Qatar World Cup thread of off-the-pitch drama and debauchery

TexasHooch

https://boingboing.net/2022/11/16/world-cup-fan-village-being-compared-to-disastrous-fyre-festival-video.html

Qatar has been prepping for the FIFA World Cup for 10 years, building stadiums, a new airport, new roads, and much more (to the detriment of at least 6,500 migrant workers, who have died since the constructions began).

And their latest project? A "fan village" of shipping containers and tents, each that cost around $200–$300 per night, that will accommodate 60,000 out of 130,000 soccer fans expected to attend, according to Yahoo! Sport.

But oops, someone posted a sneak-peek of the "deluxe" accommodations on social media (see video below), and now commenters are half-jokingly comparing the village to the disastrous Fyre Festival.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1

That's a questionable number (there have been some estimates as high as 15,000) that was originally reported by The Guardian. https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2021/feb/23/revealed-migrant-worker-deaths-qatar-fifa-world-cup-2022

Here's a decent fact check of that and other various claims:

https://www.dw.com/en/fact-check-how-many-people-have-died-for-the-qatar-world-cup/a-63763713

Edited by TexasHooch
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TexasHooch said:

That's a questionable number (there have been some estimates as high as 15,000).

Here's a decent fact check of various claims:

https://www.dw.com/en/fact-check-how-many-people-have-died-for-the-qatar-world-cup/a-63763713

Yeah, we'll never know exactly how many -- 6500 may be high, low, on the money.  Qatar isn't exactly transparent about how it treats its pack animals, which it treats even better than it treats migrant labor.

• Hook 'Em 2

I love the game and love the World Cup. There's no way in hell anyone that's not Middle Eastern should go there. There will be lots of bad shit that goes down unless the Qataris let things go. Bullshit arrests. Fan abuse. And F Sepp Blatter for coming out this week and saying Qatar shouldn't have gotten the games. Yeah, no shit. You could've stopped it. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, TexasHooch said:

But oops, someone posted a sneak-peek of the "deluxe" accommodations on social media (see video below), and now commenters are half-jokingly comparing the village to the disastrous Fyre Festival.

Those are for the poors though.

Say what you want, but in Qatar, the police don’t fuck with you when you have to take a manservant outside and whip him for making eye contact with you, and while their customs folks may count the number of living servants you bring in, they don’t trouble you when you leave with a smaller headcount and a couple of heavy trunks that smell awful.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm going to watch, but only on bootleg streams so I can't possibly count towards ratings for this. 

And any sponsors of this I will not use. Unless of course I already do and it would be a giant pain in the ass to switch from them. But anybody else ain't getting my money. 

Edited by Hermanator
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, crash_davis said:

I cannot wait until the world fully moves to electric vehicles so that we can finally give the middle fucking finger to the Middle East and Houston.

I mean I am with you but a LOT of shit including those electric cars use petroleum

Products include fuels such as gasoline (petrol), diesel, kerosene and jet fuel among many others; asphalt and lubricants; chemical reagents used to make plastics; solvents, textiles, refrigerants, paint, synthetic rubber, fertilizers, pesticides and pharmaceuticals and thousands of others. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

I mean I am with you but a LOT of shit including those electric cars use petroleum

Products include fuels such as gasoline (petrol), diesel, kerosene and jet fuel among many others; asphalt and lubricants; chemical reagents used to make plastics; solvents, textiles, refrigerants, paint, synthetic rubber, fertilizers, pesticides and pharmaceuticals and thousands of others. 

Understood but gasoline and diesel are the top uses for petroleum. 

https://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/oil-and-petroleum-products/use-of-oil.php

After telling my wife to quit sassing me and make some gumbo, I am starting to get the distinct impression that entire nation-states built on using religion as an excuse to control women and their bodies, as well as their football infrastructure, is a bad fucking idea.  But yes, let us look down on Qatar as some super-advanced country.  

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

After telling my wife to quit sassing me and make some gumbo, I am starting to get the distinct impression that entire nation-states built on using religion as an excuse to control women and their bodies, as well as their football infrastructure, is a bad fucking idea.  But yes, let us look down on Qatar as some super-advanced country.  

I thought this was about Qatar and not the great State of Texas….

at least we now allow alcohol inside our stadiums!

• Hook 'Em 2

Ah… Well going.. ok, won’t go.

But the WC is way too big as a cultural phenomenon and family tradition throughout… well everywhere not called USA. Like said above, fuck Qatar, fuck the slave holding areas/countries but not a chance in hell I’m not watching. And can’t say I know anyone in the family (born to or chosen) that thinks differently. 

2 minutes ago, achooloco said:

Ah… Well going.. ok, won’t go.

But the WC is way too big as a cultural phenomenon and family tradition throughout… well everywhere not called USA. Like said above, fuck Qatar, fuck the slave holding areas/countries but not a chance in hell I’m not watching. And can’t say I know anyone in the family (born to or chosen) that thinks differently. 

Definitely going to watch. Love the event. Would not go there though. Would not give them any of my money directly. And I don't drink Budweiser so safe on that front. 

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Are we the United English States of America? They literally call themselves the Arab Republic of Egypt unless there are translation impacts I'm misunderstanding. 

There is no mistranslation.  They are officially known as Arab republic of Egypt.  That's a Nasser holdover from the 50s.  But Egyptians themselves identify uniquely as Egyptians and the Arabs are the people from the gulf states.  It's like calling someone from Turkey an Arab. They will tell you they are not Arabs but Turkish.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, FartingMonk said:

There is no mistranslation.  They are officially known as Arab republic of Egypt.  That's a Nasser holdover from the 50s.  But Egyptians themselves identify uniquely as Egyptians and the Arabs are the people from the gulf states.  It's like calling someone from Turkey an Arab. They will tell you they are not Arabs but Turkish.

Sorry didn't mean to suddenly be a pedantic thread ruiner but I think it's important to understanding Qatari shithousery. Egyptians,  like Palestinians and Tunisians, are generally Arabs (there are exceptions like Nubian-Egyptians) and part of that ethnic group whether Qataris want to admit it or not. Turks are not Arabs and have never been Arabs.

I can imagine plenty of Egyptians don't want to be associated with the peninsula and have rejected the idea of Pan-Arabism that was fairly popular in the postcolonial world as Egyptians have their own rich history. However, that doesn't mean they suddenly don't get to be Arabs because those on the peninsula look down on Egyptians because they're poor, their arabic is different, or their culture is different. 

Qataris use the ideas of painting non Peninsular Arabs as being inferior and non-Arab which makes them easier to dismiss and mistreat as cheap labor. There's also been a huge political debate between the two countries over the last 5 years over Egypt's perceived Qatari meddling in their internal politics and much of the rest of the peninsula sided with Egypt.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, FartingMonk said:

I spent a month in Qatar commissioning a natural gas pipeline.  When I showed up to the airport.  An Arab guy was getting his luggage rolled in his cart when one of the suitcases rolled off.  He turned around and pump slapped that African porter.  I was like damn.  Then I was in line for customs.  Lady had a green passport (Philippines I believe) She had messed something up and the guy wouldn't let her through.  She is there begging. And pleading to be let in.  Another guard comes by and drags her off by her hair.  I'm the next dude in line and he goes next and points at me.  I damn near shit my pants.  I show him my US passport and my work visa and he's as nice as can be.  Says enjoy Qatar and let's me through no hassle.  Working in the plant, some dude drops a screw driver 6 stories and it stabs some in the neck area.  They radio it away.  First question they asked is what country is he from.  It was India.  Response.  We will get another one.  The contractors from the west had to call in and refuse to work before they did anything.  What I found out from.my.driver is although Qatar has 3 million people living there only 300k are citizens.  They get paid somewhere in the half a million dollar a year range just for being citizens.  The rest are imported workers.  He said the hierarchy there is Arabs are at the top.  Americans next.  Europeans.  Chinese.  Japanese.  Cockroaches then Egyptians.

I was there during Ramadan and in country when the other Arab nations imposed sanctions.  One of the most miserable work trips I've ever been on 

Yeah this mirrors my experience in Dubai. I vividly remember walking into the arrival hall, and there had to be like 2,000 plus people in line to get in the country with probably 20 lanes open. They had a few Emirati guys who would just cruising the hall looking for white people. One came by my area and asked any white person what their passport was, dude close to me was British, and they asked him to come with them, next me, same thing. Eventually we had like 4 or 5 people in tow and they took us to a side door, stamped out passport and said enjoy our time. Who knows how long it took those others to get through if they ever did.

• Hook 'Em 2