The Menu

austingirl

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Okay, I finished this last night and liked it, but I was dozing a little, and there's a few things I didn't really get...

Spoiler

I get why he killed some of the folks... the finance bros were dicks, the critic and editor was responsible for restaurant closings, and the nine-fingered man was a philanderer... but what sins did John Leguizamo +1 and the Angela from Who's the Boss commit?

On 1/6/2023 at 5:27 PM, Saint Austin said:

Okay, I finished this last night and liked it, but I was dozing a little, and there's a few things I didn't really get...

Hide contents

I get why he killed some of the folks... the finance bros were dicks, the critic and editor was responsible for restaurant closings, and the nine-fingered man was a philanderer... but what sins did John Leguizamo +1 and the Angela from Who's the Boss commit?

Spoiler

I thought it was about the people he was personally offended by.  John Leguizamo was in the movie he didn't he like.  The nine-fingered man and Angela ate at his restaurant over ten times and took no real interest in it---neither could remember anything they ate.  Not sure about Leguziamo's plus one?  Maybe because she was stealing from Leguziamo.

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Red Five said:
  Hide contents

What did Chef say to the dickhead that made him immediately hang himself? I got into the bourbon last night so I may have missed something.

Spoiler

We don't know.

After ruminating on the fact that he had been conversing with Chef leading up to that night, and was apparently fully aware of what was going to happen, I think his motivation was to be part of the most infamous menu in history. He wasn't oblivious in the beginning, he knew the deaths were coming so there was no shock or other response than to continue snapping photos. Then after the failed cook, Chef told him he wasn't worthy to be included in the dessert course and his mere existence was an affront to fine cuisine. All he wanted was to be on the greatest menu ever, and now he wasn't.

Or maybe something about how he could only get a date if he paid for one. Incels can break from the simplest words.

• Hook 'Em 3

35 minutes ago, veritas aequitas said:

Yes, thought it was great and loved how silly they make the Haute Cuisine shit look stupid.

That and the commentary on class schisms.

In Treme, there was a chef who insisted on everyone saying “Yes, Chef!” to everything he said.  Anthony Bourdain wrote that plot line and insisted it was true.

On 1/7/2023 at 10:20 PM, lemonlime said:
  Hide contents

I thought it was about the people he was personally offended by.  John Leguizamo was in the movie he didn't he like.  The nine-fingered man and Angela ate at his restaurant over ten times and took no real interest in it---neither could remember anything they ate.  Not sure about Leguziamo's plus one?  Maybe because she was stealing from Leguziamo.

Spoiler

He asked Leguizamos's +1 what college she went to and she said Brown. Then asked if she did it on student loans, and she said no. At that point I assume he saw her as part of the same privileged problem.

• Hook 'Em 3

Did not expect that going in.  I've been telling my friends especially the self proclaimed "foodies" to watch it.  I laugh at those kind of meals...and this movies was perfect.

Tortilla scenes had me rolling. 

And how serious and calm the staff was when explaining shit while the guests were freaking out....that kinda shit is horror to me.  Movies like Midsommar...where the locals are crazy but act like they are normal/nice while secretly fucking you up....and if you ask questions they lie with an evil smile like nothing is wrong.

as a big fan of bougie food and cooking shows and fine dining, i fucking loved this movie.

@Bozo_Casanova needs to watch this strictly for the bread dish, which might be his favorite.

spoilers follow:

i didn't understand the whole thing with the barrel. was he setting up the hooker to replace the hostess? because i never got that feeling; just that he needed her to choose giver or taker. i dunno - that part felt sloppy. but someone was supposed to sneak into his house and find the radio, or else that whole thing wouldn't be a set up, right? why else even have a powered up radio? makes no sense, and kind of took me out of it a bit.

i did love how she spoiled everything by showing up being the wrong woman. that all worked really well, until she found the fake radio, which was obviously a pre-arranged set up. if not her, then who would have found the radio to reveal the big rescue? i thought everything else in the plot was almost perfect, but i couldn't get around this.

and the name thing. erin should have come into it again at some point - that felt important enough to harp on in the beginning, but the chef kept referring to her as margot. missed opportunity, imo

i absolutely loved how the movie eviscerated food culture, and i consider myself a part of the problem. i'm the tyler. 

17 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

That and the commentary on class schisms.

In Treme, there was a chef who insisted on everyone saying “Yes, Chef!” to everything he said.  Anthony Bourdain wrote that plot line and insisted it was true.

Pretty standard in high end restaurants and chefs who used to work at one (see "The Bear")

I wanted to love this, as it came highly recommended, but as Chef said, it was just good or even very good, but not great. B+

Spoiler

I loved it up until it got into Squid Games territory and that is where it lost me as it turned from a funny, smart parody where unlikeable people get their comeuppance into a tale of the absurd and fantasy of a chef who lost his mind and had a philosophical awakening to right his wrongs via sacrifice. 

After the Jeremy's mess it was downhill from there culminating in the cheesy (pun intended) ending for the scrappy service-worker-cum-patron who "got it". 

The most interesting character was the drunk mom. I needed to know and see more from and with her.

Edited by HamsterHookah

18 hours ago, HamsterHookah said:

I wanted to love this, as it came highly recommended, but as Chef said, it was just good or even very good, but not great. B+

Reveal hidden contents

I loved it up until it got into Squid Games territory and that is where it lost me as it turned from a funny, smart parody where unlikeable people get their comeuppance into a tale of the absurd and fantasy of a chef who lost his mind and had a philosophical awakening to right his wrongs via sacrifice. 

After the Jeremy's mess it was downhill from there culminating in the cheesy (pun intended) ending for the scrappy service-worker-cum-patron who "got it". 

The most interesting character was the drunk mom. I needed to know and see more from and with her.

Yeah I give it a B. Pretty good, fairly entertaining. Just didn’t love it. Took a couple nights to finish it since our attention would start shifting away from the movie itself

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, zman13 said:

It's a thread about movies where the second half is a lot different than the first half. 

Not sure if serious (Shirley you can't be serious), but I'll clarify.  The subject of this thread made me immediately think of yours, because holy cow does it switch- much in the same way Dusk Til Dawn does, actually.

I went into this movie knowing nothing about it but the title. I actually really dug it until it flipped the switch- and even though I hated it after that, it wouldn't be fair to say it is a bad movie because it's simply a genre I don't care for.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/21/2022 at 10:43 PM, WBT said:

I liked that a lot.  It was rellay funny, especially Hoult.  Fiennes was good and I'd watch Anya read the phonebook.

Este.  Along with Florence Pugh, ATJ is my current favorite actor/actress rn. 

I enjoyed the movie very much.  It wasn't perfect, and had a sort of ridiculous aspect to it, but in a way I found very entertaining.  

ATJ was a weak link for me-- I thought Ralph Fiennes made the movie with his assistant a close second (I see she's in The Whale, which is on my list).

What's funny is the timing of Noma closing like the day after The Menu dropped (and Noma being an inspiration for the satire): https://www.vulture.com/2023/01/noma-closing-the-menu-inspired-by.html and https://www.nme.com/news/film/the-menu-fans-blame-film-world-best-restaurant-closing-3377323

This might be better for an unpopular opinion thread, but this movie reminded me of it:

Some of you might remember the scathing review of the 27 course experimental michelin starred tasting menu from a couple years ago. I was reminded again of that whole ordeal after watchin The Menu. I get wanting to make fun and poke at seemingly high-handed things like experimental dining, but I do think there is and should be a place for such, "art" as I'll call it, and it's an interesting pursuit for both the chef and the eater. I think there is value in pushing the envelope and to that end, I know the chef was ridiculed for his response, but I actually thought his response was the correct one and he was right:

The scathing review: https://www.everywhereist.com/2021/12/bros-restaurant-lecce-we-eat-at-the-worst-michelin-starred-restaurant-ever/

The chef's response: https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/21152082-declaration-by-chef-floriano-pellegrino

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1