Make a kid walk .5 mile home = child endangerment. We have lost our fucking minds.

crash_davis

Holy fucking shit. I can't even...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/texas-child-protective-services-waco-heather-wallace-b2226799.html

Texas mother lost her home and job and was threatened with jail after asking eight-year-old son to walk home alone

Texas mother who asked her misbehaving eight-year-old son to walk half a mile home through a quiet suburban neighbourhood says her life was upended after she was charged with child endangerment.

Mother-of-three Heather Wallace, 37, a qualified teacher and child sleep therapist, faced up to 20 years in prison if convicted of the second-degree felony charge.

Rather than risk jail time, Ms Wallace told The Independent she admitted the offence and carried out a community service programme.

She was forced to resign from her job and is now barred from working with children. She and husband Scott have sold their family home to cover legal and medical bills, and both have sought treatment for stress as a result of the incident, she said.

Ms Wallace told The Independent the nightmare began one afternoon last October when her eldest son, eight-year-old Aiden, began throwing a tantrum while she was driving home from karate practice with younger brothers Liam and Declan.

Ms Wallace said she asked Aiden to get out of the car and walk the short distance back through an area that he knew well and often rode his bike around unsupervised, with sidewalks and little traffic.

“When he gets like that we have our routine, we can’t engage with him. He calms down just fine after that and we can kind of move on.

“I opened the door and he got out. There was no shouting, there was no argument, I know not to argue with a child in that state of mind.”

Ms Wallace says a woman who lives a block away from their home spotted Aiden and called the police.

Two patrol cars responded and a few minutes later, officers from the Waco Police Department knocked on the door and questioned her at length on her porch while Aiden remained in the back of the cruiser.

“Aiden’s still upset that they treated him like a baby — he’s adamant he could work home,” she says.

Ms Wallace says the officer told her that sex trafficking of minors was an issue in downtown Waco, a world away from their quiet residential area.

She says the officer asked her prying questions about why her house was so messy.

When he inquired if she would allow her children to walk home again now that she had been informed about sex traffickers, she was arrested, handcuffed behind her back and put in the back of a patrol car as her three kids watched on.

Ms Wallace said a case worker from Texas Child Protective Services arrived and grilled her about her parenting habits while she was still handcuffed in the back of the cruiser.

“I think they were trying to figure out what to do with me — and whether what I had done was illegal or not.”

Heather Wallace says she tries to give her sons Aiden, Liam and Declan the freedom to be independent

Around three hours after police had turned up at her doorstep, she was taken to McLennan County Jail and booked on charges of endangering a child, a second-degree felony that carries a mandatory two year prison sentence.

Ms Wallace’s husband Scott posted her $300 bail the next day.

After her release, child services forced the parents to agree to a safety plan, which meant they were not allowed to be alone with the children.

Ms Wallace told The Independent the children’s grandmothers took turns spending the night at their home for the next two weeks until the order was lifted.

“At the time we didn’t know anything about (child protective services) or what we should or shouldn’t agree to do,” Ms Wallace said.

She hired an attorney, who told her that if convicted she faced a minimum of two-years in prison and could be sentenced to up to 20 years.

“I wanted to fight the charges, but I didn’t really know what my rights were.”

Ms Wallace agreed to plead guilty and carried out a diversion programme which included 65 hours work at an early childhood centre.

She was forbidden from being there during weekdays when children were around, and instead worked weekends, carrying out cleaning duties and helping to develop the school curriculum.

Ms Wallace said she also had to undergo random drug testing, and was forced to leave her children alone to travel to testing centres.

Scott and Heather Wallace are trying to rebuild their lives after she was charged with child endangerment

Due to the child endangerment conviction, she was forced to resign from the pediatric sleep consultancy firm where she had previously worked and is barred from finding work as a teacher.

Under the strain of thinking they might lose their kids, both parents sought therapy, an added expense after their income had already been shorn in half.

The financial toll forced the family to sell their home, and they are now living in a rented duplex nearby. They hope to eventually build on a one-acre plot of land they have purchased, where the three boys will be able to roam outside.

Ms Wallace’s sister Britt has set up a GoFundme page to help ease their financial burden.

Ms Wallace also said she lost confidence in her own ability as a mother, something she has been working hard to regain.

“It’s all very painful. I know I need to be confident in the parenting decisions I make because they’re mine to make, instead always worrying about what other people are thinking.”

She says she wants other mums and dads to know their rights and also respect other people’s parenting choices.

“We’re all trying to do what’s right for our kids, they have their own personalities, and have different needs.”

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 7

1 minute ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Her kids are named Aiden, Liam, and Declan? Sounds like child endangerment just giving them those names to me.

I did LOL at "the klan". Not hiding that shit at all.

Edit: Yes I know it's supposed to be pronounce "deck-len". But that's not how Mr. Garvey would pronounce that shit.

Edited by crash_davis
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

1 -- that story sounds outrageous and stupid.

2 -- in my experience of seeing years of these "outrageous" stories, there is almost certainly more to the story that we're not getting, that makes it not as "absurd!  cut and dried!" as it seems.

I wouldn't doubt that there is dumbassery on the part of the cops and prosecution.  But there is also almost certainly some real dumbassery on the part of mom that we're not hearing about.

can't you lawyerly types get the police report?

3 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

There's some real satanic panic in Waco these days.  I'm sure it's all QAnon-adjacent.  But there are billboards all around Waco about sex trafficking ("Not in my town!").  It's just really weird that people in Waco think that their town is some hub for international sex trafficking.

As always, that town is just fucking nuts.

Well, good thing David Koresh and his followers didn't fondle little kids.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

1 -- that story sounds outrageous and stupid.

2 -- in my experience of seeing years of these "outrageous" stories, there is almost certainly more to the story that we're not getting, that makes it not as "absurd!  cut and dried!" as it seems.

I wouldn't doubt that there is dumbassery on the part of the cops and prosecution.  But there is also almost certainly some real dumbassery on the part of mom that we're not hearing about.

Yup, this also makes me immediately suspicious.

"Ms Wallace’s sister Britt has set up a GoFundme page to help ease their financial burden."

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, 'stache said:

Yup, this also makes me immediately suspicious.

"Ms Wallace’s sister Britt has set up a GoFundme page to help ease their financial burden."

I imagine the police report will answer how bullshit the charges are. But we do know the police have a way of embellishing events and actions.

20 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

But there is also almost certainly some real dumbassery on the part of mom that we're not hearing about.

Yup. There's a process that has to be followed. You don't go straight to a safety plan based on one incident from what I understand. 

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

Or went full Karen on him.

South Park Manager GIF - South Park Manager Karen - Discover & Share GIFs

It all started because some Karen called the police. Maybe the exchange in the car wasn't as calm as the Mom said it to be. Maybe the kid was freaking the fuck out while she was kicking his ass out of the car. Karen was going to save the day and called the police because the Mom just invited brown people to kidnap her child.

I live 3.1 miles from my ex.   My then 14 yr old son did not get ready to go back to his moms house in time and I had to leave to get an appointment.  I left.   Which includes two two lane 40mph+ streets.(Lockhill and Huebner if you know the area)  There are sidewalks and it was 4pm ish and told him to walk and he did. I texted his mom and let her know to expect him in about an hour.   He had his phone and his backpack.  It started sprinkling.  He wasn't late again and I think he gained a bit of confidence and indpendence.

Edited by midtown
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, midtown said:

I live 3.1 miles from my ex.   Which includes two two lane 40mph+ streets.  There are sidewalks.   My then 14 yr old son did not get ready to go back to his moms house in time and I had to leave to get an appointment.  I left. and told him to walk and he did. I texted his mom and let her know to expect him in about an hour.   He had his phone and his backpack.  It started sprinkling.  He wasn't late again and I think he gained a bit of confidence and indpendence.

You bastard!  Fiend!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, midtown said:

I live 3.1 miles from my ex.   Which includes two two lane 40mph+ streets.  There are sidewalks.   My then 14 yr old son did not get ready to go back to his moms house in time and I had to leave to get an appointment.  I left. and told him to walk and he did. I texted his mom and let her know to expect him in about an hour.   He had his phone and his backpack.  It started sprinkling.  He wasn't late again and I think he gained a bit of confidence and indpendence.

someone call CPS on this deranged parent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

It all started because some Karen called the police. Maybe the exchange in the car wasn't as calm as the Mom said it to be. Maybe the kid was freaking the fuck out while she was kicking his ass out of the car. Karen was going to save the day and called the police because the Mom just invited brown people to kidnap her child.

Don't disagree, but this quote from the mom makes me think there's some Karen in her too.

“It’s all very painful. I know I need to be confident in the parenting decisions I make because they’re mine to make, instead always worrying about what other people are thinking.”

There isn't a statute anywhere in the country that would consider the story as told felony child endangerment. This quote also is suspicious.

"She hired an attorney, who told her that if convicted she faced a minimum of two-years in prison and could be sentenced to up to 20 years.

“I wanted to fight the charges, but I didn’t really know what my rights were."

You hired an attorney but didn't know your rights? The whole article just reeks of bullshit. Maybe I'm wrong and some Waco PD and DHS lost their minds, but I just don't buy this version of events. If the latter is true, her or her husband have to have pissed someone off internally either before these events or in the middle of them, because there is no possible way this was just a routine case of child endangerment proceedings.

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 9

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

Don't disagree, but this quote from the mom makes me think there's some Karen in her too.

There isn't a statute anywhere in the country that would consider the story as told felony child endangerment. This quote also is suspicious.

"She hired an attorney, who told her that if convicted she faced a minimum of two-years in prison and could be sentenced to up to 20 years.

“I wanted to fight the charges, but I didn’t really know what my rights were."

You hired an attorney but didn't know your rights? The whole article just reeks of bullshit. Maybe I'm wrong and some Waco PD and DHS lost their minds, but I just don't buy this version of events.

Agreed, but the whole premise of this is that she made her son walk .5 mile in a neighborhood. Maybe there was a heated argument which led to his getting kicked out. Maybe her house is messy like the cop pointed out. If that's all that is needed for Child Endangerment to be charged against a parent, then we are all fucked.

Again, how easy would it be to pull the police report. There better be a shitton more damning stuff in it or this is just beyond fucked.

2 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Agreed, but the whole premise of this is that she made her son walk .5 mile in a neighborhood. Maybe there was a heated argument which led to his getting kicked out. Maybe her house is messy like the cop pointed out. If that's all that is needed for Child Endangerment to be charged against a parent, then we are all fucked.

Again, how easy would it be to pull the police report. There better be a shitton more damning stuff in it or this is just beyond fucked.

And I think some of us are saying that premise smells like complete bullshit. My best guess is that there was a file on this family from prior incidences. Whatever it is, its not as simple as this lady is saying. What are your thoughts on "I hired an attorney but agreed to destroy my entire life because I didn't know my rights."?

• Hook 'Em 1

Wait- is the chronology here that it happened, she got charged, offered a plea, accepted the plea, performed the conditions of the plea sold their home to pay lawyer bills for a plea deal, lost her license to teach, and THEN went to the media and go fund me?

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, 'stache said:

And I think some of us are saying that premise smells like complete bullshit. My best guess is that there was a file on this family from prior incidences. Whatever it is, its not as simple as this lady is saying. What are your thoughts on "I hired an attorney but agreed to destroy my entire life because I didn't know my rights."?

Maybe she's an idiot. Maybe they didn't have the money to fight it all the way through. Maybe she was worried about the worst case scenario and hedged. Maybe all of the above.

I tend not to blame the victim when at face value the offending action seems to be making a kid walk .5 mile. Maybe there is more shit, but I will reserve my ire towards her and the family until more damning shit comes to light. 

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

As always, that town is just fucking nuts.

Have I told the story on here how I had a client tell me I was going to get cancer and smited by God for owning Jama-Coaque figures from Ecuador that I have on display in my office? That was a fun way to start off a business relationship, but Waco gonna Waco.

2 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Have I told the story on here how I had a client tell me I was going to get cancer and smited by God for owning Jama-Coaque figures from Ecuador that I have on display in my office? That was a fun way to start off a business relationship, but Waco gonna Waco.

So was that going to be two different events?  Cancer then smiting?  Or was the cancer the tool through which God was going to smite?  And if the latter, why the fuck does God need cancer these days?  It used to be that He would fucking smite you directly with His own hand.  But now he outsources that shit to cancer?

Sounds like God has gotten lazy in His old age.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Idolator!  Bastard!  Fiend!

I agree with those that think there has to be more to the story.  I'm curious to see if we find out.

I will say that I live almost exactly 0.5 miles away from the elementary school in my suburban neighborhood, and by the time they were 8 years old each of my two kids were walking or riding their bikes to and from school, often alone, every single day.  Unless it was raining heavily, of course, I'm not a monster.

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

I did LOL at "the klan". Not hiding that shit at all.

Edit: Yes I know it's supposed to be pronounce "deck-len". But that's not how Mr. Garvey would pronounce that shit.

The most transparently racist name I've ever seen was a newborn with the first and middle name Reggin Hayden. 

9 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

The most transparently racist name I've ever seen was a newborn with the first and middle name Reggin Hayden. 

Not even close, lol.

"New Jersey Couple Loses Custody of Son Named Adolf Hitler"

https://abcnews.go.com/US/parents-cannot-regain-custody-children-nazi-inspired/story?id=11334970