Political Cartoons - The Politics Thread.

ROFL BOX

18 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Clapping Applause GIF

https://www.lingq.com/en/learn-english-online/courses/689816/why-doctor-who-discovered-hand-washin-5071636/

The Infographics Show, Why Doctor Who Discovered Hand Washing Ended Up In A Mental Institution

It's mid-1800s...

This literally kept us back for 100 years.

Edited by workswithseed
  • Hook 'Em 1

(SIAP) Saw this article about the early, political cartoon work of Theodore Seuss Geisel. It’s freaky how germane those works are to today. Here’s the article, 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theatlantic.com/amp/article/515031/

And here’s some of the cartoons.

image.thumb.png.6449d1aeca804b20b2a02ac35eb0d552.png

Edited by Willfully Horn
Spelling
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

Agreed. And that cartoon is a good example of one, apparently, according to his family, he wished he could take back.

yeah, there is a lot of japanese racial stereotype stuff in his work.  that doesn't really get my dander up.  niceties of behavior can straight up be skipped when you are dealing with deaths of millions during a struggle for world domination

• Hook 'Em 2

21 hours ago, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

yeah, there is a lot of japanese racial stereotype stuff in his work.  that doesn't really get my dander up.  niceties of behavior can straight up be skipped when you are dealing with deaths of millions during a struggle for world domination

I can't recall who said it (believe it was a correspondent covering the Pacific theater).  But they essentially said the war in the Pacific was first and foremost a racist conflict, from both sides; two cultures largely ignorant and afraid of each other. 

58 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

I can't recall who said it (believe it was a correspondent covering the Pacific theater).  But they essentially said the war in the Pacific was first and foremost a racist conflict, from both sides; two cultures largely ignorant and afraid of each other. 

I don't know that racism was the reason for Pearl Harbor or the conquest of The Phillipines.  I doubt racism was at the core of American attempts to contain Imperial Japan.

The Japanese Asian conquests were cruel and brutal. They earned hate wherever they went.

I'm not letting the US off the hook. I suspect the racism on our end was the usual, garden variety racism of the white man.

I think Japanese feelings of superiority as well as the US's feelings of superiority fueled the "racism" that arose in the war out of the hate generated by combat. I suspect the person who stated the conflict was first and foremost racist is looking at it through a modern lense.

• Hook 'Em 5