USA World Cup Match 1: Wales

Captain Ron

7 hours ago, WBT said:

Definitely Gergg

gergg fashioned a lineup that dominated a prem side for 45', handicapped with an MLS defense, no warmup matches, and the 2nd youngest squad in this tournament

i have to watch it again to see how the 3 subs affected the run of play, but i'm definitely not ready to condemn gergg for today's result

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

We will likely need to tie England now. That way the pressure is on England to win and we steal a point. Otherwise, we are really hoping for some luck. 

we always needed to get something out of england

depending on the order matches are played on matchday 1 & 2 and the results on matchday 1, it's always necessary to win both of your first 2 matches because it is possible to fail to advance with 6 points

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hagbard Celine said:

this is a key point for introspection and armchair quarterbacking over the next 36 hours....

i have not caught up to see if there was pre-cup discussion re: 5 subs v. 3, and i need that context to then assess how the triple-sub impacted this game

Heard it during the game and confirmed it online, there are 5 subs but only 3 windows plus half time. 

so if you want to utilize all 5 subs, at least two must come on at a time twice, unless you sub at half time. 

One was already used to get Aaronson on, and I guess he wanted to save one- which he eventually used for Morris. 

1 hour ago, tokamak said:

538’s model had us 53% to advance pregame, 45% after. 

I agree with 538.

I put Wales ahead of us because England may settle for a draw in the third game after throttling us on Friday. 

OTHER:

1) US & Wales must be playing a doubleheader because they are playing Wales again on FS1.

2) Ream had settled Zimmerman throughout the game, but the frenetic ball movement following a quick restart (that Jedi & Acosta didn’t react to quickly enough*) led  Zimmerman’s foul.

UPON FURTHER REVIEW:

Zimmerman did NOT “lunge through Bale when Bale had his back to the goal.”

Zimmerman was ball side of Bale.

The ball came in and Zimmerman moved to knock the ball out.

Bale quickly moved in between Zimmerman and the ball in order to absorb contact and go down in the box.

Slow-mo sometimes looked really bad, but Zimmerman’s foul could have been committed by non-MLS center backs. The fouls happened because:

(A) Bale is a savvy veteran with over a decade of too-level experience. …and…

(B) Bale has more quick twitch muscles than Zimmerman.

It wasn’t as horrible lunge through a stationary Bale.

3) Gio Reyna absolutely should have been brought in once we were no longer controlling the match in the second half. His ball control and ability to draw fouls in dangerous areas likely would have been enough to earn a W.

• Hook 'Em 3

10 hours ago, Napoleon said:

UPON FURTHER REVIEW:

Zimmerman did NOT “lunge through Bale when Bale had his back to the goal.”

Zimmerman was ball side of Bale.

The ball came in and Zimmerman moved to knock the ball out.

Bale quickly moved in between Zimmerman and the ball in order to absorb contact and go down in the box.

Slow-mo sometimes looked really bad, but Zimmerman’s foul could have been committed by non-MLS center backs. The fouls happened because:

(A) Bale is a savvy veteran with over a decade of too-level experience. …and…

(B) Bale has more quick twitch muscles than Zimmerman.

It wasn’t as horrible lunge through a stationary Bale.

Agree with all of this, but twitter and twitter-types don't have the football savvy to realize this is exactly how it happened. It was an aggressive attempt to clear the ball in dicey moments because GERG doesn't have the football IQ to adjust to Wales' second-half three man backline and hard pressing. GERGG is dum.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Napoleon said:

3) Gio Reyna absolutely should have been brought in once we were no longer controlling the match in the second half. His ball control and ability to draw fouls in dangerous areas likely would have been enough to earn a W.

facts.

bringing him on and attacking in the box in the spots that JM had..

you never know... with his string on a ball skills and boom, he's kicked in the leg inside the box....

PK- CP buries one in stoppage.

4 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

On his point #3

O

Reading the ESPN article that has Reyna trying to say that he is in perfect shape had me thinking…

1) Reyna doth protest too much.

2) And ESPN said…

“Despite Reyna's claims of full health, Berhalter, who brought on Jordan Morris for Timothy Weah in the 88th minute, said he was taking a cautious approach.

‘It was trying to get him up to speed. I think there was a little bit of tightness that we were guarding him against in Al-Gharafa in the training exercise as a precaution.’ Berhalter said. ‘But we've been building him up and think he can play a big role in this tournament. The question is when. Hopefully Friday, he'll be another step ahead.’”

https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-states-usa/story/4809333/united-states-reyna-healthy-despite-absence-from-wales-draw

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

Reading the ESPN article that has Reyna trying to say that he is in perfect shape had me thinking…

1) Reyna doth protest too much.

2) And ESPN said…

“Despite Reyna's claims of full health, Berhalter, who brought on Jordan Morris for Timothy Weah in the 88th minute, said he was taking a cautious approach.

‘It was trying to get him up to speed. I think there was a little bit of tightness that we were guarding him against in Al-Gharafa in the training exercise as a precaution.’ Berhalter said. ‘But we've been building him up and think he can play a big role in this tournament. The question is when. Hopefully Friday, he'll be another step ahead.’”

https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-states-usa/story/4809333/united-states-reyna-healthy-despite-absence-from-wales-draw

But then to TacMgrs point - Beerholder has played Reyna injured in friendlies. So a healthy Reyna gets zero minutes in a World Cup match? So dumb.

I think this is Reyna starting to call out beerholder not quite vocally. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

At this point I’m not sure why we even play a striker since we do nothing to provide service to them. Play Reyna up top and let him and CP just interplay off each other, bring AARon on for the first guy that gets tired. We weren’t going to win in the air against Wales, and it won’t be any better against England. Might as well try to cut them up with speed. 

• Hook 'Em 2

exactly, but we'll still cross it hopelessly into the box 400 times like we did vs a 6-6 keeper and a bunch of other trees. England is almost as big in the back and yet well have another 400 passes into the box from the wings. Attack mcguire (iffin he's not concussed and sits) or suffer the consequences. 

2 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

At this point I’m not sure why we even play a striker since we do nothing to provide service to them. Play Reyna up top and let him and CP just interplay off each other, bring AARon on for the first guy that gets tired. We weren’t going to win in the air against Wales, and it won’t be any better against England. Might as well try to cut them up with speed. 

We need a hold up guy - that's how our goal started, Sargent did a good enough job of holding up the ball, allowing CP to make his run and pick it up. Reyna, CP, and Weah would have been bullied out of the way at the onset if they were in Sargent's shoes.

Though maybe we are good enough to play through the lines and not try long balls that require hold up play - I don't know, GGG hasn't tried it out yet.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

Reyna, CP, and Weah would have been bullied out of the way at the onset if they were in Sargent's shoes.

Reyna is very physical on top of the ball. He's better than Sargent at pretty much everything. But he has very little experience playing the 9.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Bottlecap said:

Agree with all of this, but twitter and twitter-types don't have the football savvy to realize this is exactly how it happened. It was an aggressive attempt to clear the ball in dicey moments because GERG doesn't have the football IQ to adjust to Wales' second-half three man backline and hard pressing. GERGG is dum.

agree on zimm take

disagree on the GERG IQ condemnation....  his mistake was failing to adjust to the sudden presence of a 6'5" tree (Moore) in the middle of the box next to bale

bridge water under on tenagra

On 11/21/2022 at 11:12 PM, Hagbard Celine said:

if matchday 2 ends in 2 draws, on matchday 3 do you want to be the US or England?

England. 4 points with a +4 GD is a lock to go through if they get a draw. 

Also Iran is pretty much equal to wales, they aren't Qatar they earned their place and are going to be a tough match for both USA and Wales. 

Edited by Juicy