Winter 2022-23 sick thread

Wooo-whee seems like everyone is sick. Kid was home three days last week. On Friday he said six kids were absent in his class. Wife came down with Covid last Sunday... she got over it and bam, it hit me on Friday night. It hit incredibly hard. More mild my ass. RSV, flu, Covid. Hang on to your butts.

This weather doesn't seem to he helping at all either. 

43 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Wooo-whee seems like everyone is sick. Kid was home three days last week. On Friday he said six kids were absent in his class. Wife came down with Covid last Sunday... she got over it and bam, it hit me on Friday night. It hit incredibly hard. More mild my ass. RSV, flu, Covid. Hang on to your butts.

This weather doesn't seem to he helping at all either. 

Yep, both kids and wife are sick, and I’ve been getting shit sleep for the last week, so it’s a wonder I haven’t gotten it.  Literally napping throughout the day because somebody will be up at midnight and then somebody else at 2, etc.

Nasty coughing, sore throat,   Annoying that none of them tested positive for COVID, flu, or strep, so then we’d have a better idea of what to do.

Watch out for the little ones, whatever is going around can then toss in an ear infection at the end for them

• Hook 'Em 1

7 yo came home Monday and said 3 kids were sent home, one had been throwing up. Tuesday night he woke us up after midnight crying because his ears hurt. Took him and his sister to dr Wednesday morning (her eye looked odd). Double ear  and sinus infection for him, pink eye and the start of an ear infection for her. By Wednesday night he had pink eye too. Then he started running a fever and throwing up Thursday. They are finally both recovering, but he sounds like he’s going to hack up a lung. 

Edited by UT_OB1
  • Hook 'Em 1

Last weekend (12th and 13th) the boy started coughing a lot, so wife took him to doctor on Monday the 14th.  Tested him for Covid, RSV and Flu....and he was positive for flu.  So, he was to stay at home until symptoms went away.

On Tuesday the 15th, I started feeling blah.  Went downhill through Friday pm, then started bouncing back.  I didn't go to the doctor, but I'm assuming it was flu like the boy.

Wife and daughter were not affected.

This is a timely thread. I got covid (again) as a nice little bday present a few weeks ago. This go around was the worst I've had, my throat felt like it was completely closed up and felt like I couldn't breathe. Finally get better just for my 15 month old to get strep all over her little body. Poor girl has painful sores everywhere, but other than bouts of whining she's been relativity calm. I hope the antibiotics get to work sooner rather than later. 

I'm sure there's more to come between having a nurse wife and a first grader that has after school at daycare. Good luck yall 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

I just got over something that had me laid up in bed, begging for death.  Fever, whole body ached (and still does).  Drank half a bottle of nyquil...didn’t touch it.  Was loopy and off balance today, now throat is sore.  Yay.  But should be back at work tomorrow.

36 minutes ago, freyguy said:

I just got over something that had me laid up in bed, begging for death.  Fever, whole body ached (and still does).  Drank half a bottle of nyquil...didn’t touch it.  Was loopy and off balance today, now throat is sore.  Yay.  But should be back at work tomorrow.

Yeah, maybe clear a covid test… oh, I see. You’re making a joke.

A few weeks ago, my wife was hospitalized for 3 days with pneumonia.  Tested negative for Covid and Flu, but she had bronchitis 3 weeks earlier that never went away.  She's back to normal now, but it took longer than it seems it should have,

I’ve done great but most of my office has been sick, and my wife had the flu back in September when everything possible ripped through the classroom she works in for LPS. I got my flu shot and booster at the beginning of October as well, but didn’t catch anything when she was sick before that.

For those with little ones, keep an eye out for RSV and don't fuck around.  It's definitely going around in a big way, and one of our friend's kids (infant) was in the hospital because of it.

RSV and Bronchiolitis go around in a big way every year from mid-October to late March; this year is no different. Keep your kids hydrated and rotate motrin and Tylenol for fever. For the younger ones under 2 that can’t/won’t blow their own noses, you need to be suctioning their noses every hour or two. Get yourself a Nosefrida or Nasakleen, and a bottle of little noses saline.
  • Hook 'Em 2

19 hours ago, Willfully Horn said:

Yeah, maybe clear a covid test… oh, I see. You’re making a joke.

No jokes, just whining.  But COVID test was negative.  There's something else getting passed around that ain't that or the flu.

Work was fun today.  Hot flashes, joint pain.  Maybe I'm a menopausal old lady?

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Have whatever stomach bug is going around.

I’m closing in on 50, so you’d think by now I’d be able to vomit gracefully, but nope.  All that alcohol-related practice in my teens and early 20s didn’t pay off.

Pro tip: every time you're about to vomit, drink some ice-cold Gatorade. Stops the acid burn on the way up.

Edited by Deej

Took all of last week off for vacation. Felt fine all week, and had a really nice Sunday enjoying the perfect weather yesterday, but of course, just in time to get back to reality, started feeling a tickle in my throat while going to sleep last night. Woke up a few hours later with crazy sinus drainage and swollen throat. Slept like dogshit. Always fun to start off a long week of work fighting off a cold. 

Covid hospitalizations in TX look up close to 50% in the last two weeks. Is this increase "real," or an artifact of hospitals not doing many discharges over the holiday week?

https://dshs.texas.gov/coronavirus/tests.aspx

It seems like an unfortunate time for DSHS to fall back to weekly updates, which they'll be doing tomorrow (Nov. 30) according to the website. 

5 minutes ago, Paper_jam said:

Covid hospitalizations in TX look up close to 50% in the last two weeks. Is this increase "real," or an artifact of hospitals not doing many discharges over the holiday week?

It seems like an unfortunate time for DSHS to fall back to weekly updates, which they'll be doing tomorrow (Nov. 30) according to the website. 

Just read that Flu hospitalizations have overtaken Covid hospitalizations in North Texas and this is the worst flu season in decades:

Flu hospitalizations now outnumber COVID-19 hospitalizations in North Texas for the first time since the beginning of the pandemic as multiple respiratory viruses continue to spread across the region.

The 2022-23 flu season is shaping up to be one of the worst in more than a decade. Cases and hospitalizations from the virus shot up unseasonably early as the U.S. entered its first flu season without COVID-19-era public health measures like masking and social distancing

28 minutes ago, Paper_jam said:

Why would discharges slow down on a holiday week?

22 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Took all of last week off for vacation. Felt fine all week, and had a really nice Sunday enjoying the perfect weather yesterday, but of course, just in time to get back to reality, started feeling a tickle in my throat while going to sleep last night. Woke up a few hours later with crazy sinus drainage and swollen throat. Slept like dogshit. Always fun to start off a long week of work fighting off a cold. 

Definitely some fast-moving brand of sinus infection. Powered through the workday yesterday with some cold meds, but felt pretty damn rough by the time I got home in the evening. Fatigue, body aches, and mild fever with chills showed up after dinner. Took a hot shower and fell asleep about 9:30, woke up an hour and a half later drenched in sweat. Fever had broken. 

Woke up early this morning and sore throat was worse but all other symptoms had abated. Hacked up some pretty gnarly discolored phlegm shortly after waking up, but congestion has now nearly fully cleared. Feel about 85% back to normal as I sit here typing. 

Edited by Storm the Field

Been battling something brutal the last two weeks. Started with sore throat and then a phlegmy throat, followed by chest congestion and then sinus congestion. That for the most part has gone away but now I have double conjunctivitis from presumably the same virus. At least no fever so there’s that. Skipped the doctor as I’m sure I’d rather spend my copay at the bar instead of hearing drink lots of fluid and get some rest.

c63863f64454f950c5751f5a178e556c.jpg

I've had a great November. Two weeks before TG I got some respiratory virus. It lasted about a week and a half. I had a good 4-5 days of perfect health and then, bam, on TH day I got something else. Similar symptoms but high fever thrown in just for fun.  Now I'm still hacking but otherwise feel fine.

Edit: Kids have all had it, too. Great times.

Edited by Mikey4

Wild weather swings aren't helping a whole lot, one would imagine. 

Expected to wake up this morning basically back to normal, but actually felt a little worse than yesterday, though better than Monday. Throat still highly irritated and spent most of the morning hacking up thick, discolored phlegm. No body aches, fever or fatigue though. Have slept like absolute crap the last 3 nights. Probably less than 10 hours total. 

Ex wife tested positive for COVID on Sunday. Not a huge deal because my kids had been with me all of Thanksgiving break, except for a few hours on Friday when they went to her house to visit her family while I was at the Texas v. Baylor game. They both tested negative on Monday. The kids stayed with me through yesterday to be safe, and every morning I made them take Vitamins C and D, elderberry, and lysine. 

My son tested positive today. I feel bad for my kids, because my son has his first middle school band concert on Tuesday, and my daughter has a guitar concert on Wednesday during which she performs her first ever solo. Really sucks if they miss those.  I had gotten their flu shots a month ago, but never had them get their COVID boosters.

I got my booster at the end of October, and here’s hoping I can dodge it.

I got my flu vaccine on November 14th.  Went to bed feeling fine this past Monday night and woke up sick AF on Tuesday morning.  It has been kicking my ass for 5 days now.  Took two at home COVID tests, both negative.   Finally went to urgent care this AM, because the congestion has gotten deep into my chest and I am exhausted.   Ran the COVID and flu tests, and the flu test hit positive.  I caught it JUST at the end of the 2-week period before you get the full antibodies from the vaccine.  Either that or CDC whiffed this year.   

Think I'm finally in the recovery stage of whatever respiratory virus I picked up last weekend.

Haven't felt "sick" since Thursday, but have continued to have a steady, harsh cough, which seems to have peaked before bed last night. Laying on couch watching TV with the wife, felt like my lungs were really irritated and any attempt at a deep breath would produce a guaranteed coughing spell. Woke up about 4:30 this morning to a violent coughing session that produced what felt like about 6 oz of discolored crap out of my lungs. Finally was able to fall back asleep what felt like ages later and felt vastly improved upon waking up that 2nd time. No congestion at all right now and urge to cough is maybe 1/10 of what it was yesterday. Planning to work out for the first time in 10 days or so this afternoon and see how it goes.

Wife got bronchitis on Friday.  Daughter has been sick since Saturday and my son got sick last night. I'm on about 6 hours of sleep the last 2 nights. 

My boy couldn't sleep last night.  The usual bedtime is 730. He was up til midnight not feeling well and couldn't get to sleep. So after trying everything I got him up and we watched Top Gun Maverick until about 3 am when he finally fell asleep.

Started feeling shitty Saturday afternoon and popped positive for Flu A on Monday. Got the tamiflu and some cough medicine but went and slammed an IV treatment as well which seems to have helped. Not feeling too bad today. 

wife is about a day and a half behind me. Hoping we’re ok by Friday as we’re headed out of town. 

must have picked it up at the office Thursday or Friday. Haven’t really been anywhere else. 

New COVID seems to have a long incubation period.  Ex tested positive on Sunday Nov. 27.  I kept the kids the whole week, and we think it's safe for them to go back to her on Friday Dec. 2.  Son felt bad and tested positive the next day.  It doesn't seem like the virus transmits that quickly, so we think he got it from his mom the day after Thanksgiving when he spent a few hours with her and her family while I was at the Texas v. Baylor game.  Move ahead to yesterday, Dec. 12, and daughter feels bad and tests positive.  That feels like long time for transmission between family members.  I guess it's possible that each of my kids caught it from someone at school.

Maybe I'm next.  But after my son tested positive he's been with his mom the whole time since I had a trial this week (which got bumped the morning we showed up for docket call), and as busy as my daughter has been we've been two ships passing in the night, so we had minimal contact last week. 

44 minutes ago, South Austin said:

New COVID seems to have a long incubation period. 

That seemed to be our experience when we caught it in September. One of my children had it, and I didn't fall ill and test positive until about five or six days later while my spouse fell ill after about two-three days after exposure. We are vaccinated, etc but had not gotten the latest booster at the time but fortunately the worst of the symptoms didn't hang around for too long. We all have RSV now, yuck.

I have something, but according to a test I just took it’s not COVID. Felt something slight in my chest yesterday, but no coughing. Woke up this morning at 4am for my workout, felt perfectly fine throughout the workout, but as I’m making my son’s breakfast I start to develop a persistent mostly dry chest cough. After dropping him off at school and cranking out some work, I felt mild fatigue and some slight chills. Tried to take a nap but the cough prevented that and I don’t have any meds.  Appetite still there. We’ll see.

• 2 weeks later...

Came down with a cough, sore throat, body aches and chills after traveling to NOLA over Thanksgiving. A week into it, I got put on some cough medicine and a steroid, which mostly helped and by 2 weeks into it, all I had was a lingering cough at night. A couple times the cough got briefly worse without any other symptoms, until yesterday. The cough came back with a vengeance, along with chills, sweats and body aches. Started a Z-pack yesterday and I really hope that does the trick. This shit sucks. I don't think I've cumulatively been sick for this long in my adult life.

• Like 1