World Cup Day 5 - SWI/CAM, URU/KOR, POR/GHA, BRA/SER

Captain Ron

1 minute ago, Fastbreak said:

I have watched almost every game and I’ve felt the female announcers have been consistently better than their male counterparts.

I haven't had a problem with any of the announcing. Probably because Twellman isn't involved. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Fastbreak said:

I have watched almost every game and I’ve felt the female announcers have been consistently better than their male counterparts.

US announcers don't translate well to soccer regardless of sex

british analysis of a match: 10 words or less, and only when necessary and insightful

us analysis every 3 minutes: 10 words of superfluous crap not relevant to the match because they can't leave empty air; banal editorial the announcers believe is insightful and adds value

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

US announcers don't translate well to soccer regardless of sex

british analysis of a match: 10 words or less, and only when necessary and insightful

us analysis every 3 minutes: 10 words of superfluous crap not relevant to the match because they can't leave empty air; banal editorial the announcers believe is insightful and adds value

Just always blown away by how much better the Brits are at announcing than we are. Sublime use of language, clever turn of phrase, let the game breathe, excitement when warranted to match the moment. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, flatdawgs said:

Can't stand Neymar and I normally pull for the underdogs in any case, but while learning Portuguese I found out what an amazing country Brasil is... plus Serbia is full of gotdam vatniks. Normally I'll pull for the upset but not today.

Vamos Brazil! Jebi Srpska.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, flatdawgs said:

Can't stand Neymar and I normally pull for the underdogs in any case, but while learning Portuguese I found out what an amazing country Brasil is... plus Serbia is full of gotdam vatniks. Normally I'll pull for the upset but not today.

What the hell is a vatnik?

3 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Por que vc está aprendendo português?

Por causa adoro a música e a cultura do Brasil (e por extensão Portugal, Cabo Verde, etc.) Considerando a relocalização para Portugal um dia. Além disso, o que mais havia a fazer durante a pandemia?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, flatdawgs said:

Por causa adoro a música e a cultura do Brasil (e por extensão Portugal, Cabo Verde, etc.) Considerando a relocalização para Portugal um dia. Além disso, o que mais havia a fazer durante a pandemia?

Ok. I am an idiot in Spanish and know zero portungese but I think I can read this!

”because I kind the music and culture of Brazil and by extension Portugal and Cabo Verde). I’m considering moving to Portugal one day. Right now I have a couple things during the pandemic. Third sentence is a mess. How’d I do on the other two?  I knew they were close but didn’t know there was that much overlap. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I find the same thing trying to understand Spanish... I'm better than I was but still there are enough differences to really mess me up.

I'm by no means fluent or even close, so I'll defer to the Brasileiros here, but what I was attempting to say was "besides that, what else was there to do during the pandemic?"

Edited by flatdawgs
  • Like 1