Qatar World Cup thread of off-the-pitch drama and debauchery

TexasHooch

US Soccer said that it wanted to change the official flag for 24 hours to show "support for the women in Iran fighting for basic human rights" but always planned to go back to the original flag. 

The change "was a one-time graphic," US Soccer told CNN. "We have the main flag on our website and other places."

The emblem from Iran's flag is missing on US Soccer's social media, but the emblem is there on its main website.

Iran wants them kicked out, lol.

To those lazy Iranian National Team players and fans...'you don't like the politics of your government or disagree with the incorrect interpretations of your religion seeping into the State?....tough shit...there are other ways to protest.  When they wave the Iranian flag and play that anthem...you get up off your shia shin guards and stand out of respect!  You save your outcries for another forum.  It's not about politics or faith, it's about the flag and what it represents.'  You can't abide this shit, no matter what country you're in...

Edited by YGIFS
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Doesn't sounds like any joint team pictures are on the horizon.

https://www.si.com/soccer/2022/11/28/iran-threatens-torture-families-ahead-usmnt-match-report

Iran has threatened families of players on the Iranian World Cup team with “violence and torture” if the players don’t “behave” in the match vs. the United States men's national team on Tuesday, CNN’s Sam Kiley reports.

• Rage+1 3

An interesting read from NYT which highlights how the world prioritizes soccer and the WC over other current issues, and how businesses prioritize their revenue (surprise surprise) as they follow the money via the fans and viewers. The quoted is NYT; bold emphasis my own:

"Countries — the next World Cup will be in the United States, Canada and Mexico — trip over themselves for the chance to host the nearly monthlong tournament. Many governments in Asia, South America and Africa, future growth markets for big business, care little about the social issues that dominate Western news media coverage. It’s all a sharp contrast to the way cities have often had to abandon plans to bid to host the Olympics in the face of fierce public opposition. And FIFA, mindful that soccer is a winning program for governments, has promised large funding for its national associations — a sure way to keep countries loyal.

Still, the biggest brands, including Visa, Sony and McDonald’s, were quick to sign up and showed little sign of jumping ship amid the controversy. When Bloomberg contacted 76 FIFA sponsors and teams this month, not one said it was reconsidering its participation. Adidas expects up to a 400-million euro sales boost from the tournament.

The market has spoken: There has been no detectable business boycott and, as FIFA points out, sponsorships are sold out, with longtime partners like Coca-Cola and Adidas appearing alongside newcomers like Crypto.com.

Back home, many of these companies are quick to advertise their environmental, social and governance, or E.S.G., credentials, and market their commitment to causes such as L.G.B.T.Q. rights. Yet even in an era where a corporate misstep in Qatar can be amplified on social media, the tournament is showing that companies are willing to risk a backlash that they bet will be forgiven (or forgotten) as long as the world is tuning in. The potential payoff is enormous. Soccer is the world’s most popular sport, and FIFA expects five billion people to watch the tournament (think the Super Bowl viewership times roughly 50). FIFA expects the event to generate about $4.7 billion. The organization has seemingly shaken off the scandal, and is awash in money and with all of the power that goes with it."

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

On 11/22/2022 at 4:46 PM, texasdago said:

image.thumb.jpeg.5255dfc7b9fd5068dbd627a3bd048cb7.jpeg

This is so dumb.  Just because they are kickass athletes in one sport does not mean they would be kickass in soccer.  That tweet was one of the most idiotic American tweets I've seen in a while.  

5'7" Messi is not worried about playing Kevin Durant in soccer.

who is the absolute dogshit worst team at the world cup? Qatar? Iran? Whoever, they are, they would beat that nfl/nba ass like a gay protestor. Most of those guys wouldn't last a half, much less an entire 90 minutes. It would be a joke.

Goddamn ESPN, everytime I think you couldn't suck worse or be more of a joke, you outdo yourself.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, High Plains Drifter said:

who is the absolute dogshit worst team at the world cup? Qatar? Iran? Whoever, they are, they would beat that nfl/nba ass like a gay protestor. Most of those guys wouldn't last a half, much less an entire 90 minutes. It would be a joke.

Goddamn ESPN, everytime I think you couldn't suck worse or be more of a joke, you outdo yourself.

Mahomes isn't even close to an elite athlete by football standards.  He has an elite arm, but that obviously means nothing on the soccer field.  The current USMNT roster already has better athletes than Mahomes.  I don't know dick about the hockey players they have listed.

1 hour ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Mahomes isn't even close to an elite athlete by football standards.  He has an elite arm, but that obviously means nothing on the soccer field.  The current USMNT roster already has better athletes than Mahomes.  I don't know dick about the hockey players they have listed.

Was just talking to someone about athletes and soccer and why the ESPN thread is so dumb.

Sebastian Giovinco was a "decent" player at Juventus... good, not great.  As an international player, he really didn't accomplish much for the Italian squad. Only one goal in 23 appearances.  He left Juventus, went to Toronto in the MLS in a league dominated by American and Central American players and went on to average 20 goals a season... MVP one year, playoffs, etc.  He's 5' 4" and, like someone said, would run all over most of these other amazing athletes. 

• Hook 'Em 2

In off the field Qatar related current events...

The US approved a $1B military drone deal for Qatar, intended to bolster their capabilities against the Iranians, during half time of the US-Iran game. 

https://apnews.com/article/iran-united-states-middle-east-qatar-doha-bf3b70dbd1cd743fbeb2bc7a8402e24e

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Biden administration on Tuesday approved a $1 billion arms sale to Qatar in a transaction unveiled during halftime of the key World Cup 2022 match in Doha between Iran and the United States.

The State Department announced it had signed off on Qatar’s purchase of 10 defensive drone systems, 200 interceptors and related equipment just as the second half of the US-Iran game began. Qatar, along with other Gulf Arab states, faces threats from Iranian-backed proxies in the region.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

That shit happens to very world cup and the soccer haters eat it up. It's stupid and hopefully stops 

2 hours ago, Born to Run said:
2 hours ago, Zepol87 said:
That shit happens to very world cup and the soccer haters eat it up. It's stupid and hopefully stops 

I always laughed in High School when the football players "who used to play soccer" tried out for the soccer team. Lot of falling on your ass happening despite elite speed.

Not to mention coaching by volunteer football dads... "just line up and practice taking shots on the goal"

On 11/16/2022 at 8:30 PM, crash_davis said:

I cannot wait until the world fully moves to electric vehicles so that we can finally give the middle fucking finger to the Middle East and Houston.

Yeah man, fuckin’ A bro. Let’s celebrate the downfall of Texas and many people on here. Even though I have no idea what I’m talking about and none of that will ever come to fruition in my lifetime. Fuckin’. A. 

3 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Yeah man, fuckin’ A bro. Let’s celebrate the downfall of Texas and many people on here. Even though I have no idea what I’m talking about and none of that will ever come to fruition in my lifetime. Fuckin’. A. 

You need to diversify your bonds…

—Wu-Tang Financial

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

If oil bros went down I wouldn't be mad

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

7 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

If oil bros went down I wouldn't be mad

Considering it’d harm the Texas economy, considerably, yes you would. Considering it would harm me?  Start walking it back now fucko. 

10 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

Yes, we should go back to coal, put lead back in gasoline and paint, and bring back asbestos.

Economies and people evolve. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

9 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I mean, thought what I said was ridiculous enough that most folks would immediately recognize it for what it was. Apparently I miscalculated. 

come on man, this is surly. Dumb shit is posted here all the time.

But yeah, I should've known. I'm taking my sarcasmometer in tomorrow for its annual calibration.