USA World Cup Match 2: England

Captain Ron

8 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

It was a huge game up until the point Iran scored in the 98th minute. Then, getting a result here became tons less important. It moved the first half of this game behind 2nd half of the football game in importance in all likelihood. 

so we blow our load and win today, and lose v iran. we out. 

so your saying start horvath, long, CCV, scally, shaq, acosta, luca, roldan, morris, haji, aa ron

8 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

It was a huge game up until the point Iran scored in the 98th minute. Then, getting a result here became tons less important. It moved the first half of this game behind 2nd half of the football game in importance in all likelihood. 

If we win we just need to tie Iran and we're through.

If we draw then we just need to beat Iran by 1. 

If we lose by 4 goals then we need to beat Iran by 2. 

Today still matters a lot. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, kingkoopa6 said:

so we blow our load and win today, and lose v iran. we out. 

so your saying start horvath, long, CCV, scally, shaq, acosta, luca, roldan, morris, haji, aa ron

Not really. Still better to win than lose. I’d start out chasing the game. If we get a goal cool. If we get down two then bring on the subs for anyone sitting on a yellow. 

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

If we win we just need to tie Iran and we're through.

If we draw then we just need to beat Iran by 1. 

If we lose by 4 goals then we need to beat Iran by 2. 

Today still matters a lot. 

Why would goal differential matter vs Iran?   It doesn’t as it relates to Iran. It only matters if Wales beats England which I already mentioned. I don’t see that as particularly likely. 

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

You're right - it doesn't. Good catch. 

UNLESS Wales does something crazy like beat England. 

It still matters a lot if we win today. 

Right. Which is why I said in all likelihood the game doesn’t matter. It’s also why I said we should absolutely chase this game from the outset because it’s a free roll at a win. And if that goes wrong early concede. 

Just now, Captain Ron said:

This is stupid. Of course the game matters. The result gives the US more runway against Iran, plus leaves us a chance to still win the group if we win.

We have no more runway v Iran if we tie. None. Chase the game. It’s all upside with a win (least likely occurance). Tie doesn’t really help us outside of a bizarre scenario where Wales wins Tuesday. loss doesn’t hurt. 

• Hook 'Em 1