Track & Field

ScottishHorn

Starting this thread because I was watching a race this past weekend won by Caster Semenya.  I think she was running 800m.  I'm not a huge track and field fan so I'm not familiar with her.  While watching I'm thinking to myself,  "that looks like a man." She was even wearing male track gear instead of the women's typical race gear.  While watching I'm thinking this is a transgender person.  She has the size and muscle tone of a Male as well.  I'm thinking..."this seems fair.."  after the race, which she won by about 10-15 meters, the other competitors didnt really congratulate her.  I looked her up to discover she has some sort of genetic higher testosterone level (3× or so than typical woman), although nobody seems to know for sure.  It looks like some racing committee has changed the rules for her for the Olympics.  Regardless,  she definitely has a genetic or self created advantage over other women racers.  Should she be allowed to race?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
1 hour ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

That Ryan Crouser cat is still pretty good too. 

He is! Sweep by the Americans and a good competition between Crouser and Kovacs.

The 110 hurdles had some tragedy: the Jamaican runner, Parchment, pulled his hamstring during warm-ups for the final and then Devon Allen was charged with a false start during the actual race and was DQ'd, thus ending hopes for another sweep (Grant Holloway and Trey Cunningham went first and second). Allen's DQ was one thousandth of a second faster than the allowable reaction time according to the computer. OUCH.

I miss the old rule of charging the first one to the field. Let the computer tag the second one.

• Like 2

Well we are in for a treat Tuesday night with Warholm, dos Santos and Benjamin facing off. After watching their individual qualifying 400 m hurdles, I am stoked. Stoked! Should be jaw dropping. Like last nite's sprint with the Jamaican Women...10.67 time for the winner. No one will ever (imo) be as badass as Flo Jo and she took that same sprint in 10.49. But "Mommy Rocket" Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce is a bad ass...

Pryce captured her fifth world 100 metres title in a championship record 10.67 seconds, leading a Jamaica sweep, and ensuring that the National Anthem will play at Hayward Field for the first time at this World Athletics Championships. Shericka Jackson set a new personal best of 10.73 for second while double sprint Olympic champion Elaine Thompson Herah was third in 10.81.

It is the third time that Jamaica has swept the 100m event at a major championship. It is also the third time that Fraser-Pryce has run 10.67 this season which is the fastest time in the world this year. She erased American Marion Jones’ 10.70 championship record.

In an interview with Television Jamaica (TVJ), she said that in terms of her execution, it is her best yet at a World Championship but still feels she could have done more

Defending champion Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce (centre) led Jamaica to a sweep of the medals in the women’s 100 metres final at the 2022 World Athletics Championships in Eugene, Oregon last night. Fraser-Pryce mined gold in a championship record  10.67 secon

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

Well we are in for a treat Tuesday night with Warholm, dos Santos and Benjamin facing off. After watching their individual qualifying 400 m hurdles, I am stoked. Stoked! Should be jaw dropping.

Can't wait.  That was the best moment of the Olympics.

• Hook 'Em 1

I think dos Santos may shock people. I know it was billed initially as Warholm and Benjamin…but it’s definitely a three man battle. Warholm made sure to give a shout out at dos Santos. The truth is they all pretty much had their qualifying hurdles in the bag and none of them looked like they were even breaking a sweat…not even in their high gear. None of them wanted to show what they have yet. Super excited. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Remaining Schedule for TV and Streaming:

Tue., July 19M400mH, M1500m11:30 p.m.-2:30 a.m.*USA Network

Wed., July 20400m Semifinals, W3000mSC7:30-11 p.m. USA Network

Thu., July 21M800m Semifinals, 200m8-11 p.m. USA Network

Fri., July 22W400mH, 400m8:30-11 p.m. USA Network

Sat., July 23W100mH Heats2-3 p.m. NBC

4x400m Heats8-9 p.m. CNBC

M800m, 4x100m9-11 p.m. NBC

Sun., July 24W100mH Semifinals8-9 p.m. CNBC

W800m, W100mH, 4x400m9-11 p.m. NBC

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Tue., July 19M400mH, M1500m8-11 p.m.Peacock (NBC Sports Feed)

M400mH, M1500m11:30 p.m.-2:30 a.m.*NBCSports.com, NBC Sports app (USA Network simul-stream)

Wed., July 20400m Semifinals, W3000mSC5:55-11:05 p.m.Peacock (World Feed)

400m Semifinals, W3000mSC7:30-11 p.m.NBCSports.com, NBC Sports app (USA Network simul-stream)

Thu., July 21M800m Semifinals, 200m7:35-11:20 p.m.Peacock (World Feed)

M800m Semifinals, 200m8-11 p.m.NBCSports.com, NBC Sports app (USA Network simul-stream)

Fri., July 22W35km RW9:05 a.m.-12:40 p.m.Peacock (World Feed)

W400mH, 400m7:45-11:25 p.m.Peacock (World Feed)

W400mH, 400m8:30-11 p.m.NBCSports.com, NBC Sports app (USA Network simul-stream)

Sat., July 23W100m Heats, Decathlon12:40-4:20 p.m.Peacock (World Feed)

W100mH Heats2-3 p.m.Peacock, NBCSports.com, NBC Sports app (NBC simul-stream)

M800m, 4x100m7-11:40 p.m.Peacock (World Feed)

4x400m Heats8-9 p.m.NBCSports.com, NBC Sports app (CNBC simul-stream)

M800m, 4x100m9-11 p.m.Peacock, NBCSports.com, NBC Sports app (NBC simul-stream)

Sun., July 24M35km RW9:05 a.m.-12:15 p.m.Peacock (World Feed)

Decathlon12:15-6:15 p.m.Peacock (World Feed)

W800m, W100mH, 4x400m7:40 p.m.-12:05 a.m.Peacock (World Feed)

W100mH Semifinals8-9 p.m.NBCSports.com, NBC Sports app (CNBC simul-stream)

W800m, W100mH, 4x400m9-11 p.m.Peacock, NBCSports.com, NBC Sports app 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/18/2022 at 3:05 AM, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Sheesh. 

I saw this one live. That’s such crap. As people have started to inch closer and closer to .1 second reaction, the governing body should have preemptively reduced the time to .09, maybe even .095 if you don’t want to move so dramatically. These guys are training to get great starts, don’t penalize them for a time that will eventually be legal (likely as soon as the next meet next season). 

• Hook 'Em 1

You can stream Peacock for a month. $10 I think. I got it for the TdF.  

The World Athletics’ YouTube channel has dedicated field event streams and a broadcast feed with the British announcers that aren’t annoying as fuck like their American counterparts. Normally, you need to use a euro VPN since NBC has the US rights but they’d turned that off on some streams the other day.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Will post more pics from tomorrow and Sunday. Not first row tomorrow. Wanted to be up higher to have a good view of the entire 4x1. Then Sunday on the home stretch. Hoping for some more special moments!

And everything about this trip and meet make it my new number one sporting event of all time ahead of the Baylor mbb national title and watching the Indy 500 in the Andretti suite a few years ago. (Sorry humble brag. Just giving context of how unreal this is)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Hurdles.

(Only hurdle event of the evening.)

We were all watching last night and it was glorious. Absolutely a joy to watch.

We got to talking about these Champs and realized just how many of the athletes we've seen run/jump/throw in person, including McLaughlin. The Texas Relays puts on a show and the atmosphere is wonderful, but we've also watched a lot of meets at the indoor facility in College Station, including the NCAA champs. I think I've told the story of one of my children congratulating Ryan Crouser on his medal at an indoor meet and getting a fist bump from him. I wish I'd gotten a photo as Ryan was so kind to take the time to talk to a little fan but my child will never forget that, and brings it up when he sees him on television. We've watched both the Kerley brothers run many times, Christian Coleman, Michael Norman and Rai Benjamin running for USC and especially during an epic 4x400 relay, Abby Steiner, Donavan Brazier during his solo year at A&M, Karissa Sweitzer, Muir from Scotland, Athing Mu, all of the outstanding Longhorn runners, and so many of these current and former collegians running indoors at the champs and also showing up to run Olympic development races. A lot of great track and field athletes and venues in Texas, whether in Austin, Houston, Waco, or yes, even College Station so if you haven't gone to a meet, it's electric to watch.

Something for everybody with track and field and we are fans of the sport for sure.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2