Political Cartoons - The Politics Thread.

ROFL BOX

On 8/11/2022 at 8:38 AM, brakeman said:

image.png.c65d78084500b29f08a502d43acf04a5.png

Same for teachers who make less money than nurses. Two critical functions in our society generally requiring strong character as well as skill. So let's demean and underpay them!

Way back in the 80s when the right was beginning their principle hate campaigns, they were already focusing on schools and teachers. I read an article in either Atlantic or Harpers about teaching. Among the points, I remember the comparison with teachers in France. Those teachers are also not very well paid, but their position as teacher is greatly respected. Or at least it was back then. I hope it's the same.

I think part of the breakdown in our society is the encouragement of narcissism (due to advertising and even politics) which means you may not really appreciate others. The taxing nature of working as a nurse where you may go from wiping someone's ass to participating in a resuscitation in the turn of a moment daunts me. I have good teaching skills, but, again, I'm daunted by what a teacher must face in public schools, and I'm not even talking about mass shootings.

I likely muse for too long, but it disturbs me that for many Americans it seems the first inclination towards others is to scoff. I think it ties into something I've quoted before: there was a fundamental change in Americans when they were encouraged to think of themselves as taxpayers rather than citizens. I should see if can find the name of the person who made that observation.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

Same for teachers who make less money than nurses. Two critical functions in our society generally requiring strong character as well as skill. So let's demean and underpay them!
Way back in the 80s when the right was beginning their principle hate campaigns, they were already focusing on schools and teachers. I read an article in either Atlantic or Harpers about teaching. Among the points, I remember the comparison with teachers in France. Those teachers are also not very well paid, but their position as teacher is greatly respected. Or at least it was back then. I hope it's the same.
I think part of the breakdown in our society is the encouragement of narcissism (due to advertising and even politics) which means you may not really appreciate others. The taxing nature of working as a nurse where you may go from wiping someone's ass to participating in a resuscitation in the turn of a moment daunts me. I have good teaching skills, but, again, I'm daunted by what a teacher must face in public schools, and I'm not even talking about mass shootings.
I likely muse for too long, but it disturbs me that for many Americans it seems the first inclination towards others is to scoff. I think it ties into something I've quoted before: there was a fundamental change in Americans when they were encouraged to think of themselves as taxpayers rather than citizens. I should see if can find the name of the person who made that observation.

Solid. Our national ethos has become lopsided towards narcissism and compete lack of empathy for others. That is having exactly the effect on our society that you would expect.