Qatar World Cup thread of off-the-pitch drama and debauchery

TexasHooch

1 hour ago, gsoda3 said:

i've been there plenty.  my mom's side are rich hong kongers.  you can't look at a transient population (people in airports...) and glean any type of demographic insight.  generational studies of immigrants and their children keep showing the nutritional benefits of living in the west from birth vs living in developing nations.  it's not something credibly debatable but we're surly so here we are.  

Apologies for being a bit rude.

Im not arguing the nutritional benefits for lower socioeconomic groups, and I freely acknowledge that traditional Asian food production and rice based diets have well researched nutritional deficiencies.  But in my travels in Asia, well heeled Asians need to be just as concerned about diabetes and obesity as low caloric and vitamin uptake. 

39 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Apologies for being a bit rude.

Im not arguing the nutritional benefits for lower socioeconomic groups, and I freely acknowledge that traditional Asian food production and rice based diets have well researched nutritional deficiencies.  But in my travels in Asia, well heeled Asians need to be just as concerned about diabetes and obesity as low caloric and vitamin uptake. 

no worries.  i think we're speaking to different issues.  you are right in that diabetes and obesity are concerns in not only the rich subset but also within the past 2 decades especially the lower class, as sugar and cheap carbs become a more prevalent part of everyday diets.   

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Is playing soccer really any different than kicking a 50+ yard field goal? Seems like we have plenty of professional ball kickers. 

Pretty sure this fat fuck couldn't run up and down the pitch for 90 minutes.

mStmpGLE_400x400.jpg

I think that’s an accurate description. And it’s not Qatar losing FIFA money, it’s the other way: if FIFA wants their final payments, they’ll do what the Qataris want.  And like a French whore, there’s nothing FIFA won’t do for money.

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I think that’s an accurate description. And it’s not Qatar losing FIFA money, it’s the other way: if FIFA wants their final payments, they’ll do what the Qataris want.  And like a French whore, there’s nothing FIFA won’t do for money.

Correction: FIFA will do stuff more debasing than any whore would do.
  • Hook 'Em 8

3 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Is playing soccer really any different than kicking a 50+ yard field goal? Seems like we have plenty of professional ball kickers. 

This is a great post. I agree. Doesn't seem too much different from my view. If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

I heard the opposite, where the journalist wearing a rainbow flag wasn't being let in (and finally got let in) and FIFA sent word to Qatar any more of those shenanigans and they will cancel games, so obviously the guy got let in and you haven't heard much more of those types of issues (rainbow shirts, subtle support, etc.). It sounded like Qatar was worried about FIFA cancelling games and FIFA had the leverage....

That said, I understand the idea of sportswashing, but I'm thinking Qatar is having a bit of buyers remorse on this one. Nothing good coming from this for them and they clearly value different things than most of the world and don't appreciate people trying to get them to change...

2 minutes ago, MeerkatBong said:

I heard the opposite, where the journalist wearing a rainbow flag wasn't being let in (and finally got let in) and FIFA sent word to Qatar any more of those shenanigans and they will cancel games, so obviously the guy got let in and you haven't heard much more of those types of issues (rainbow shirts, subtle support, etc.). It sounded like Qatar was worried about FIFA cancelling games and FIFA had the leverage....

That said, I understand the idea of sportswashing, but I'm thinking Qatar is having a bit of buyers remorse on this one. Nothing good coming from this for them and they clearly value different things than most of the world and don't appreciate people trying to get them to change...

This and Saudi got the upset. 

17 minutes ago, MeerkatBong said:

Your standard cop outside the facilities is just trying to get through this event without doing something to get his family beheaded. Qatar isn’t Iran where the security forces run the country.  I’m sure FIFA is being leaned on by the leadership to comply.  Why else would said notorious whores fuck over InBev, Giant booze conglomerate who has no problem doing that filthy thing you like if you will accommodate their sales and advertising?

23 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

Tell me you haven’t walked through the Seoul or Hong Kong airport without telling me you haven’t walked through those airports. Rich East Asian travelers are fat as fuck. Like American Midwest Fat. 

Soccer is a niche sport for wealthy mostly white suburbanites in this country.  I live in Prince George’s County, MD.  It’s majority minority. Kevin Durant is from Hyattsville.  The DeMatha football and basketball machine is 10 minutes from my house. This county produces an incredible array of athletes, and it’s not poor. But soccer is barely an after thought.  The quality of the fields is appalling.  The coaches are just dads.  There’s barely a travel team infrastructure.  But you go to Howard or Montgomery counties, and it’s soccer complex after soccer complex.  

The talent pool we mostly mine is about a dozen wealthy white communities.  We might have 300 million people, but the nation that actually plays soccer past 5th grade is tiny. 

You're not familiar with soccer in Texas, apparently