Tell Me About UTRGV (WAC in 2025)

TheStoicPaisano

• 4 weeks later...

Travis Bush has a big task ahead of him. He likely has to build an FBS program from scratch in the valley

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/35216756/atlantic-sun-wac-teams-pairing-move-fbs-sources-say

Sources said the founding documents for the league state the group intends to move "from what is currently known as FCS football to what is currently known as FBS football at the earliest practicable date."

The schools that have signed on to join the league are WAC football members Stephen F. Austin, Abilene Christian, Utah Tech, Southern Utah and Tarleton State and Atlantic Sun football members Austin Peay, Eastern Kentucky, Central Arkansas and North Alabama.

UT Rio Grande Valley, which recently announced it is starting a program, is also expected to join in 2025, in that program's first season, as the league's 10th member.

Edited by perfectchaos007

4 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

IIRC, his dad was a big coach in the valley back in the day.

I guess he started in the Valley, but he made his name most at Gregory-Portland.  And then when Travis went off to play for SWT in the late 90s, his dad took the San Marcos job.  And that's the last time San Marcos HS has been good at football.  

Travis will at least have the THSCA mafia on his side.

Edited by Beau Vine

On 11/18/2022 at 12:02 PM, TheStoicPaisano said:

Two home stadiums and bands seems weird and less than ideal. How do you develop a strong unified fan base? I get that it was a merger with separate alumni loyalties but their going straight fbs, now would be a good time to try and unify, right?

4 hours ago, 'stache said:

Two home stadiums and bands seems weird and less than ideal. How do you develop a strong unified fan base? I get that it was a merger with separate alumni loyalties but their going straight fbs, now would be a good time to try and unify, right?

that’s weird as fuck, but soooooooooo 956

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/12/2022 at 8:23 AM, 'stache said:

They’re saying they’d only play maybe one game a year in Brownsville. The fanbase isn’t really split, UTPA always had way more alumni & everything than brownsville. It’s just a way to get a game in front of the other biggest population center down there. Everyone was united in hating the new name of the school and ESPECIALLY the mascot. The majority of alumni & students wanted Broncos, then the new university president ignored them and said nope we’ll name you after some ranch hands. The optics of him being an out of state white guy and doing that didn’t help. But people are used to it now and the feeling has largely moved to indifference. 

On 12/11/2022 at 3:35 PM, LTtxfan said:

giphy.gif

I don't know much about his history, but I know he was OC at Texas State when my fellow Weslaco Panther Mishak Rivas played there. Actually had some success there if I remember correctly. I got to meet him once when he came to Weslaco high on a recruiting trip. Needless to say, he did not extend me an offer SMH.

On 12/15/2022 at 7:34 PM, tx 3 putt said:

I'm honestly stunned that Mishak is so well-spoken.  He was literally so stupid in college that Texas State never even bothered to get him in a degree plan; they basically said, "This guy is good enough that it will be great to get a couple of seasons out of him before he becomes ineligible for not making progress to a degree."

• Haha 1

On 12/11/2022 at 11:54 PM, ButtFumble said:

you are just mad they did not take your idea to be the UTRGV Takuaches

Not gunna lie, that would have been a sick mascot / nickname.

Opossum for the actual mascot… but drive a low rider truck into the stadium before every football game. A much cooler version of the sooner schooner.

Call it the ‘Takuache Torkiando’ or something.

IDK.

I’m gringo AF.

But having a opossum  / low rider culture double entendre is beyond awesome, amazingly Texan, and completely unique.

That is all. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

I'm honestly stunned that Mishak is so well-spoken.  He was literally so stupid in college that Texas State never even bothered to get him in a degree plan; they basically said, "This guy is good enough that it will be great to get a couple of seasons out of him before he becomes ineligible for not making progress to a degree."

He was never a troublemaker but he did start taking life more seriously since becoming a dad a few years ago. Dude just didn’t want to play school. Has a growing speed training/personal training business right now. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Dnaguy said:

Not gunna lie, that would have been a sick mascot / nickname.

Opossum for the actual mascot… but drive a low rider truck into the stadium before every football game. A much cooler version of the sooner schooner.

Call it the ‘Takuache Torkiando’ or something.

IDK.

I’m gringo AF.

But having a opossum  / low rider culture double entendre is beyond awesome, amazingly Texan, and completely unique.

That is all. 

you could have an area behind the end zones where they do burnouts after field goals and donuts after touchdowns

7 hours ago, Helobious said:

He was never a troublemaker but he did start taking life more seriously since becoming a dad a few years ago. Dude just didn’t want to play school. Has a growing speed training/personal training business right now. 

Yeah, I guess so.  IIRC, he tried to transfer to Kingsville and got kicked out of there because he wasn't going to class?  He doesn't sound stupid here:

On 11/18/2022 at 7:07 PM, Helobious said:

I didn’t go there myself but will be a superfan once the program forms. If teams in Montana and North Dakota can dominate at that level so can we. 

Man, talk to Sam, Stephen F., Lamar, ACU about dominating football at the FCS level. It ain’t easy. Texas has one championship since the division became FCS, and not many at all at the D-1AA level. 

Recruiting below the FBS level in Texas is hard as shit.  The high school game is so developed, there are so many in-state schools, and so many out of state conference mates. Anyone with an ounce of talent is seen, has film, scrutinized, coached well and some FBS school will take a flyer on a Texas kid.  

The FCS schools and programs are those states’ pride and joy and you’re still getting a bunch of the benefits of being at a “state” flagship school. And take a look at those schools’ rosters and you’ll see a bunch of giant white boys from neighboring states (Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, etc). They aren’t in short supply up there but they are in the RGV all the way north. You can win a hell of a lot of games in FCS with those types of players if they stay in the program all four years.  And they do— whereas a lot of the FCS kids at rosters with more talent get raided by FCS. 

UTRGV will have to make a living off the portal and kids looking for PT from bigger schools. 

Edited by 956 Worldwide