USA World Cup Match 1: Wales

Captain Ron

No it is not since it could be like the second team on offense in overtime. We will know exactly how many goals we need since at that point we can assume Wales has to lose.
We'd be hoping for a Wales loss first and secondly a draw while trying to gain the goal diff advantage. But Wales won't lose if England are already through.

1 minute ago, gsoda3 said:
6 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:
No it is not since it could be like the second team on offense in overtime. We will know exactly how many goals we need since at that point we can assume Wales has to lose.

We'd be hoping for a Wales loss first and secondly a draw while trying to gain the goal diff advantage. But Wales won't lose if England are already through.

In that scenario, England vs Wales would be for 1st in the group (6 to 4 on points). I don't think England would settle for 2nd in that scenario.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

But Wales won't lose if England are already through.

So if Wales is sitting on 4 points and England is sitting on 6 points you think England is just going to let their little brother win the group and take the better seed for the ro16?

That's not how that works. 

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, sidis said:

i have never seen a team in such desperate need of a solid 9 in the middle.  we had a lot of decent service to the middle of the box with dominant possession and easy stuff on the outside.  not once...on a single cross or a single corner did we have anything remotely resembling a threat in there.  all of our guys in there are flimsy speed guys.  they aren't going to win any balls in there.

if it ain't a counter, we ain't scoring. 

also, i have never seen a player who loves to play a back pass as much as adams.

We didn't have very many decent services to the middle, at all.  The only ball that was really well played JS put a damn near impossible header low post that the keeper saved.   Pulisic was atrocious on free kick service today.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Trey3216 said:

We didn't have very many decent services to the middle, at all.  The only ball that was really well played JS put a damn near impossible header low post that the keeper saved.   Pulisic was atrocious on free kick service today.  

free kicks aren't the only way balls end up in the box.  there were plenty of playable balls into the middle for a quality 9.  we simply don't have that guy.

• Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Certainly people can be disappointed. We had them on the back foot for 45 and took the lead. Wales is a good team that put pressure on us and could've had a goal on a couple set pieces but our GK did his job. That being said, taking 1 point from Wales is a great start. The team is talented, but young as fuck and rarely plays together. Keep it close with England and beat Iran and the USA team has done exactly what should be expected. 

A lot of this. In the end both teams are looking at the same thing: Iran and England. And both probably have the same prospects. 

6 minutes ago, sidis said:

free kicks aren't the only way balls end up in the box.  there were plenty of playable balls into the middle for a quality 9.  we simply don't have that guy.

There were 'playable balls', but not many good ones.  Sargent played the most playable ball into a near goal due to a brilliant header.  And I'm not defending Sargent here.   

In that scenario, England vs Wales would be for 1st in the group (6 to 4 on points). I don't think England would settle for 2nd in that scenario.
So if Wales is sitting on 4 points and England is sitting on 6 points you think England is just going to let their little brother win the group and take the better seed for the ro16?
That's not how that works. 
I don't think they'll much care. It'll be between Ecuador and the Netherlands. Not exactly France.

Well in good news our midfield and WB talent looked legit today and should be prime for 2026 with a new coach. 100% an Aggie way to look at it, but it's true. 
We did look good in the first half. But somewhere out there there's a Welsh message board complaining about Rob Page's first half strategy.
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

I don't think they'll much care. It'll be between Ecuador and the Netherlands. Not exactly France.

Um, Netherlands and Ecuador are both fucking loaded with talent. Honestly might put both of them ahead of France right now given Les Bleus' injury problems.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, 406W30th said:

Um, Netherlands and Ecuador are both fucking loaded with talent. Honestly might put both of them ahead of France right now given Les Bleus' injury problems.

I wouldn't say Ecuador is "fucking loaded". And I kind of expect Senegal to make it out of that group. 

Either way - not caring whether you play Netherlands or whoever likely finishes 2nd is silly. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:
51 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

But somewhere out there there's a Welsh message board complaining about Rob Page's first half strategy.

haha, first page first post.

usa was suppose to win 5-0

the game starts on page 9... 

https://apostlewelshfootie.proboards.com/thread/10851/official-usa-wales-world-thread

image.thumb.png.9e613ed70ffe6c8d5342e00282679f2a.png

Edited by kingkoopa6

England might play some of their B team against Wales if they've already qualified, but that's guys like Trent Alexander-Arnold and Phil Foden, who will be fresh and fired up. Bale has always had fitness issues too.

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I wouldn't say Ecuador is "fucking loaded". And I kind of expect Senegal to make it out of that group. 

Either way - not caring whether you play Netherlands or whoever likely finishes 2nd is silly. 

Yeah, slight exaggeration perhaps but they have a lot of talent are really tough to beat. Physical as hell and can grind out results. 

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Is this a troll attempt? 

52 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Nah dude it’s pretty typical for teams looking for a potential WC win (fuck them, go USA/Brasil) to not give a shit about seeding.

49 minutes ago, ztejas said:

42 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

the-joker-heath-ledger.gif

You guys acting like this exact same scenario didn't occur in Russia in 2018 with the exact same personnel.  England won their first two matches in group play-  they were through.  In their final group play match Gareth Southgate elected to rest a whole bunch of players and they lost.  He said he'd do it again in order to be healthy for the knock-out round.  

Edited by gsoda3

6 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

You guys acting like this exact same scenario didn't occur in Russia in 2018 with the exact same personnel.  England won their first two matches in group play-  they were through.  In their final group play match Gareth Southgate elected to rest a whole bunch of players and they lost.  He said he'd do it again in order to be healthy for the knock-out round.  

That had everything to do with Germany already being eliminated. Which side of this bracket would you rather be on?

World Cup 2018: Why a shocking finalist is guaranteed now

15 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

You guys acting like this exact same scenario didn't occur in Russia in 2018.  England won their first two matches in group play-  they were through.  In their final group play match Gareth Southgate elected to rest a whole bunch of players and they lost.  He said he'd do it again in order to be healthy for the knock-out round.  

It isn't the same scenario. I'm not sure who the 7th tiebreaker would have gone to - it may have gone all the way to drawing lots - but they had identical GD and points so England would have needed to win to win the group* assuming they didn't have the 7th tiebreaker. 

There was also this:

Both teams fielded significantly altered line-ups before the game, with media outlets stating that a loss could potentially become beneficial, as the winner would be in the half of the draw with the 4 of the top 7 sides in the world.

That may or may not be the case this year. At the very least, you are likely getting the Netherlands instead of Senegal or Ecuador in the ro16 if you place 2nd. 

Edited by ztejas

That had everything to do with Germany already being eliminated. Which side of this bracket would you rather be on?
636662993299223936-070318-world-cup-bracket.png
It isn't the same scenario. I'm not sure who the 7th tiebreaker would have gone to - it may have gone all the way to drawing lots - but they had identical GD and points so England would have needed to win to win the group* assuming they didn't have the 7th tiebreaker. 
There was also this:
Both teams fielded significantly altered line-ups before the game, with media outlets stating that a loss could potentially become beneficial, as the winner would be in the half of the draw with the 4 of the top 7 sides in the world.
That may or may not be the case this year. At the very least, you are likely getting the Netherlands instead of Senegal or Ecuador in the ro16 if you place 2nd. 
I don't remember that far down the bracket. What I do remember is they were going to play Colombia or ...? and Southgate said they didn't care who it was as much as they wanted to be healthy. If healthy they could beat anyone. He got roasted for that decision and almost lost to Colombia anyway. Our family group texts (we're English) were like the shaggy thread after charlie strong's 59 yard offensive wonder at the texas bowl. I think he'd do it again.

2 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

I don't remember that far down the bracket. What I do remember is they were going to play Colombia or ...? and Southgate said they didn't care who it was as much as they wanted to be healthy. If healthy they could beat anyone. He got roasted for that decision and almost lost to Colombia anyway. Our family group texts (we're English) were like the shaggy thread after charlie strong's 59 yard offensive wonder at the texas bowl. I think he'd do it again.

There was a significant amount of press on both Belgium and England playing more of the bench secondary to the option of either being on the side of the bracket with Spain (loser) or the other side with Argentina, Brazil, France, etc. (winner).

• Like 1

Two points lost.

Bad foul by Zimmerman, obviously, but the goal was deserved after a dominating last 30 min from Wales. Would have like to see Musah, Dest and Mckennie subbed off earlier, especially given we needed to adjust to the higher press.

Confused on Gio, who says he’s 100% fit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, DanTheHorn said:

Pulisic has worked hard but the passing has not been crisp.

whales keyed on CP

he still made our goal

this is why i've always wanted him to run the middle for the nats as a true 10-shirt

we spent 70% of our attacking energy playing down the left in 1/3rd of the field in order to go through CP

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, DanTheHorn said:

To many subs at one time in my view. They are going to get into the flow of the game quickly.

this is a key point for introspection and armchair quarterbacking over the next 36 hours....

i have not caught up to see if there was pre-cup discussion re: 5 subs v. 3, and i need that context to then assess how the triple-sub impacted this game

6 hours ago, Juicy said:

Rocket there by bale. unstoppable. 

posts 304-341 from 37 different surlyites...... sorry folx, that was a pk

the criminal aspect of that concession by zimmerman was manbun had his back to the goal

STUPID

FUCKING

CONCESSION

+++

using an MLS backline will stop our progression beyond the round of 16

DON'T HACK A GOAT WHEN HIS BACK IS TO THE GOAL

derp

6 hours ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

we went from total control of the group and almost certainly through to zero control and probably playing for some goal differential bullshit now. Well done Zimmertard.

1 point and not in control is a parsec away from zero points and needing help

we are totally in control of our outcome

7 points advances

12 years ago we opened with 2 draws and won our group