USA World Cup Match 2: England

Captain Ron

35 minutes ago, Bottlecap said:

the hype Fox is doing for this game is making me uncomfortable. its making the usmnt seem like farmer league schmucks. i get why they're doing it but still.

Farmer league? How dare they. The MLS isn't that good. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Bottlecap said:

the hype Fox is doing for this game is making me uncomfortable. its making the usmnt seem like farmer league schmucks. i get why they're doing it but still.

Raising awareness while lowering expectations. 

3 hours ago, WBT said:

-2 GD is probably a win

I’ve been getting a 4-0 loss vibe for much of the last 24 hours. I would be fairly relieved with a 2-0 loss, but of course want a better result than that.

(Can we call a 1-0 loss “a result”?)

6 hours ago, ztejas said:

Farmer league? How dare they. The MLS isn't that good. 

I realize the dude who made the bonehead tackle that led to their equalizer was our sole MLS player, but here's our starting XI by league:

Premier League: 5

Serie A: 2

Championship: 1

La Liga: 1

Ligue 1: 1

MLS: 1

Bigger than our on-field talent is that our manager had a 38% win percentage in the aforementioned farmers league. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

I’ve been getting a 4-0 loss vibe for much of the last 24 hours. I would be fairly relieved with a 2-0 loss, but of course want a better result than that.

4-0 would be a horrible step in the wrong direction and one of our worst WC results ever (maybe the worst?). I don't see us getting dusted like that. 

We can keep this competitive. As @406W30th pointed out above - perhaps not understanding who he was replying to - at least 4 of our starters (5 if AAron starts) are PL guys. I mean Pulisic plays on the same damn team as half of England's starting attack (and is pretty much just as good as both of them right now). Our 6 - who's maybe the best player on our team - has seen and played against almost their entire lineup by this point.

We're gonna come out and we're gonna fucking compete. We may get our asses handed to us but they're going to need to earn it. Let a couple balls bounce the right way and we can get a point out of this one. 

main-image.thumb.jpeg.a7d38af3479756824e8d7efa18c3eee5.jpeg

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 4

24 minutes ago, ztejas said:

4-0 would be a horrible step in the wrong direction and one of our worst WC results ever (maybe the worst?). I don't see us getting dusted like that. 

We can keep this competitive. As @406W30th pointed out above - perhaps not understanding who he was replying to - at least 4 of our starters (5 if AAron starts) are PL guys. I mean Pulisic plays on the same damn team as half of England's starting attack (and is pretty much just as good as both of them right now). Our 6 - who's maybe the best player on our team - has seen and played against almost their entire lineup by this point.

We're gonna come out and we're gonna fucking compete. We may get our asses handed to us but they're going to need to earn it. Let a couple balls bounce the right way and we can get a point out of this one. 

main-image.thumb.jpeg.a7d38af3479756824e8d7efa18c3eee5.jpeg

Argentina 1930 - 6-1

Italy 1934 - 7-1

Czechoslovakia 1990 - 5-1

2 hours ago, Napoleon said:

I've kind of had a 4-1 feeling since Monday

• Hook 'Em 2

Yeah, sadly same here. Brit partner wants to put a bottle on the line. Tempted just because fuck England. But damn, 4-1 or 3-0 is how I feel. 

Hope I am wrong. Fuck those crooked teeth, tea drinking, shitty curry eating, left side driving assholes. Yeah, been drinking. Irish whiskey for the win. 

• Hook 'Em 1

no predictions, but this could go either way and all of the pressure are on england

we had no warmup program and came out and dominated a prem side for a half

we all hate gerrg but for a moment, parcells......

he has turned the el tri series on it's head and in TWO full international finals he fashioned a selection, a side, and a gameplan that beat mexico.

he has found a way to get a WINNING result in the biggest of games

in addition, the mundial is a young mans game

the average age of all sides all time is 28ish

sides that catch fire and make a run are usually dominated by a couple of up-and-comers who burst on to the stage in that mundial, a couple of mid-career superstars, a couple of 30-ish veterans, all supported by a side that leans younger, like 23/24/25.   ream and zimmerman are both 30ish vets, but they are of very average quality at this level, and we don't have the mid-career superstars that can carry a game and provide the leadership necessary to survive under duress

so no deep run looks to be in the cards, but the rest of the ingredients are there to do very well in group

we don't have enough data to know if the transitive property will hold after match day 2, so either england were really good or iran were really bad, but i don't think it matters

i think we are going to show well and get something from this game

• Hook 'Em 1

Punch these fucks in mouth early. Get on they ass and never let go. 

Die on that field for 3 points. 

Jedi can handle his side. Ream is lock down. Dest and yedlin make sterling and Shaw play defense all game 

Adams win every 50/50 ball. Musah put his body on anyone coming down the middle 

cp weah Aaronson gio sarge/Jesus use your speed and go at them ALL FUCKIN DAY !

• Hook 'Em 3

58 minutes ago, ztejas said:

No one is making you miss this game but yourself. And no one gives a shit since you've already openly admitted for rooting for El Tri. 

Ana de Armas could ask me to go to the Baylor game with her and I'd tell her to go fuck herself because I have more important shit to attend to. 

Some of you seem to think that this is the bitchassness thread of being a pussy. 

Incorrect. 

This is the thread of waiting eight fucking years for this and wanting nothing more than to prove ourselves on an international stage.

Y'all better ditch that loyalist-ass energy and get ready to show up and shock the motherfucking world tomorrow. 

Last time I checked this was America. I don't give a fuck who the manager is. I don't give a fuck who is playing CB for us. We're showing up and showing out and playing our fucking asses off. All of you fucking doomers better be ready to eat some GM-manufactured crow tomorrow after we hand one to these limey cocksuckers. 

USA 2 - 1 England 

Your jib, I like it’s cut. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

No one is making you miss this game but yourself. And no one gives a shit since you've already openly admitted for rooting for El Tri. 

Ana de Armas could ask me to go to the Baylor game with her and I'd tell her to go fuck herself because I have more important shit to attend to. 

Some of you seem to think that this is the bitchassness thread of being a pussy. 

Incorrect. 

This is the thread of waiting eight fucking years for this and wanting nothing more than to prove ourselves on an international stage.

Y'all better ditch that loyalist-ass energy and get ready to show up and shock the motherfucking world tomorrow. 

Last time I checked this was America. I don't give a fuck who the manager is. I don't give a fuck who is playing CB for us. We're showing up and showing out and playing our fucking asses off. All of you fucking doomers better be ready to eat some GM-manufactured crow tomorrow after we hand one to these limey cocksuckers. 

USA 2 - 1 England 

This is the energy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, ztejas said:

Incorrect. 

USA 2 - 1 England 

Very true I choose the Longhorns over El Tri and USMNT especially with DVR..

Yet I reserve the right to root for my 1A and 1B soccer teams. I was very fortunate to be introduced to the passion of this sport in 1976 by El Tri since up till then I only knew was Dallas Cowboys football. Yet, outside of when they play El Tri I have rooted hard for the USMNT since 1990. Tried to do some trash talking in 2002 and received lots of shit on hornsfans. I hung out with a friend and some of the folks from Sams Army for some friendlies and thought it is about fucking time this team had real fans.

Therefore, I will never be apologetic about the USMNT being my 1B team. It is good this team has fans like you. Some of these kids would be national icons if they had more followers.

With that said beat the hell out of the reds today and lets move on to the next round by getting revenge with a long ago loss to Iran.

13 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

With the Iran result do we now rest Zimmerman and/or Dest to avoid that second yellow?

I wouldn’t. A weak back line against England will almost guarantee us getting whipped and that would be disaster.

Fortune favors the bold - go for it today and get a result.

Besides putting England in a spot of bother beating or tying them and you make they work in game 3.

19 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

With the Iran result do we now rest Zimmerman and/or Dest to avoid that second yellow?

I’d sit Dest regardless. Have Yedlin defend for 60 and then bring in Dest for 30 minutes of lung busting. Not sure we can hide his defensive weakness regardless, England is pretty deep.

So, we can pretty much lose by eleventy billion to England today and it’s still in app high probability beat Iran and we are in (provided England doesn’t roll over and let Wales win which would shock me). 
Even with a win we still need a result v Iran

it was really set up for us to coast our way through the group stage until minute number 98 at 5:57 central or whatever ungodly early time it was (was up and watching). 
I’m torn between rooting for us to pull off a smash and grab and rooting for us to forcibly sodomize them against their will. 
In honor of the horns playing Baylor today I guess I will root for the latter today. 
3-0 Yanks. 
Fuck off Engarland. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

10 hours ago, DanTheHorn said:

Baylor game is making miss this game.

Yeah I'm a Baylor grad and this might be the last time we play UT in my life depending on how the schedule shakes out next year.

...and I'm still gonna watch ggg roll out Morris down 4-0 in the 80th instead. 

7 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

I'm taking Ana de Armas to the Baylor game. 

"So....do you come to sporting events often"