World Cup Day 5 - SWI/CAM, URU/KOR, POR/GHA, BRA/SER

Captain Ron

Just now, fluff said:

Yea, Suarez is no doubt

He’s just the latest piece of shit in a long line of them.  Back to when I used to watch all of Brazilian National games as a kid, Uruguay was inevitably who there would be the most red cards with.   Argentina is a bigger rival, and definitely the most fearsome opponent, but Uruguay is just a bunch of turds.  

Which is funny because they are a wonderful little country with great people otherwise.

Not exactly a first round of group play games to suck the casual in. 4 of the last 10 games have been 0-0 ties. Have we had a barn burner of a game yet and I just missed it?  Germany Japan was decent and interesting I guess. Missed Argentina loss as it was at 4:00 AM. All the negative talk of being hosted by Qatar and the shit show that entails. Absolutely wrong time of the year for this thing. This WC feels like it hasn’t been a ton of fun just yet. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Switzerland's goalscorer against Cameroon, Breel Embolo, was born in Cameroon.

Embolo was born on 14 February 1997 in the Cameroonian capital Yaoundé.[3] His parents separated when he was young and when he was five or six years old,[4] his mother moved to France to attend school.[5] Whilst there she met her future husband, a Swiss national, then the following year the family moved to Basel.[6]

He received Swiss citizenship on 12 December 2014.[

That has to be a weird feeling.

51 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Not exactly a first round of group play games to suck the casual in. 4 of the last 10 games have been 0-0 ties. Have we had a barn burner of a game yet and I just missed it?  Germany Japan was decent and interesting I guess. Missed Argentina loss as it was at 4:00 AM. All the negative talk of being hosted by Qatar and the shit show that entails. Absolutely wrong time of the year for this thing. This WC feels like it hasn’t been a ton of fun just yet. 

England and Spain skullfucking Iran and Costa Rica, respectively, was a lot of fun to watch. Same with France’s dominant performance. It has been a great tournament so far. Casuals like you make me laugh.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Mexico Poland and Canada Belgium were both good games and there was a goal between them. Who gives a shit what the casual fans like watching. 

It’s always been interesting to me to follow soccers popularity in the general zeitgeist of the United States. I grew up playing it on a shitty select team (back when there was only like 1 per city and you had to try out for it but it didn’t cost an arm and a leg financially) in Northern California and later coached it (girls) in high school so I’m not opposed/ignorant of it at all, but it’s probably my 5th favorite sport (behind big 3 and golf).  

People were predicting in the 70’s and 80’s it was going to take over the country eventually, and people were also shitting all over it and saying it wouldn’t ever be a thing.  Both those takes seem… wrong?  I get the feeling that its grown a lot in popularity and maybe has surpassed hockey in total interest here but nowhere near total interest of big 3 sports. I don’t know if, or when, it will ever actually challenge those sports for popularity but 100 years ago It was baseball, boxing and horse racing so shit obviously changes. I’d like to see the US be world class sometime before I die, and I suspect it would have to grow in popularity more to make that happen, but maybe not. 

17 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

England and Spain skullfucking Iran and Costa Rica, respectively, was a lot of fun to watch. Same with France’s dominant performance. It has been a great tournament so far. Casuals like you make me laugh.

You just pointed out 7-0, 6-2 and 4-1 as the 3 most compelling games to you of the opening round so far. Most probably don’t find that super compelling at the highest level of international play but sure, laugh away. I’m looking forward to the 2 games to finish the 1st round here. Could be fun/good. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

48 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

The only game that was a beating was Spain-Costa Rica. After Spain got that 7th goal in added time I was like, "okay end the match now, put CRC out of their misery."

You clearly haven’t had an entire qualification cycle to learn to hate the rest of these squads. Watching CRC getting skullfucked to kingdom come was pretty fun.  

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

It’s always been interesting to me to follow soccers popularity in the general zeitgeist of the United States. I grew up playing it on a shitty select team (back when there was only like 1 per city and you had to try out for it but it didn’t cost an arm and a leg financially) in Northern California and later coached it (girls) in high school so I’m not opposed/ignorant of it at all, but it’s probably my 5th favorite sport (behind big 3 and golf).  

People were predicting in the 70’s and 80’s it was going to take over the country eventually, and people were also shitting all over it and saying it wouldn’t ever be a thing.  Both those takes seem… wrong?  I get the feeling that its grown a lot in popularity and maybe has surpassed hockey in total interest here but nowhere near total interest of big 3 sports. I don’t know if, or when, it will ever actually challenge those sports for popularity but 100 years ago It was baseball, boxing and horse racing so shit obviously changes. I’d like to see the US be world class sometime before I die, and I suspect it would have to grow in popularity more to make that happen, but maybe not. 

The World Cup has been averaging a 6 in the ratings which is about equal to the ratings for the NBA Finals. Soccer has arrived in this country 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

The MLS is improving at a solid clip and there are two academies (Philly and Dallas) that aren't elite but are very relevant internationally. There are a few more that have had some really good players go through their system or have a lot of good prospects. 

The national team has its own issues that it needs to sort out that are rather independent of the popularity of the sport. Really until that happens we will have a hard ceiling below the true powers. We aren't very far away at all from not being at a talent disadvantage against most European and SA sides. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Macklemore said:

The World Cup has been averaging a 6 in the ratings which is about equal to the ratings for the NBA Finals. Soccer has arrived in this country 

NBA Finals ratings have been awful the past few years. The Finals was doing 10-12 consistently when it was LeBron against Dirk/KD/Spurs/Ws. Granted that's not necessarily independent of folks caring more about other sports. 

The USA is finally building out the structure to compete. MLS isn’t challenging the nfl in national popularity or the EPL in talent, but that’s not what it’s for yet. It’s to have kids see a path to a career in soccer, to have local sports heroes to follow and emulate.  More and more American athletes will see soccer as just as viable a path as baseball, football, or basketball and some of those athletes will stick with soccer as their focus.  And the talent level will rise and rise, at the usmnt and mls rosters. 

we are at the point now where much of the national team plays in Europe, but they aren’t starters or stars. Need to develop a couple of those types, and have a bale or lewendowski, the types of players at all levels that the RMs and Manchester clubs covet. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

You just pointed out 7-0, 6-2 and 4-1 as the 3 most compelling games to you of the opening round so far. Most probably don’t find that super compelling at the highest level of international play but sure, laugh away. I’m looking forward to the 2 games to finish the 1st round here. Could be fun/good. 

If you enjoy watching soccer played at its highest level with the best players and technical skill then those blowouts were a pleasure to watch. Spain’s midfield play was some of the best I have ever watched and England’s 2 deep would be a top 10 team in its own right. If you know what to watch for, a soccer blowout is far more enjoyable to watch IMO than a blowout in other sports.

• Hook 'Em 1