World Cup Day 3 - ARG/KSA, DEN/TUN, MEX/POL, FRA/AUS

Captain Ron

I feel like this is good for the WC goal of Mexico failing to get out of the first round. Argentina will now be motivated to beat the shit out of Mexico regardless of What else happens and 3 points going to someone other than Mexico is great. 
I’d venture o say if Poland would be good enough to beat Mexico today the Mexicans would be sitting on very very likely elimination. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, TexasHooch said:

I like this crew.  She calls a good game, and the color guy (no racist) chimes in just enough.  They seem to be having fun with each other as well.

UGH, very much not a fan of Warren Barton. I think he's a good studio guy, but hate his PBP work. Still crews works well together and Jacqui Oatley is solid.

That said, this is a very British style call - let the game play out and call the action in smaller amounts.

The offsides rule is not really accomplishing what it’s intent is. It is my understanding that the rule was put in place to prevent offensive players from hanging out by the goal. But this isn’t what is happening. 100% of the time the rule is enforced from getting a 1-3 yard run on. Why is this a problem? Without this rule the defenders would just play further back or change the defensive formation.

Sure, call it for cherry picking. But when the defenders are at midfield then too bad…

3 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

UGH, very much not a fan of Warren Barton. I think he's a good studio guy, but hate his PBP work. Still crews works well together and Jacqui Oatley is solid.

That said, this is a very British style call - let the game play out and call the action in smaller amounts.

He is not doing PBP 

24 minutes ago, Fastbreak said:

The offsides rule is not really accomplishing what it’s intent is. It is my understanding that the rule was put in place to prevent offensive players from hanging out by the goal. But this isn’t what is happening. 100% of the time the rule is enforced from getting a 1-3 yard run on. Why is this a problem? Without this rule the defenders would just play further back or change the defensive formation.

Sure, call it for cherry picking. But when the defenders are at midfield then too bad…

Username checks out.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Fastbreak said:

The offsides rule has been in place since the 1800s and the current rule since before the first World Cup.

I would say that your understanding of the intent of the rule does not exist.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Fastbreak said:

The rule has been in place a long time, it was installed to prevent cherry picking. Which it solved at the time. 

But what it has evolved into is a lot more of what we see in the modern game. Teams quickly discovered the high line as a way to dictate play. Frankly it makes soccer a heck of a lot more interesting because that defensive line is now such a tactical point of emphasis. 

6 minutes ago, ztejas said:

So... let me get this straight, unless I misheard or the broadcast was wrong, Mexico has gotten out of their group SEVEN straight times and has proceeded to lose in the ro16 SEVEN straight times.

What a miserable fucking fanbase. 

Yup cuz most of the time they have to play Argentina or Brazil in the round of 16

11 minutes ago, ztejas said:

So... let me get this straight, unless I misheard or the broadcast was wrong, Mexico has gotten out of their group SEVEN straight times and has proceeded to lose in the ro16 SEVEN straight times.

What a miserable fucking fanbase. 

Yeah. They were DQ'd from the 90s WC because of cheating and also advanced in 1986 (when they hosted) and won their R16 game.

While most of us would point to them and laugh over this, it is why I say the US should expect no less than making it out of the group every year. 

8 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

Yup cuz most of the time they have to play Argentina or Brazil in the round of 16

6 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Maybe they should play better in their group, then. 

I was going to say that Mexico hasn't been that bad in their run, but their run has been a lot more 2nd place finishes than I realized. 

And yeah, they are clearly beaten by teams that are better than them in the knockout rounds.

1994 - 1st in group, 2. Ireland, 3. Italy, 4. Norway - KO'd Bulgaria 1-1 (1-3)

1998 - 2nd, 1. Netherlands, 3. Belgium, 4. South Korea - KO'd Germany 2-1

2002 - 1st, 2. Italy, 3. Croatia, 4. Ecuador - KO'd USA Dos a Cero

2006 - 2nd, 1. Portugal, 3 Angola, 4 Iran - KO'd Argentina 2-1 (extra time)

2010 - 2nd, 1. Uruguay, 3 S. Africa, 4 France - KO'd Argentina 3-1 

2014 - 2nd, 1 Brazil, 3 Croatia, 4 Cameroon - KO'd Netherlands 2-1

2018 - 2nd, 1 Sweden, 3 S Korea, 4 Germany - KO'd Brazil 2-0