Qatar World Cup thread of off-the-pitch drama and debauchery

TexasHooch

29 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I agree.  But it’s the InBev HQ.  I like the idea of giving to the troops on base but I’m sure there’s some agreement in place the installations have to stay dry.  Wait, just got an idea for another ‘real kingdom of evil’ voiceover.  

Yeah, those bases were always dry. But they have C-17's flying back stateside. Send that shit to Bragg and practice tactical air drops. let the 82nd have a party out at a drop zone. 

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, usmc0331horn said:

Just send the steak and Budweisers to Vietnam for Forrest and company.

For a whole five minutes, I thought you were referring to Forrest Whitaker in "Good Morning Vietnam."  Then I remembered, it was Ba Muoi Ba beer with a little added formaldehyde for flavor.  /jimmy  

so yeah, about the same taste as Bud Light.  

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

I agree.  But it’s the InBev HQ.  I like the idea of giving to the troops on base but I’m sure there’s some agreement in place the installations have to stay dry.  Wait, just got an idea for another ‘real kingdom of evil’ voiceover.  

Most of the military installations in the Gulf states have an exception that allows alcohol on base, Al Udeid included.  During my time, Kuwait was the only one that didn't relent (we were out of Saudi by then) and we had to schmooze visits to the various embassies to get a drink. 

• Hook 'Em 4

8 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

GIF by Giphy QA

I mean, tomorrow, during the Kansas game, there's this alternative on:

AN UNEXPECTED CHRISTMAS

A speech writer makes a deal with his ex-girlfriend to pretend they're a couple to save his family's Christmas. It's not long before both the ruse and their feelings catch up with them. Stars Bethany Joy Lenz, Tyler Hynes.

digi21-anunexpectedchristmas-landscape-7

It's surely a better alternative than watching Texas find a way to shit the bed in a road game at Kansas.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3
  • Rage+1 2

7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I mean, tomorrow, during the Kansas game, there's this alternative on:

AN UNEXPECTED CHRISTMAS

A speech writer makes a deal with his ex-girlfriend to pretend they're a couple to save his family's Christmas. It's not long before both the ruse and their feelings catch up with them. Stars Bethany Joy Lenz, Tyler Hynes.

digi21-anunexpectedchristmas-landscape-7

It's surely a better alternative than watching Texas find a way to shit the bed in a road game at Kansas.

I love how you trot this shit out like you JUST discovered it in the guide.

we all know the truth.... Your DVR doesnt lie..... this shit was set to record by your DVR and you had to cancel it to allow for the game to be recorded instead.

• Hook 'Em 3

Honestly, I think the royal family did this because the Wahabbi clerics threatened them.  They can withstand the western countries getting a little perturbed at them, but having the clerics turn on them wouldn't be a good idea.  The second thing is if you've never been to Qatar the weather there is fucking brutal.  It's like Houston on steroids.  I could see a lot of alcohol poisoning and hospitalizations.  You get a bunch of dudes from mild climates try to party there for two weeks and you're gonna have a lot of deaths.  That's also not a good PR outlook.  It should never have been hosted there in the first place.  Man, it would be like having Texas play in a night game.  Then Alabama kicking off right afterwards in the same location.   You'd get some Germans waking up at 6 in the morning and drinking until 2AM when the last match starts.  I don't like it but now that I think about it.  It's probably a smart move.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, AUS-97HORN said:

we all know the truth.... Your DVR doesnt lie..... this shit was set to record by your DVR and you had to cancel it to allow for the game to be recorded instead.

Why in god's name would anyone want to record the game!?

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

False.

I wouldn't DVR that.

Because I've already seen it.

It's like you don't even know me.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

The second thing is if you've never been to Qatar the weather there is fucking brutal.  It's like Houston on steroids. 

It's November. Not August. It's humid but the highs for the foreseeable future are in the 80s. I don't think anyone would die from just drinking beer outside in a shaded stadium. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Just now, FartingMonk said:

Ah.  Thanks for the correction I was told they stayed the same

The entire reason we have this stupid fall WC is because it's in Qatar and it literally would kill people if they had it there in July. 

Now, 85 with 60% is still hot... but Qatar is far north enough to still have seasons to a degree. It's at a similar latitude as Miami. 

Fans of every country should do what apparently Wales is doing:

Thousands of Wales Fans Travel for the World Cup—To Bars in the Canary Islands

Beer-drinking soccer fans are expected to fill barstools around the palm-fringed party capital of Tenerife to watch the Welsh team play in Qatar

https://www.wsj.com/articles/world-cup-2022-wales-fans-qatar-beer-11668723750

Spoiler

From the mo­ment Wales punched its ticket to the 2022 World Cup in June, Bethany Evans knew she wanted to fol­low the Welsh team for its first ap­pear­ance in the tour­na-ment since 1958.

She just wasn’t con­vinced she wanted to fol­low them all the way to Qatar.

In­stead of an ex­pen­sive trek half­way around the world to the tiny desert king­dom—with its check­ered hu­man-rights record and strict con­trols on al­co­hol—Ms. Evans set her sights on a more ac­com­mo­dat­ing World Cup party spot.

“Some­where warm and cheap,” said Ms. Evans, a health-and-safety man­ager from Pon­typridd, Wales. “So, as a bit of a joke, I posted on Twit­ter: Who’s com­ing to Tener­ife?”

Thou­sands of Welsh fans, it turns out. Tener­ife, Spain, the palm-fringed party cap­i­tal of the Ca­nary Is­lands, is a long­time British get­away and more wel­com­ing of the singing, swear­ing and drink­ing of rau­cous soc­cer fans than Qatar.

The is­land’s bars and restau­rants are ex­pect­ing more than 3,200 Welsh fans for the team’s open­ing game Mon­day against the U.S., po­ten­tially a larger Welsh crowd than in Qatar, where only around 2,000 tick­ets have been al­lo­cated to Wales fans for each match.

“The tweet got a lit­tle bit of trac­tion. About 200 peo­ple liked it and shared it and that got the word out,” Ms. Evans said. In­ter­est surged af­ter she pitched the idea on an evening TV news show in July.

“It re­ally snow­balled from there,” she said.
Ryan Howard joined the ava­lanche headed to the Span­ish sun­shine this week­end. He was on the verge of book­ing a trip to watch the team in per­son and had planned to stay in Dubai, United Arab Emi­rates, and then fly to matches in Doha, Qatar.

Then he caught wind of the un­of­fi-cial Wales watch party in the At­lantic for the group stage games against the U.S., Eng­land and Iran. Tener­ife spoke to him for two rea­sons.

“Hon­estly, the cheap hol­i­day and the beer,” said Mr. Howard, a cre­ative de­signer from Llan­beris in North Wales, who will be joined by 13 friends.

“We’re mak­ing the best of the sit­u­a­tion,” he said.

So are the is­land’s bar and restau-rant own­ers. Kelly Spiers has lived in Tener­ife for 26 years and runs The Orig­i­nal Wigan Pier pub, as well as its sis­ter bar, La Flaca. She had ex­pected a quiet crowd while the World Cup played out in Qatar. Now, it looks like she struck oil.

“There’s so many of them com­ing, I was just say­ing to my hus­band, ‘We don’t know what we’ve let our­selves in for.’ ” Ms. Spiers said. “The cater­ing com­pany is ter­ri­fied.”

In the past week, she or­dered an ad­di­tional 18 bar­rels of the lo­cal Do­rada beer. “Our sup­plier has set me up with a hot­line in case we run out,” she said.

Ms. Spiers ex­pects to wel­come roughly 400 Wales sup­port­ers to her two bars for each game. They have been dec­o­rated with red-and-green bunting, the col­ors of the Wales team. Welsh flags hang on the wall, and a Welsh choir will ser­e­nade fans at half­time.

Pints of beer will sell for €1, or roughly one dol­lar. A spe­cial red-and-green cock­tail, made of straw­berry liqueur and creme de men­the, will be avail­able in 1- or 3-liter pitch­ers. It’s been named the “cwtch,” the Welsh word for a hug.

“It’s go­ing to be like a sup­port­ers vil­lage for us,” said Rho­dri Mor­gan, a 39-year-old ac­count man­ager for a re­tail pack­ag­ing com­pany. He is headed to Tener­ife for four days with 23 friends, in­clud­ing two neigh­bors, both in their 80s. “They still like to have a drink and have a party,” Mr. Mor­gan said.

In Qatar, the of­fi­cial FIFA Fan Fes­ti­val in Doha’s Al Bidda Park promises fam­ily friendly en­ter­tain-ment. Beer, which costs nearly $14 and comes in a com­mem­o­ra­tive cup, will be sold only from 6.30 p.m. to 1 a.m. On Fri­day, beer sales were abruptly banned from des­ig­nated spots out­side sta­di­ums, mean­ing the only adult bev­er­age sold at matches will be Bud­weis­er’s zero-al­co­hol beer.

For Gareth Brook­man, knock­ing back a beer is as much a part of the Wales match­day ex­pe­ri­ence as singing the na­tional an­them and root­ing against Eng­land. Six years ago, he went to the Eu­ropean Cham­pi­onship in France, where Wales staged a Cin­derella run to reach the semi­fi-nals.

This time, he picked Tener­ife over the host na­tion be­cause it will have more of a tour­na­ment vibe. “The 90-minute game, don’t get me wrong, that’s one thing I will miss,” said Mr. Brook­man, who coaches youth soc­cer in Cardiff. “But for me, it’s about the whole ex­pe­ri­ence, be­ing able to walk down the street with a pint in your hand.”

Tener­ife has its draw­backs. The three-hour time dif­fer­ence with Qatar means Welsh fans will have to ne­go­ti­ate some un­usu­ally early kick­offs.

The team’s sec­ond match against Iran starts at 10 a.m. lo­cal time. Ms. Spiers said she would open her two pubs three hours early, in case any fans need some­thing to calm pregame jit­ters.

“That’s my fa­vorite part, the buildup to the games,” Mr. Brook­man said. “I’ll prob­a­bly just head straight to the bar for break­fast.”

Wales could eas­ily have one foot in the round of 16 by the end of the first week of the tour­na­ment. If that hap­pens, the team will re­main in Qatar and an­other red-and-green wave is likely to hit the Ca­nary Is­lands.

“I’m only out there for four days,” Mr. Mor­gan said. “But look­ing at the team we’ve got now, we might never have a bet­ter chance. There’s al­ready talk that we might go back.”

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

8 minutes ago, ztejas said:

The entire reason we have this stupid fall WC is because it's in Qatar and it literally would kill people if they had it there in July. 

Now, 85 with 60% is still hot... but Qatar is far north enough to still have seasons to a degree. It's at a similar latitude as Miami. 

Yeah.  I was there from June to July.  I described it to my buddies as the Vegas heat with the Houston humidity.  It literally sucks the life out of you

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Guadaloopy said:

Most of the military installations in the Gulf states have an exception that allows alcohol on base, Al Udeid included.  During my time, Kuwait was the only one that didn't relent (we were out of Saudi by then) and we had to schmooze visits to the various embassies to get a drink. 

Must have changed from my visit there. The rule I knew was you could drink if on leave in the city (at a hotel) but not on base due to General Orders. And yeah, Kuwait sucked. Bahrain's O-Club at the Naval Base was pretty cool. Oman was the best. Got hammered at Masirah Island with the brits when on a site visit. 

1 hour ago, AUS-97HORN said:

DVR?

Guide?!

What year is this?

7241834d5bb6c69744c875100c078ad2.jpg

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

No one that cares about soccer isn't watching the World Cup. I mean, it's unfortunate that it's being held in Qatar, but the blood is on FIFA's hands - not the fans. 

I'm hoping it's a complete fucking disaster off the field but wonderful matches on the field.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

And this.

If I want to watch Texas shit the bed in a road game, I can just watch the replay of pretty much any Texas game from the past few years on the LHN.

Just watch it Monday on “Rewind”. This way you can hear Sark talk about complementary football for 60 minutes 

2 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Real talk, it’s really been a mistake to bring big events to the rest of the world. Europe. North America. Latin America. Oceania plus Japan and Korea. South Africa. 

We will put on our own sports stuff and you’re welcome to come play. No, we’re not coming to your place, don’t ask. 

I’m going to try and watch the World Baseball Classic next year.

2 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

We will put on our own sports stuff and you’re welcome to come play. No, we’re not coming to your place, don’t ask. 

Oh but I bet your tune would change if you were presented with briefcases of cash, and a bevy of hookers at your beck and call.