USA World Cup Match 2: England

Captain Ron

2 minutes ago, SpiralOut said:

Who is the worse coach?  GGG or Jimbo Fisher? 

Past US squads just didn't have the talent or athleticism to do well in the WC.  This squad does.  It's a shame it'll be wasted.

I bitch about Gregg a lot but our back 4 two-deep is horrendous and we don't have a 9 worth a shit. 

We should have 4 points but Pep Guardiola would need a miracle to get these guys past the quarterfinals. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The striker issue is just a symptom of the larger problem with GGG. We have #9s that  are scoring at the international level. It’s not a complete lack of ability at that position, we just don’t have the tactics to get them quality chances. We don’t have the tactics to consistently generate chances for anyone. Again. It’s not for lack of ability. We have wings and midfielders that generate quality chances at the international level. The difference is coaching. You can take GGG out of the MLS, but you can’t take the MLS out of GGG.  We are artificially limited as long as that bald bitch is haunting our bench. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, goatsaag said:

Way too many people who thought we had zero chance of getting a point against England are now pissed when we did get a point and look essentially their equal.

I was not one of those people. I just want an aggressive, well-coached, team. We are young. Let’s use that to our advantage. I’m only upset that we left some points out there that were there to be gotten.

I’m no fan of England (free the six counties), hell, I rooted for Italy against them in the Euros because, Fuck England. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

The striker issue is just a symptom of the larger problem with GGG. We have #9s that  are scoring at the international level. It’s not a complete lack of ability at that position, we just don’t have the tactics to get them quality chances. We don’t have the tactics to consistently generate chances for anyone. Again. It’s not for lack of ability. We have wings and midfielders that generate quality chances at the international level. The difference is coaching. You can take GGG out of the MLS, but you can’t take the MLS out of GGG.  We are artificially limited as long as that bald bitch is haunting our bench. 

But his glorious 4-3-3!!!

11 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

I agree that Gregg doesn't maximize the talent that we have but our lack of a 9 would be an issue for any manager. It's easier to create chances for better strikers. That street goes both ways. 

I am pretty pleased so far. We have shown we belong. Past wc teams we were just begging for the other team to screw up or get by on some miracle but this team is good. If you were to tell me our wc group consisted of the 5 16 19 20 best teams in the world and all we had to do to get to the knockout round was beat Iran I'd happily take it. We can hang with the Netherlands. Small chance we even win the group and face a team like Ecuador. I'm in. Let's beat us an axis of evil team next week. Quarterfinals are within reach. 

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I agree that Gregg doesn't maximize the talent that we have but our lack of a 9 would be an issue for any manager. It's easier to create chances for better strikers. That street goes both ways. 

I don't know, I think we have a few serviceable guys that if we did different things to get them the ball, one or more of them would thrive.

I don't disagree that with the game we are playing, none of them are likely to have success. These aren't guys you can just blindly cross balls into the middle and expect success. If he used Gio in the MF to attack, it's likely he could create chances for someone to succeed. If nothing else, make the wings much more effective (plus we could have Weah and Gio on the field at the same time).

• Hook 'Em 2

I used to hate those damned clunky fuckin’ shin guards. Hated them. 

Oh man lol

They sucked! And super sucked for a shorter than average person.

When my kids played I felt like an old woman yelling at clouds when I saw the nice ones available today.

And back in the day, the selection for women’s cleats? Shit, shitty, or shittier.
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, ztejas said:

We could add Lewandowski to this team and we probably see the same results game to game. We don’t provide quality service into the box, so the target is immaterial. Regardless, I doubt GGG could gameplan around a quality striker even if asked to. We have no offensive identity. A good coach would generate more scoring out of this roster. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Lol wut

You can keep pretending that you have to have Kane, Lewy, Lukaku, etc up top to win games, but I’ll keep watching teams like Japan with their 5’8” strikers that barely score on their club teams keep generating scoring chances in the WC. Sargent scores in the prem. I don’t think he’s sniffed a ball in the 18. Tactics and coaching are the bigger issue here. 

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

The only thing that sucks is a tie in all likelihood gets Iran through. We have to chase the game now. 

In all likelihood?  We’d have 3 points, Iran would have 4, and England already has 4. 

and in a curiosity of point standings, if we drew with Iran and wales beat England, we’d be at the bottom of the table as the only undefeated side. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

4 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

In all likelihood?  We’d have 3 points, Iran would have 4, and England already has 4. 

and in a curiosity of point standings, if we drew with Iran and wales beat England, we’d be at the bottom of the table as the only undefeated side. 

Wales could beat England and beat Iran on goal differential and get through and leave Iran at home. A tie doesn’t guarantee Iran goes through but it’s likely. 

9 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Yeah wouldn't say having 1 goal through two games is great.

Iran is ranked 20th in the world and only need a draw. I am happy the US controls their own destiny though. Win and advance.

Iran will party like it’s 1979 if they advance and the US doesn’t … fuck that shit!

3 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Wales could beat England and beat Iran on goal differential and get through and leave Iran at home. A tie doesn’t guarantee Iran goes through but it’s likely. 

Ok so if wales beats England by 4?  Or 5, I don’t know what the next tiebreaker is if goal diff is tied. 

I guess you are right, likely is a better word than certainly, but it’s a damn high likelihood. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

Ok so if wales beats England by 4?  Or 5, I don’t know what the next tiebreaker is if goal diff is tied. 

I guess you are right, likely is a better word than certainly, but it’s a damn high likelihood. 

I don’t think so man. Iran and Wales are both on -2. If Wales beats england and Iran ties, Wales will go ahead of Iran. It’s also likely England will go ahead of Iran, provided Wales doesn’t win by 7 goals. 
so, yeah, an Iran tie and Wales win very highly likely to send Wales and England through. 

19 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

You can keep pretending that you have to have Kane, Lewy, Lukaku, etc up top to win games, but I’ll keep watching teams like Japan with their 5’8” strikers that barely score on their club teams keep generating scoring chances in the WC. Sargent scores in the prem. I don’t think he’s sniffed a ball in the 18. Tactics and coaching are the bigger issue here. 

Dude what are you talking about? First, I'm not pretending that. We had a lot of good chances today. I am well aware that we are not good at finishing chances. I'm also not blind to the fact that none of our 9s are very good. 

You said that having fucking Lewa on the team wouldn't change anything. That's an insane take. I'm not sure why you're unwilling to admit that this street goes both ways. Our tactics can be bad and at the same time having someone like Lewa could totally change our attack. Those things aren't mutually exclusive. 

Just now, Wulaw Horn said:

I don’t think so man. Iran and Wales are both on -2. If Wales beats england and Iran ties, Wales will go ahead of Iran. It’s also likely England will go ahead of Iran, provided Wales doesn’t win by 7 goals. 
so, yeah, an Iran tie and Wales win very highly likely to send Wales and England through. 

You are right, I was only thinking of England.  So much shit to consider, and I get excited when I think I have a good point. 

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

You are right, I was only thinking of England.  So much shit to consider, and I get excited when I think I have a good point. 

No problem. I think likely is the best word. It’s likely that England beats or tied Wales. But, if Wales wins it’s likely Iran gets knocked out if they only tie. They are likely to park the bus against us, but if it Wales scores a goal in the first 20 or 30 minutes they will probably have to open it up. So, Root for an early goal for Wales to get the game flowing imo. 

Who plays first?  England Wales or us?  Makes a big difference.  If Iran knows they only need a tie it’s gonna be harder.  

Not a die hard here but definitely plugged in during the WC.  

And every 4 years, I’m amazed people can call this game boring.   Even a 0-0 tie is pretty damn exciting especially with what’s on the line.  To each his own, I guess.  

Heading into the world cup, there weren't too many likely scenarios where we could advance to the next stage without beating Iran, and I figured they would be our most likely W. Two games in, not much has changed. We havent set the world on fire, but we also havent shit the bed. Beat their ass and we move on. Dont even have to worry about GD

• Hook 'Em 2