Qatar World Cup thread of off-the-pitch drama and debauchery

TexasHooch

Seems we’ve heard about rampant corruption for decades and yet every four years the venues are full and the ratings kill. Apparently nobody who matters gives a shit and it doesn’t really affect me as a casual observer. I’m surprised the beer thing hasn’t made a difference. That’s about as shitty and absurd a reversal as I’ve ever seen and if there’s one thing that gets sports fans riled up it’s lack of alcohol. Where are the fucking riots? Hooligans should be burning those death trap stadiums to the ground right now! Are only locals attending? That might make sense actually, you couldn’t pay me to visit those creepy oil wealth monarchies. 

26 minutes ago, Deej said:

Smart woman.

Nevermind the ecological disaster of the sex beaches: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/tourists-sex-on-the-beach-leaves-lizards-exposed-zmlh65pgm#:~:text=British tourists having sex in,nature reserve in Gran Canaria.

British tourists having sex in public places are damaging the fragile ecosystem in sand dunes on a Canary Islands beach, a study has revealed.

Academic researchers identified 298 “sex spots” among the dunes in protected areas at the Maspalomas nature reserve in Gran Canaria.

SPONSORED

Nebkhas — dune hummocks covered in plants — are regularly affected by visitors treading paths through the vegetation or cutting branches off trees and shrubs to make “a semi-private space”, their report said. The study, entitled “Sand, Sun, Sea and Sex with Strangers”, is published in the Journal of Environmental Management.

According to the research, which noted the large number of tourists from Britain, America and Germany, “the bigger the sex spot, the higher the number of people who made

Yea I have 4 buddies that made the trip and are having a good time so far. They spent 2 days on Cairo and 1 in Amman before getting to Qatar. They have tickets to Mexico Argentina and a couple other games, so far they said they are having a blast. Not in tent cities and they said alcohol is pretty available. 

Edited by Zepol87
  • Hook 'Em 2

Officiating seems problematic.

England, Wales and other European nations will not wear the OneLove armband at the World Cup in Qatar because of the threat of players being booked.

The captains of nine countries, including England's Harry Kane and Gareth Bale of Wales, had planned to wear the armband to promote diversity and inclusion.

A joint statement from seven Football Associations said they could not put their players "in a position where they could face sporting sanctions".

"We are very frustrated by the Fifa decision which we believe is unprecedented," the statement read.

The governing bodies said they had written to Fifa in September informing them about the OneLove armband but not received a response.

"Fifa has been very clear that it will impose sporting sanctions if our captains wear the armbands on the field of play," the statement added.

"We were prepared to pay fines that would normally apply to breaches of kit regulations and had a strong commitment to wearing the armband.

"However, we cannot put our players in the situation where they might be booked or even forced to leave the field of play."

In response, Fifa has brought forward its own "No Discrimination" campaign., which had been due to start from the quarter-finals.

Captains will now be permitted to wear a No Discrimination armband for the duration of the tournament.”

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/63699477?at_campaign=Social_Flow&at_medium=social&at_link_id=27645E26-6983-11ED-886A-D8700EDC252D&at_campaign_type=owned&at_link_type=web_link&at_link_origin=BBCBreaking&at_ptr_name=twitter&at_format=link&at_bbc_team=editorial

Oba, observing the hypocrites, yeah”

Edited by Willfully Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1

Didn’t want to thread shit on the WC thread but I just can’t bring myself to give a shit about this when it is at the wrong time of the year.  This is when baseball ends and football is king.  Summer is for Olympic sports and futbol.  I tried watching and put it back on music.  I will try again this weekend if there is nothing else to do.

• Hook 'Em 2

Didn’t want to thread shit on the WC thread but I just can’t bring myself to give a shit about this when it is at the wrong time of the year.  This is when baseball ends and football is king.  Summer is for Olympic sports and futbol.  I tried watching and put it back on music.  I will try again this weekend if there is nothing else to do.

Same. Feels off.

24 minutes ago, slorch said:

How would Derrick Henry or Micah Parsons be in Rugby?

Our best athletes ain't necessarily on the rugby field.

That’s their national team vs. ours.  I didn’t realize we get to make our best athletes play a sport against their will.  We’d probably be pretty good after 6 months.