Game Week- Baylor.

Wulaw Horn

Baylor will get fired up for us, but the question is how much?  I think, the late loss to TCU took a lot of wind out of their sails.  They consider us to be an in-state rival.  We mostly don't give a flip about them.  I agree the "D" is looking really good and you can't games without it.  The offense is well......just that offensive (at times).  That crap we put on the field with TCU was one of the worst offensive showings I can remember.  What the crew did yesterday was spectacular.  Overall W/L, is pretty tight.  We are 7-4 compared to 6-5.  Conference W/L 5/3 vs 4-4.  Pass the cool aid, we are at home, the offense has some confidence, we shut 'em up and put 'em in their place by 2 scores.  One last thing, I pretty much agree with your thoughts.  The aggy struggle is a saving grace for the year.  Bayou kitty is gonna be a bloodbath next week.

9 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

“Probably” the last game of the regular season?

What did Wulaw Horn know and when did he know it?

I mean, I call (probably stupidly) everything short of the bowls and playoffs part of the regular season. It’s probably because those performances count toward regular season awards and used to count for career statistics while bowl games didn’t count for career statistics (but now do). It’s neither fish nor fowl I guess. 
I said probably because the math is super simple on us playing for the big 12 title- we win and ksu loses. It’s unlikely as we are probably 65% likely to win but ksu is probably 75% likely. If I’m right that means we have about a 17% chance of going to the big 12 title game. 

11 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

This game feels like it sort of determines the season. Win and you go into bowl season with a chance at 9 wins which is helluva lot better than last year’s abortion.

Lose and fuck everything.

Yep. Win and we can still have a good season.

Lose and it is officially a failed season. Everybody should point at Sark and chant "shame"

15 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Baylor has a better rated defense than TCU. Kansas and OU are both ranked higher than 100. They will load the box and stop the run. Quinn completes 50% of his passes. We can’t score. 

TCU has a better pass defense than Baylor in pretty much every meaningful category.

They are identical in yards per play allowed (5.3)

On 11/20/2022 at 5:45 AM, Wulaw Horn said:

So, probably the last game of the regular season. 
7-4. All 4 losses by 1 score. All 4 winnable games. All 4 lost. 2 road wins in a row, 1 in dominating fashion. A beat down of OU. The defense improving a lot week to week. The offense getting worse. But better at some stuff. This season (and the off-season leading up to it) is one of the most indecisive, frustrating, hopeful, hopeless and confounding seasons in recent memory. Is this a step forward in the right direction?  Dead cat bounce?  The start of something special with what we are seeing with Texas One and proof of concept with NIL? Sound and fury signifying nothing?

I have no idea. Beating Baylor probably won’t answer it for me one way or another, but if it’s all the same to y’all I think it’s appropriate for the opponent/institution that we give them a no lube at all, nonconsensual assfucking. 
happy, safe and wonderful Thanksgiving to all on here. 
Game Week commentary as always goes here. 

Good summation of the season.

And I don't have the answer to the questions either. 

1 hour ago, Duane Moore said:

I just hope Sark has some outside runs in the playbook because I don’t like the matchup for our inside zone runs. Majors isn’t going to move Ika anywhere. 

Baylor shut Bijan down last year. I think he ran for like 40 yards or something. They don’t do the 3-safety stuff but are in a 3-man front majority of the time and can bring a lot of different pressures.

Doyle and Jones are also good LB. Their biggest weakness is pass defense. Lost most of their good secondary pieces from last year. 

Edited by Hookem2147

10 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

8-4 was my bar before the year started. Win this one and I consider it a successful season with forward momentum and I'm excited for next year.

It's a shame we wasted Bijan's talent going 8-4 but our million dollar freshman QB is not worth that million dollars yet.

I think I said 8-4/7-5. Just don’t see a lot of teams go from 5-7 to 10-2 with a freshman QB and 2 true frosh on the OL and the lack of quality depth on defense 

• Hook 'Em 3

39 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I think I said 8-4/7-5. Just don’t see a lot of teams go from 5-7 to 10-2 with a freshman QB and 2 true frosh on the OL and the lack of quality depth on defense 

Yep. Quinn has potential but it's not like Caleb Williams transferred in at QB. He's still a freshman. 

Overall I see progress. Pretty good progress. But I get that we all feel like Charlie Brown trying to kick Lucy's football after over a decade of disappointment. Win this one, win the bowl, and get to 10-2 or better next year.

On 11/20/2022 at 6:59 AM, Neonmoon said:

Baylor has a better rated defense than TCU. Kansas and OU are both ranked higher than 100. They will load the box and stop the run. Quinn completes 50% of his passes. We can’t score. 

Agree. We are in trouble. All one has to do is watch film on the TCU and ISU games and see how this will go Friday.

Baylor doesn't get emotional. Their offense does what it does regardless of the opponent.

What it does is run stretch zone. The OL goes toward the wide side and tries to get the DL to follow. The RB takes the pitch and tries to find a cutback gap before he reaches the boundary.

That's the base. Out of that, the want to misdirect. They want to fake wide and toss to the weak side. The QB will pull the mesh and waggle to the opposite side. They'll try "first man through" plays. Passing is based off getting the defense to attack the run and leave the opposite side throw wide open. They use a large, physical TE Sims as a possession receiver to great effect. They lack talent to beat a defense "straight up" in the passing game, but can secure chunk plays when the secondary bites on a misdirection. They like to be plodding, eat clock, and gain first downs. Texas fans will appreciate the strategy from "earlier years" of methodically gaining ground through pounding the run, only to inexplicably do some complicated triple reverse throwback naked blind QB screen shit that fails spectacularly and turns 2nd and 6 at the opponent's 17 to 3rd and 25 at the 36.

Their defense is a violent DT, Apu Ika, and a bunch of guys doing their best. If Ika is allowed to cause havoc by disrupting line play, those guys can flow to the ball. If he's not occupying the offensive backfield, then Baylor's defensive athletes will come up 2nd best in every match up. Texas could simply use Sanders, Whitt, and Robinson to more than deplete Baylor's defensive abilities. Obviously, if the OL has a repeat of the TCU brain cramp, then there's no hope. I'm basing assessments on an aggregate of the season and not that one badly timed crapstorm.

Baylor's offense will have some success. They have hard working players that understand the scheme. If the Texas defense stays disciplined and doesn't start trying to play 3 positions at once, they'll be better than Baylor. Similarly, Baylor's defense will come to stop Bijan. They probably won't be able to do that outright, but Quinn can make the offense's job easy by seeing his elementary reads.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Baylor shut Bijan down last year. I think he ran for like 40 yards or something. They don’t do the 3-safety stuff but are in a 3-man front majority of the time and can bring a lot of different pressures.

Doyle and Jones are also good LB. Their biggest weakness is pass defense. Lost most of their good secondary pieces from last year. 

Siaka Ika is going to be a handful. He is going to feat on the interior OL. That is not a good match up for Majors.