USA World Cup Match 2: England

Captain Ron

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Who plays first?  England Wales or us?  Makes a big difference.  If Iran knows they only need a tie it’s gonna be harder.  

Not a die hard here but definitely plugged in during the WC.  

And every 4 years, I’m amazed people can call this game boring.   Even a 0-0 tie is pretty damn exciting especially with what’s on the line.  To each his own, I guess.  

Matches start at the same time

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Who plays first?  England Wales or us?  Makes a big difference.  If Iran knows they only need a tie it’s gonna be harder.  

And every 4 years, I’m amazed people can call this game boring.   Even a 0-0 tie is pretty damn exciting especially with what’s on the line.  To each his own, I guess.  

we both play at the same time, which is the only fair way to do it

50 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

You're right that it would make a difference, and for this reason they play simultaneously.  The EPL (and I assume other leagues) start all games on the final matchday simultaneously for the same reason.

• Hook 'Em 2

pretty pretty good day for us.  did not think iran would be able to keep a clean sheet against wales much less beat them.  and our performance against england-  it was so good seeing our mfers outclassing england and putting consistent pressure on the defense.  we are so close to being really good even with gregg at the helm.  what is going on with reyna though.  you can't leave your most talented player on the bench for 173 of the first 180 minutes of the world cup, i don't care how niggling of an injury it might be.  it's a gross misuse of talent esp if you're saying you're looking for more goals.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

We all play at the same time. First time?

We deserved better after we got through the first 10 mins, but fuck it.

Has there ever been a bigger bunch of bitch asses than the fucking Brits?  They have generational talent and the second they get punched in the mouth they duck and cover.  They brought in fucking has been Hendo instead of Foden because the vest was shitting his pants.  The Germans should feel worse about losing to these slap dicks in the last Euro than on Wednesday.  The Japanese at least weren’t scared ass bitches. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Macklemore said:

Not having a minimum of 2 TVs in one room if you’re a big sports fan is pretty unacceptable these days unless you’re a poor.

What made you think I would be at home and not at DKR? Got to experience both since we sat in empty seats in front of the band for the Bijan chants and then got to gate 25 to some TVs that were showing the game for the last 18 minutes of the game.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Definitely was not boring. I was surprised how many chances we had considering our underdog status, frustrated we couldn’t just get one in. Englands players looked pissed most of the second half, and that was pretty satisfying.

Just now, 0xdeadbeef said:

Can someone fill in some backstory on this. Based on the clear rain ponchos that they all have that look like they must have been handed out, they knew the beer throwing was coming.   Is that a tradition for poor results?

Backstory is English fans are dicks.

5 hours ago, Blotto said:

Heading into the world cup, there weren't too many likely scenarios where we could advance to the next stage without beating Iran, and I figured they would be our most likely W. Two games in, not much has changed. We havent set the world on fire, but we also havent shit the bed. Beat their ass and we move on. Dont even have to worry about GD

Good point. If you told me before the tournament started that we’d be through with a win against Iran, I’d take that. 

Player ratings

Turner 7.  Made the big save on Mount and distribution was generally fine.  Makes me nervous on set pieces.

Robinson 8.  The left side of our defense has been immense.  I wonder if a bigger team will buy him.

Ream 8.  Fantastic again.  We knew he could distribute but his defending has been class. 

Zimmerman 6.  Distribution was poor but defended well.  This a level above him but he is battling.

Dest 7.  Thankful he didn’t pick up another yellow. Still not at his best but made some dangerous runs and we missed him when he went off.

Adams 9.  The heart of the team.  His run back to make a tackle in the box when Robinson was caught upfield epitomized his performance. Inspired 

McKennie 8. Much better than against Wales.  Won the ball, progressed the ball, beat his man.  Showed why he starts.

Musah 8. Can’t believe how young he is.  Outplayed Bellingham. Another guy who is on his way to a bigger club.  So important to wresting control in the first half.

Pulisic 8.  Involved in most of our positive attacking moves.  Unlucky to hit the bar on a great effort.  Took the game to England.  Good delivery on corners

Weah 6.  Just ok for me today.  Not bad but I want to see what Gio could do here.

Wright 5.  Not sure what he provides.  I’d like to put Weah at the 9 against Iran.

Aaronson 6.  Ok but I expected more from him than just energy.  In a tough role.

Moore 4.  Constantly fouled and wasted opportunities. Not good enough for this level. Play Scally.

Sargent 5.  Did nothing.  We need a 9.

Gio 5.  Not enough time to make an impact.

Berhalter 7.  Got his initial tactics right and won the coaching battle against clown Southgate.  Moore sub was poor and the Gio sub was 20 minutes late.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

Can someone fill in some backstory on this. Based on the clear rain ponchos that they all have that look like they must have been handed out, they knew the beer throwing was coming.   Is that a tradition for poor results?

Guessing the ponchos and stuff were in expectation of goal celebrations, but since that never came some blokes decided to start chucking drinks anyway.

I cannot believe how our midfield + Robinson made Bellingham and Saka completely anonymous. Incredibly impressive performance from our guys. Weston's chance in the first half was a huge miss, but we all would have taken a point before a ball was kicked.

This game was a lot like Canada v Belgium, with a plucky CONCACAF underdog dominating a European powerhouse, except England couldn't complete the smash & grab like Belgium did. Thank god Harry Kane blew that free header at the end. Would've been utterly demoralizing to walk away from that match with nothing.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, alincoln said:

Musah 8. Can’t believe how young he is.  Outplayed Bellingham. Another guy who is on his way to a bigger club.  So important to wresting control in the first half.

Valencia at 19 is hardly a small club but I think you're right

I just want our guys to actually play in the biggest leagues. Don’t care what team. It’s fun when we have dudes sign for Barcelona or whatever but then they always end up just riding the pine. 

Regarding alincolns grades, it’s insane how night and day McKinnie’s performance was versus his game against Wales. Maybe just nerves in the first game? Nothing makes me more ragey than soccer players skying the ball 10 yards over the bar, though. Put it on the fucking frame and make the keeper do something. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, alincoln said:

Player ratings

Turner 7.  Made the big save on Mount and distribution was generally fine.  Makes me nervous on set pieces.

Robinson 8.  The left side of our defense has been immense.  I wonder if a bigger team will buy him.

Ream 8.  Fantastic again.  We knew he could distribute but his defending has been class. 

Zimmerman 6.  Distribution was poor but defended well.  This a level above him but he is battling.

Dest 7.  Thankful he didn’t pick up another yellow. Still not at his best but made some dangerous runs and we missed him when he went off.

Adams 9.  The heart of the team.  His run back to make a tackle in the box when Robinson was caught upfield epitomized his performance. Inspired 

McKennie 8. Much better than against Wales.  Won the ball, progressed the ball, beat his man.  Showed why he starts.

Pulisic 8.  Involved in most of our positive attacking moves.  Unlucky to hit the bar on a great effort.  Took the game to England.  Good delivery on corners

Weah 6.  Just ok for me today.  Not bad but I want to see what Gio could do here.

Wright 5.  Not sure what he provides.  I’d like to put Weah at the 9 against Iran.

Aaronson 6.  Ok but I expected more from him than just energy.  In a tough role.

Moore 4.  Constantly fouled and wasted opportunities. Not good enough for this level. Play Scally.

Sargent 5.  Did nothing.  We need a 9.

Gio 5.  Not enough time to make an impact.

Berhalter 7.  Got his initial tactics right and won the coaching battle against clown Southgate.  Moore sub was poor and the Gio sub was 20 minutes late.  

Antonee was good on D but pretty poor in attack. Not an 8 for me. 

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Antonee was good on D but pretty poor in attack. Not an 8 for me. 

Pocketed Saka and Rashford --- include Trippier with zero crosses in the box.

Jedi was ballin bro- if we won, he gets a 10. 

Tough to attack, when you know you got CP in front of you -just get the ball to CP and get out of the way.

I like the 8 grade.

Edited by kingkoopa6
sp
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

Its a bar in England where people go for matches, called the Boxpark.    They are know for throwing beers when England scores.   So had some pent up frustration at the 0-0 result, especially when they all thought they'd put up 4 on us.

Here it is during the last EUROs.

• Hook 'Em 1