Is it possible that partisanship and gridlock can create a focus on elimination of carbon emissions?

The Original Greaser Bob

I know there are still climate change deniers, but it seems to me that there might be some way that reduced emissions, especially if couched in market solutions, might be a subject that there could be some bipartisanship on. 

Everything is divisive.  Some things are less divisive than others.  To me those would be Hank Williams, burritos, and a slightly cleaner earth.

We just went through four years of a Republican President claiming climate change was a hoax. Science denial is part of the GOP brand. When it comes to global warming, nothing is going to change for Republicans as long as they remain in the pocket of the fossil fuel industry lobby and as long as they can misrepresent the Green New Deal in order to frighten their constituents.

An actual GOP candidate for Senate recently said this:

No, the Republicans are going to do the best they can to make sure nothing gets done. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Some other country will take the lead. We'll resist it because we're afraid we won't look tough enough. 

We don't care about that future for children we effuse about. Remember when we were supposed to change our ways so the children wouldn't have to meet the burden of the government debt being run up? Seems nobody took that to heart, particularly the party that espoused it.

Sit in traffic surrounded by over-sized, over-powered vehicles that the drivers likely took out a six year loan for the pleasure to drive. All slowly creep to their office jobs wondering what other useless, harmful shit they can buy because immediate gratification is what we do.

Most never think about something so important as the world changing. Soon if not already, it will be too late to do anything. The thawing of the permafrost is likely irreversible. The carbon/methane release will be colossal. The same oblivious idiots in their cars will shrug. "May as well live it up while we can! Besides, I've been hearing for decades everything will be fine and the scientists are lying for money."

Greta will have the maybe the least fulfilling utterance of I told you so in history.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Strip mining for lithium will need to steadily increase as we go more and more electric.  After we eventually pat ourselves on the back for our carbon footprint, we'll need to figure something out on the desolation side.  But the good news is we'll pay the 3rd world countries to bite the bullet and tear up their landscape first.

• Rage+1 2