Qatar World Cup thread of off-the-pitch drama and debauchery

TexasHooch

I would think InBev general counsel and outside counsel would have a proviso in the sponsorship contract considering they knew for 6 whole years they'd be doing business with a govrnment who has effectively banned beer in their nation-state.  I'm sure 90% of the deal was for TV positioning with the on-site beer tents just kind of a "nice to have."  

Who is the frontrunner on the 2030 bid right now?  I know the selection won't be made for another 18 months or so, but I don't follow the FIFA message boards at all.  

I know Morocco and Iberia are in the official mix.  I know it would mix confederations but who cares after this Qatari shitshow...but it would be cool to see Portugal, Spain, and Morocco go in as one.  Spain and Morocco effectively have the Canary Islands in common, which has two large football venues (22k & 32k).  They could use the 3 nations plus the islands.  I dunno, wishful thinking.  I'm sure now that FIFA has "cleaned house"...the bid will probably be a co-host between Russia and North Korea or some shit. 

Edited by YGIFS
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

This just signals that the Qataris are done with all this bullshit. They’ve had their feelings hurt over the fact that Westerners aren’t just showing up and enjoying soccer, as they expected. They’re asking questions about slavery, flying Lufthansa jets celebrating “diversity,” and contributing to talk about the corruption that led to Qatar having the World Cup to begin with.

So now they’re not in any mood to accommodate any Western sensibilities or expectations. And the result is going to be an absolute shitshow.

And I am here for it. Odds on some terrorist event? Local protests? Anyone make a bingo card? 

• Hook 'Em 1

Qatar wanted to use this to show the world that they are a great nation.   They flubbed that, and are now doubling down on the shit that people mock them for.
How many Westerners will end up in jail in Qatar?

Well the lack of beer should reduce the amount of buttsecks, so…fewer?
  • Haha 1

I'm not skipping the football.  However, every decent human being outside of the Middle East should make it a point to not do business with any of the sponsors of this disaster of humanity.  I mean if all this news just dropped due to some leak, that'd be one thing.  But Qatar is shitty to its people, shitty to foreigners, shitty to women, shitty to gays, shitty to laborers, shitty to immigrants, shitty to non-muslims, and now shitty to sponsors apparently---and that's the bridge too far?

Fuck Adidas, fuck Budweiser, fuck Coca-Cola, fuck FIFA.  

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

How is stupid and a joke any different from the trash tv Americans, especially the womens, watch every day?

How is that relevant, at all? It's stupid and a joke because all of these problems were very predictable and we will all point and laugh at it.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Ghost of LL said:

This just signals that the Qataris are done with all this bullshit. They’ve had their feelings hurt over the fact that Westerners aren’t just showing up and enjoying soccer, as they expected. They’re asking questions about slavery, flying Lufthansa jets celebrating “diversity,” and contributing to talk about the corruption that led to Qatar having the World Cup to begin with.

So now they’re not in any mood to accommodate any Western sensibilities or expectations. And the result is going to be an absolute shitshow.

Here for the shitshow...and the soccer.

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Mez2 said:

thats a shitload of bud light going untapped, anyone checked on steel shank. seems like he'd be all about getting some free Qatari bud light delivered to him 

This is a good point. Ship those kegs back to the good ol' USA and sponsor some epic game watching parties

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Pam Cummings said:

How is that relevant, at all? 

Dummy Feeling Dumb GIF

1) You said you weren't going to watch because it's stupid and a joke. 

2) Given the TV most Americans, especially women, watch every day is stupid and a joke then those should not be factors that prevent you from watching. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Dummy Feeling Dumb GIF

2) Given the TV most Americans, especially women, watch every day is stupid and a joke then those should not be factors that prevent you from watching. 

I don't watch any of those shows either though. I can't control what other people watch. So whatever "point" you think you're making is still irrelevant.

Edited by Pam Cummings

20 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Dummy Feeling Dumb GIF

What stupid TV do I watch? 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, TornACL said:

If it's Bud Heavy, just leave it in the desert to rot.

Many moons ago, having Easter dinner out at the ranch of a buddy's dad near town.  Buddy and dad are hispanic, in the home building business.  Both fluently bilingual, even with accented speech, but quite attentive to the hierarchy.

As we're all standing around the smoker, drinking beer, grabbing sausage wraps right off the grill, and bullshitting, one of the guests shows up with a 12er of Bud Heavy.  Buddy's dad says, in accented English, "man, what you bringing that shit for?  That's wetback beer!"  I damn near spit out my (not Bud Heavy) beer.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I'm suspecting "all of it?"  Surely you've got some Bachelor and Real Housewives of Wherever and somesuch in your watchlist.

Hes Right GIF by MOODMAN

Or the Chip and Joanna, Property Bros, Tiny Houses shows, and the myriad of shows where people have to get married or engaged to people they don't know. 

Nothing wrong with enjoying the distraction of it but it's all fake nonsense. If that's not too stupid to watch then the Qatari shit show World Cup surely isn't. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

They don't want that shit in Belgium. 

I agree.  But it’s the InBev HQ.  I like the idea of giving to the troops on base but I’m sure there’s some agreement in place the installations have to stay dry.  Wait, just got an idea for another ‘real kingdom of evil’ voiceover.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, crash_davis said:

We went through this with recent China and Russian winter Olympics. Both countries just ignored the criticisms and continued with the games. 

Qatar seems to be a giant gaping bitch about the criticisms. What the fuck did they expect?

I’m pretty sure there was plenty of vodka available in Russia.

1 minute ago, conVINCEd said:

I’m pretty sure there was plenty of vodka available in Russia.

That's my point. Russia and China both decided eh, fuck the haters. We gonna have a great time. F them never the less.

Qatar seems to be you hurt my feelings, I'm going to be a bitch and add more fuel to the fire.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1