Texas v. Northern Arizona in Edinburg, TX 7:30pm tipoff LHN - NAU Men's CC Blue Blood

SL Xpress

The Flagstaff based Northern Arizona Lumberjacks (I did not realize forestry was such a big deal anywhere in Arizona) face off against Texas in the Leon Black Classic.

They will play in UT Rio Grande Valley's home arena both tonight against Texas and then tomorrow night versus UTRGV because someone tricked them and they didn't read the fine print of the contract they signed. Then UTRGV plays in Gregory Gym on Saturday. 

The setting is in honor of our late coach, Leon Black, who I believe is from the area. Googling it gave me a nice bio of a famous investor and the UK winner of the Bacardi Legacy. Here's the winning recipe:

Leon’s winning recipe for ‘The Queen Street’ cocktail can be found below:

50ml Bacardi Carta Blanca
25ml Fresh Lemon Juice
20ml 1-1 Sugar syrup
20ml Martini Ambrato
2 dashes Celery Bitters
Spritz Islay Whisky

Shake all ingredients with ice, double strain and serve straight up in a Nick & Nora Glass. Spray with a spritz of Islay whisky on the side of and top of glass

Oakland Fort initiates the offense and averages 3.2 assists per game.

Carlson Towt is the leading rebounder at 10.8 rebounds per game. 

Jalen Cone and Liam Lloyd lead the Lumberjacks in scoring at 12.4 and 11.8ppg respectively.

The Lumberjacks are 2-3 on the season so far with losses to Michigan State (73-55) Arizona State (84-68) and Utah Valley ((73-69). They've beaten Benedictine Mesa and UC Santa Barbara. 

I expect this to be a thorough beat down. I'm sure the Lumberjacks expect it, too.

An interesting note. NAU has not been outscored in the second half this season. I do not expect that streak to last beyond tonight's game.

Edit - The title of the thread was inspired by the basketball recruiting thread on the recruiting board, where it was noted Men's Cross Country is another sport, along with men's basketball, that UT has not won a national championship in.

And here we are playing the current John Wooden's of NCAA Men's Cross Country, having won 6 of the last 7 national championships, and as of 2 days ago, their third consecutive, in Stillwater, OK.

I hope we take out all our non CC national championship angst/anger out on the hapless Lumberjacks, humiliate them, and send them back to the Coconino National Forest where they belong.

Edited by SL Xpress
  • Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Most people also don’t know about the mountains of Arizona and that NAU is at 7000ft and flagstaff has the Arizona snow bowl to ski and snowboard. 

They also have one of the country's oldest observatories. Built in 1894 the Lowell Observatory is a private observatory responsible for the discovery of Pluto in 1930. 

It's also an hour and 25 minute drive away from one of my favorite places on the planet, Jerome, AZ. 

• Hook 'Em 2

31 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

They also have one of the country's oldest observatories. Built in 1894 the Lowell Observatory is a private observatory responsible for the discovery of Pluto in 1930. 

It's also an hour and 25 minute drive away from one of my favorite places on the planet, Jerome, AZ. 

was that the one from armaggedon?

the "get the book, get the book" guy ?

Just now, kingkoopa6 said:

was that the one from armaggedon?

the "get the book, get the book" guy ?

neverminds.. i just googled.

im regarded