despite it being extremely muddy, it made me feel infinitely better. The dog was pretty happy to get out of the house too. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

After 12 days away from home (taking care of my Dad), I return to a damage-free house. Never fully lost water. Generac ran flawlessly for days. Normal power resumed about 15 minutes before I returned home. 

Full inspection of home and pipes was fine. Evidently, my prep paid off. 

On the inside, however, total shit show. My in-laws were sheltering here, and they (apparently) ran rough-shod over the wife, and made a mess with every single thing they did. My house looks like it’s been ransacked. 

She was working 15-36 hours a day, and couldn’t even begin to keep up with their daily messes. 

i should be grateful that everyone followed my instructions for maintaining the pipes. I should be grateful that I’m not dealing with thousands of dollars in damage. Really fucking pissed off, though. Not doing a good job of masking it either, which I guess is my problem. 

Gonna take me days to restore order here. And most of it is unncessary. And in 6 days, I leave again for at least two weeks to go back to my Dad. Not exactly the week with the wife I was hoping for. 

What a pisser.....

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

I think this is more of a philosophical thought but I didn't think it was right for the DT board. 

I look at a PC screen for most of my day and I can't help but look at the day & time in the bottom right corner and think "My God, is it really 2021? Am I really this old?". Just saying 2021 out loud makes it feel like some Buck Rogers shit. That's just too far into the future. isn't it?

It gets me to thinking about my own mortality, and how much time my dad has left. My BIL died recently and that's also putting more weight on my mind about life and living. If I let it, it can really overwhelm me and leave me almost powerless to think or move or do anything.

• Hook 'Em 4

5 hours ago, Sandman said:

I think this is more of a philosophical thought but I didn't think it was right for the DT board. 

I look at a PC screen for most of my day and I can't help but look at the day & time in the bottom right corner and think "My God, is it really 2021? Am I really this old?". Just saying 2021 out loud makes it feel like some Buck Rogers shit. That's just too far into the future. isn't it?

It gets me to thinking about my own mortality, and how much time my dad has left. My BIL died recently and that's also putting more weight on my mind about life and living. If I let it, it can really overwhelm me and leave me almost powerless to think or move or do anything.

the old saying is absolutely true - as you get older, the days crawl but the years fly by.

• Hook 'Em 2

I've been very lucky because the pandemic has actually been good for me. Saving lots of cash, got a new job right in the middle of it, and bought a new car. 

The biggest bonus is being able to avoid the narcissistic assholes/family in my life I've had a hard time getting rid of. 

Not having to endure that beat down of bullshit has been awesome. 

Gotten to know all my neighbors , socially distanced of course. Kind of cool walking around and waving to people and knowing their names now. Before I would always avoid eye contact.

Good luck to yall struggling. Ive been there and understand the pain. Pm anytime if you wanna chat.

Edited by MissingInAction
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

I've debated posting on this thread but have kept up.  Like the previous post from MIA, I've done well financially during the pandemic and for that, I'm thankful.  Mentally I have not done well to be honest.  Every day is the same.  Every.  Fucking.  Day.  I now know why retired people go fucking insane.  I miss the life I had before.  The traveling, meeting new people, dinners, etc.  I like people, damn it all.    I've honestly thought about going on some sort of anti depressant but I don't like the side effects.

The pandemic has forced us all to admit it's alright to not be alright.  It also made me reassess my life.  As my job became more and more miserable, I started looking and found something in a totally different industry.  Whole new set of challenges and more upside.  Whole new game.

The above isn't anything altogether different than what others have posted but I just wanted to let you know that millions of us are all in the same boat.  Coming from someone who has fairly mentally well before this, you are not alone.  

Stay strong and don't be afraid to shake things up. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

In addition to the vagaries of my own lifelong cohabitation with depression and anxiety, my wife recently underwent serious surgery. Seeing her in pain and discomfort is a new anguish. My sunshine is cringing even on heavy pain meds. Hard times are hard.

To the point of Cactus’ previous post: my employer got a new EAP at the start of Feb with support resources including x number of talk therapy sessions. I hopped on that with the quickness. Therapy is a good thing for most everyone, and I could really use some of that good right about now. 

• Hook 'Em 5

I’ve been having ups and downs since thanksgiving. The week of thanksgiving I was a mess. Had panic attacks Monday-Thanksgiving day. Wasn’t eating and had a bad stress rash on my arm. I dropped 15lbs. Then the day after thanksgiving I snapped out of it. Have had more ups then downs 

• Hook 'Em 4

Having someone on whom you can dump emotions in a protected environment is so valuable.  Often just the physical act of verbalizing things takes some of the power out of "issues".  For some reason, hearing ourselves say something instead of it just bouncing in our rattle-can brain is therapeutic in and of itself.

One bit of advice I wish I had....if/when you go...be gut level honest.  Nothing is worse than paying someone for the  privilege of lying to them.  Ask me how I know......

Alcoholics and addicts are notorious for this as our disease wants to protect itself from the truth, but even non-alcoholics/addicts have a propensity to do it.  Don't hold back.  Say what you feel and let sunlight be a disinfectant for your mind.  Pride kept me miserable for many years and cost me a fortune in wasted counseling.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 2/23/2021 at 8:17 PM, Reagan1k said:

Having someone on whom you can dump emotions in a protected environment is so valuable.  Often just the physical act of verbalizing things takes some of the power out of "issues".  For some reason, hearing ourselves say something instead of it just bouncing in our rattle-can brain is therapeutic in and of itself.

One bit of advice I wish I had....if/when you go...be gut level honest.  Nothing is worse than paying someone for the  privilege of lying to them.  Ask me how I know......

Alcoholics and addicts are notorious for this as our disease wants to protect itself from the truth, but even non-alcoholics/addicts have a propensity to do it.  Don't hold back.  Say what you feel and let sunlight be a disinfectant for your mind.  Pride kept me miserable for many years and cost me a fortune in wasted counseling.

some things should never be said to the person we want to say them to.  it's a small part of us, probably hurt, afraid, triggered, etc. that feels that.  the adult version of us gets it.  but some times that unreasonable part needs to be heard so we can resume adult like behavior.  and the other thing is some shit that we get triggered by is so heavy with old crap, the only person who can reasonably be expected to be able to really listen and help that wounded feral mongoose of a part of us is a paid professional.  and you know what?  that isn't bad.  That protects the people we love, including ourselves.  I have a one sided emotionally intimate relationship with my therapist.  and thankfully we both like it that way.  it's perfect.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

Not disagreeing with you, and this is something we all already know and have experienced, but the expectation (by both men and women for the most part) is that men don't cry.  The strong, silent type who doesn't complain is the ideal.

It's unfortunate that this is still the case as I work (been still masking up and working M-F since the pandemic started) and supervise a lot of people at my work and I see men who I can tell are just absolutely miserable with a shitload on their mind and when I try to gently (or in some cases, not so gently) inquire as to their emotional state, I typically get a rather unconvincing "I'm good."  These are folks who still subscribe to the men don't cry stereotype but could really use some therapy to process what is going on in their lives...but I doubt any of them will actually pursue.  So I try to be as helpful as I can by consistently leaving my office door open and will walk around and make sure my folks know I'm there if they want to talk about work, about their personal life, or just to vent.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Not disagreeing with you, and this is something we all already know and have experienced, but the expectation (by both men and women for the most part) is that men don't cry.  The strong, silent type who doesn't complain is the ideal.

It's unfortunate that this is still the case as I work (been still masking up and working M-F since the pandemic started) and supervise a lot of people at my work and I see men who I can tell are just absolutely miserable with a shitload on their mind and when I try to gently (or in some cases, not so gently) inquire as to their emotional state, I typically get a rather unconvincing "I'm good."  These are folks who still subscribe to the men don't cry stereotype but could really use some therapy to process what is going on in their lives...but I doubt any of them will actually pursue.  So I try to be as helpful as I can by consistently leaving my office door open and will walk around and make sure my folks know I'm there if they want to talk about work, about their personal life, or just to vent.

You can't pry it out. All you can do is be an ear. Kudos to you. A lot of us say the words and don't mean it.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

I had a comment that I started then deleted that was on this line of thinking.  obviously I'm waaaaaaay past the men don't cry obstacle. lulz. and frankly that has nothing to do with it.  rather I have had plenty of conversations with girl friends (straight ones) who beg, wish, plead for their husbands to open up or to go to therapy or flat out just wished they picked a different guy due to the lack of emotional intelligence or availability.  divorced women talk about it even more.  I have no doubt that when young men are looking for a young woman the young women they want don't value a man who goes to therapy, but I can almost guarantee you that dynamic is gone by our mid-forties.  Those silent alone, desperate men have silent, alone, desperate women at home wishing for emotional intimacy.  in the end, once a guy proves he's strong enough in a modern world to take care of his family, the women stop bullshitting about the rest of the proxies for strength and they want connection and intimacy.  not mealy-mouthed whimpy shit, but someone that can listen, empathize, not take shit personally and can talk about how he feels when it's needed, one who smiles, laughs, and has enough emotional intelligence to see when she's having a hard time and offers aid without any whiplash emotional bullshit coming back at her.  and when a guy does that, it comes across as stable and emotionally strong.  the thing those guys think isn't strength is strength, and muscling through ends up being weak. funny how things change.  anyway, that's my ramble about what women want. take it or leave it.  but I dunno, I think I have an interesting perspective.  

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

You found the ultimate hack!

I only mentioned that because who doesn’t like a cheap laugh? Actually I mention it because on occasion I get told I have nothing to add. I actually think I have a unique and valuable perspective because of it not not despite it.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, troph said:

I only mentioned that because who doesn’t like a cheap laugh? Actually I mention it because on occasion I get told I have nothing to add. I actually think I have a unique and valuable perspective because of it not not despite it.

Never thought of it that way, but you do have a perspective that is unique.  I can't imagine anyone being intellectually honest and saying you have nothing to add.  That's a red herring from someone that is scared and/or doesn't want to know truth.  I'm fascinated by your ability to provide insight beyond my experiences.

• Hook 'Em 3

23 hours ago, troph said:

Actually I mention it because on occasion I get told I have nothing to add. 

Yeah, they are full of shit. That's on them if they don't want to hear.

Venting isn't necessarily all bad or good. If it winds you up worse than before, it would be a good idea to consider other options.

I gotta do something with it. That's why it's called venting. That pressure builds up and it's gotta go somewhere. Therapist is getting paid for it. They better have some thick armor on because they are getting the full blast. My SO isn't equipped for it. My kid, most family. There might be one or two in my extended family that can handle my outbursts. 

It's better to be grateful and thankful. 

But, sometimes I let it out in a volcanic eruption of angry tears. Just stand back and behold. It doesn't last. I try to do it far away from innocent bystanders 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 2/23/2021 at 9:47 AM, Aqua Buddha said:

Every day is the same.  Every.  Fucking.  Day.  I now know why retired people go fucking insane.  I miss the life I had before.  The traveling, meeting new people, dinners, etc.  

My wife and I were discussing this just last night. I told her how I'd like to get away for a weekend, we haven't been on any kind of "trip" since 2018. But I'm really feeling this more than usual because of this virus shit. I've been working at home part time for the last nine months, she's been WAH 99% of the time since March. I'm fucking tired of looking at these walls all the time! I find myself wishing I was in the office when I'm at home. Not all the time, but at least once/twice a week. She said she loves being at home and doesn't share my feelings, ha. 

I never thought I'd feel like this. I want a break from this "break"! 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Sandman said:

My wife and I were discussing this just last night. I told her how I'd like to get away for a weekend, we haven't been on any kind of "trip" since 2018. But I'm really feeling this more than usual because of this virus shit. I've been working at home part time for the last nine months, she's been WAH 99% of the time since March. I'm fucking tired of looking at these walls all the time! I find myself wishing I was in the office when I'm at home. Not all the time, but at least once/twice a week. She said she loves being at home and doesn't share my feelings, ha. 

I never thought I'd feel like this. I want a break from this "break"! 

I read something about how "COVID brain" is a real thing.  Not necessarily what the virus can do but what the daily living conditions do to memory.  Said we tie our memories into various other life events and routines and when those routines are non existent, our memory becomes blurred.  That is most definitely true with me. We took a driving vacation to Asheville in October and I can tell you in detail what we did before, during, and after but I can't tell you what I did last month and sure as hell can't tell you what I did in the summer.  It's very frustrating and in my case really killed my creativity.

I imagine that is what retired peoples lives are like when every day is the same.

On 2/4/2021 at 8:41 AM, Cheeseweasel said:

Our words can heal or hurt. My resolution this year is to try to use my words for "good" and encouragement. Especially places like here (Surly). It's easy to make a snarky comment and call someone an asshole for their opinion. Social media is a cancer and I'm not spreading it anymore. No more doom scrolling. No more Cloak Room. I'm just going to post memes and/or honest thoughts without (hopefully) hurting anyone. 

It can be a challenge at times to not give in. I gave in recently and said something that was not nice in an interaction I had here. I had a choice to say nothing and I gave in instead twice. I think part of it has been having my aunt on my mind for the last month. When I went back to Texas to bury her in my hometown it was hard because she was just 53. I had to let go of that sadness and get refocused on the present while remembering that it is better to just let some things slide in my interactions with people. It is not worth becoming a conduit of negativity.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 2/25/2021 at 3:16 PM, Aqua Buddha said:

I imagine that is what retired peoples lives are like when every day is the same.

& You wonder why Grandpa took that $ 8.50 / hr job @ Wal Mart as a greeter?

He wants some kind of structure in his life because waking up whenever you feel like it & going to bed whenever you feel like it & doing nothing in between but reading the newspaper & watching Wheel of Fortune is murderous.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ROFL BOX said:

& You wonder why Grandpa took that $ 8.50 / hr job @ Wal Mart as a greeter?

He wants some kind of structure in his life because waking up whenever you feel like it & going to bed whenever you feel like it & doing nothing in between but reading the newspaper & watching Wheel of Fortune is murderous.

I cannot tell you how glad I am my mom wants to go substitute teach. 

My dad told me years ago about a fellow coworker that was facing retirement. He actively sought out highly involved hobbies. His happened to be model ship building and roses. Cow is going to go down her same trails her whole life. If you cut that off, her world stops making sense. Not all of us are built to drift on the seas of time. We crave some structured map. We can contend with the vagaries if we have a destination in mind when we wake up.

There are days that knowing some friend of mine is waiting at work motivated me to crawl out.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

Absolutely to all of that Cactus. I am glad for you that your mother is going to do that as well. Most of us do not want to just sail off into the sunset. I know when my time comes I hope that either I am still working or have been blessed enough financially to spend at least half the year abroad traveling to distant off the main road towns and villages. Life is about living and just hanging out around the house until the end comes does not sound like a good time.

• Hook 'Em 1

Interesting discussion.  I'm not there yet, but one thing I have observed and made note for myself is that I "think" one needs to practice retirement before they get there.

It appears to me some people think they know what they want to do, get into it, and then fall off of that path for whatever reason - no real interest, too expensive, etc.

It's easy to say....I'm going to "x" when I retire, but if you haven't already started exercising those muscles, it can be a hard thing to launch.  Whether its a hobby, golf, part time gig, traveling, or volunteering, what I see is that often people try to jump into it from ground zero and it has no more sticking power than a New Year's resolution.

Without a plan I think it's easy for many to get into a rut from which they can't pull out....and yes, there are plenty of people who are miserable and stagnate in retirement which leads to health issues - both physically and mentally.

• Hook 'Em 2

It's easy to say....I'm going to "x" when I retire, but if you haven't already started exercising those muscles, it can be a hard thing to launch.  Whether its a hobby, golf, part time gig, traveling, or volunteering, what I see is that often people try to jump into it from ground zero and it has no more sticking power than a New Year's resolution. @Reagan1k

@ROFL BOX mentioned the Wal-mart greeter. My mom is subbing. My granddad never really stopped working. 

If you get tired of the same old walls, Get outside, Ride a bike, Walk the dogs. 

There's been no WAH for me. I too started a new and better job in the pandemic. Got a divorce too. But, it's been ok. Even in the snowpocalyse we came out ok so far.

I have a lot to be grateful for. I don't always see that. Sometimes it's hard to see past the moment of darkness. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I'm in the upper midwest and holy shit, SAD is a real thing.  This was the first week of good sunshine and the sun not setting at 4:30 and it's made an incredible difference.  I have no idea how people willingly handle this.  Just two more winters for me.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Not a cat said:

I'm in the upper midwest and holy shit, SAD is a real thing.  This was the first week of good sunshine and the sun not setting at 4:30 and it's made an incredible difference.  I have no idea how people willingly handle this.  Just two more winters for me.

Plenty of excercise, and as much as possible of it outside.  And a warning: March is the worst.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Plenty of excercise, and as much as possible of it outside.  And a warning: March is the worst.

Can’t speak to the Midwest but before I understood what was happening I always thought my life was worthless in February, now I know (here in Austin) just a few more weeks til I can play that Beatles tune, here comes the sun!! It’s March baby! Winter’s over! 

• Hook 'Em 2

Today was a fun day. I went to the evening Brazilian church that I try to attend at least once a month. It’s maybe 20-25 people in a church that seats 300 and the pastor’s daughter translates for me through a headset because my Portuguese is still not good enough to understand most of the sermon. 

I think the best part of the day was getting dropped off afterwards near the grocery store. I went to Aldi and one of the stockers kept telling a woman a line was closed. She tries to go elsewhere only to be told to go back to where she wanted to get in line. Eventually a guy in line tells the stocker, “**** man! This is the line! Quit telling her it is somewhere else.”The cashier tells him it is the line. The stocker blames the security guy and mutters “I’m about ready to fight.” Just a frustrated kid that was embarrassed. The woman just bursts out laughing when he said it. I started laughing and the friend with her does as well. I told a story about a fight from last summer on 125th I saw and made a couple of jokes about what just happened. We laughed some more and she said “We need all the laughter we can get right now.” I was leaving and had two extra bags from Target so I gave them to two ladies. They were happy to have real bags and we talked for a minute because I was wearing a winter hat that said Brazil on it. Told them about the church and turns out one was half Brazilian which was cool. They made my day with just that 5 minute interaction. Cashier at Burlington was also nice. Found out she is in school still and that her mother was at work cleaning the AMC on 42nd that I used to go to all the time after work before COVID. Even spoke to two other women about a mirror we saw in the store. 

All of that stuff on its own are minor things, but together it made for a really nice day for the people I crossed paths with and in turn they made my day. It’s cool just conversing with people and talking about a whole lot of nothing and laughing about it. The little unexpected things really are the best surprises.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Mid January through February are the worst for me.  By March I'm starting to pull through but I do recall a couple of Marches that were tough, depending on how bad the weather is.

• Hook 'Em 1