Favorite 30 for 30?

Butch Had Not

13 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

The Two Escobars is the exception to all of that.  You'd watch that documentary even if you weren't a sports fan (and, like most people in America, I don't follow soccer so it's not like I was just fanboying the subject matter like I do when I watch The U or the various ones that came out recently about the Dream Team and Michael Jordan).  It's actually an interesting and captivating story you can make a movie about.

21E31D77-8319-42DC-BBF9-E36147FEEE8B.gif

no really though it sounds like I should check it out.  haven’t seen it. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

As a teen who followed college basketball closely in the 80's, this one hit close to home:

http://www.espn.com/30for30/film/_/page/requiemforthebigeast

"Requiem For The Big East" explores the meteoric ascension of the Big East Conference and how, in less than a decade under the innovative leadership of founder and commissioner Dave Gavitt, it became the most successful college sports league in America.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Yeah that’s another good one, the early days of the BE was fun to watch. 

6 hours ago, Rimbo said:

What made that one terrible was what made it great. I remember thinking Chris Evert was attractive... until I saw that show.

Team Martina.

How good/fun would a prime Serena/Martina match be? 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/2/2022 at 8:22 AM, Knoxtnhorn said:

Unless I missed it above, I don't believe anyone mentioned the Jimmy V one.  It was before my time, so I really only knew about the final.  I had no idea they barely made it into the tourney and had so many close calls.

I really liked that one, but Pony Excess hit harder and closer to home.

On 11/25/2022 at 5:54 PM, Helobious said:

Four Days in October was shitty vanilla MLB Productions bullshit. It sucked. 

Bullshit. If you survived Grady Little’s meltdown in 03’ and went through it live, the 04 series was otherworldly. It’s easy to blah, blah the Red Sox now, but 04 ALCS was something special. And that 30/30 nailed it perfectly.

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Drool 1

On 11/25/2022 at 3:37 PM, Deej said:

I like the Ricky Williams one. Really put him in perspective. 

I'm a huge fan of Ricky the person.  Really good interview some ISU guys did with him prior to the ISU/UT game this year.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/iowa-everywhere/id1640331646?i=1000582339010

Pony Excess was awesome.  Just a great snapshot into a world I'm a little too young to have experienced.

The first season was like shampoo.  The point was for each year to show how the sports story fit into the rest of the world. 

For me it is The U.  I knew about the football team of course. But I did not about how it related to Miami Vice, the riots, 2 live crew, and Thaddeus Foote.  I hated the Canes, and still hope the U loses every game for the next 100 years, but I walked out respecting them. 

• 4 months later...
On 4/21/2023 at 2:24 PM, Rip76 said:

I just watched, “I Hate Christian Laettner.”

Man, that was good.

I was a high school junior and senior living in North Carolina during Duke’s first two titles, and I was a huge Christian Laettner fan. Loved that documentary. 

And for the same historical contextual reason, I loved the Fab Five.

Those were some great years to be a college hoops fan.

Edited by South Austin
  • Hook 'Em 4

Yeah when this topic comes up I always have to caveat my favorite “serious” 30 for 30 vs. my favorite “fun” 30 for 30.  I mean, it’s kind of hard to directly compared “The Two Escobars” or “Hillsborough” to “The U” LOL.

My favorite “fun” ones are probably Winning Time: Reggie Miller vs. the NY Knicks and Bo Knows.

My favorite “serious” ones are “Once Brothers” (the heritage on my Mom’s side of the family is Croatian) and “The Two Escobars.”

The one where Vlade Divac is followed by a film crew going to Croatia to see Petrovic's parents for the first time since the Yugoslavian war of the 90s was pretty damn good. It's the one that stands out in my mind after all these years.  

particularly the scene he's walking down the street and the Croatian guy on the street does a double take and says to the camera "is that fucking Divac?" in Yugoslavian with a WTF look on his face says it all. 

Edited by Hermanator
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2