Political Cartoons - The Politics Thread.

ROFL BOX

New Yorker had an article about this within the last six months or so. The permafrost is miles deep, five?, and the process of thawing is likely already irreversible. Change and sad times are indeed coming beyond my lifetime. The people then will hate us. Rightfully.

Greta haunts me.

spacer.png

• Like 1

9 hours ago, troph said:

Remember the good old days when mop would argue on hornfans it was just the natural ebb and flow of the Earth and the politics of it was just a liberal conspiracy? Ugh.

Always so calm and patient. The entire scientific community not on Big Oil's payroll had it wrong.

1 hour ago, brakeman said:

I want climate change, more than Levemir.  

you should go for a walk and eat some vegetables.

That’s a shitty comment. Type 1 is not type 2. Type 1 diabetics don’t produce any insulin. If we don’t inject insulin (5 times a day for me), I die.  Type 2’s still create insulin but are usually overweight. Diet and exercise can control it for them.

i turned type 1 at 17 but thought I was invincible. I ended up in the ICU for a week with pancreatitis. My pancreas was digesting itself. 

A couple of type 1’s I went to high school with have died because of it before they hit 30. One of them went blind around 25.

Type 1’s couldn’t buy health insurance until ACA passed in 2010. Before that, the for-profit US healthcare system relegated type 1’s to completely fend for ourselves.

Healthcare and its cost has been top of mind for me likely much longer than you’ve considered global warming top of mind. Your take a walk comment is highly insulting and demeaning for the 1.9 million type 1 diabetics.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, GenXer said:

Lower drug costs. My ass. Levemir will still cost $300 for a one month supply. Democrats fucking failed us type 1 diabetics.

It really sucks that you have to pay that but I'm not following how Democrats are to blame when they all voted for the cap.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, GenXer said:

That’s a shitty comment. Type 1 is not type 2. Type 1 diabetics don’t produce any insulin. If we don’t inject insulin (5 times a day for me), I die.  Type 2’s still create insulin but are usually overweight. Diet and exercise can control it for them.

i turned type 1 at 17 but thought I was invincible. I ended up in the ICU for a week with pancreatitis. My pancreas was digesting itself. 

A couple of type 1’s I went to high school with have died because of it before they hit 30. One of them went blind around 25.

Type 1’s couldn’t buy health insurance until ACA passed in 2010. Before that, the for-profit US healthcare system relegated type 1’s to completely fend for ourselves.

Healthcare and its cost has been top of mind for me likely much longer than you’ve considered global warming top of mind. Your take a walk comment is highly insulting and demeaning for the 1.9 million type 1 diabetics.

What did Repubs do to help you ?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, GenXer said:

Lower drug costs. My ass. Levemir will still cost $300 for a one month supply. Democrats fucking failed us type 1 diabetics.

There will be a separate vote for insulin pricing, I believe. That should make it clear who is to blame for the current pricing.

• Fuck You 1

9 hours ago, GenXer said:

8 hours ago, GenXer said:

James Franco Reaction GIF

• Like 1

I flinched at Brakeman's careless remark. Sorry, buddy. I think GenXer's response was apt.

I also flinched at GenXer's blaming the Dems because they're the only party remotely interested in his plight. In fact, the Dems are far more than remotely interested in the health of the citizenry.

It's odd that people often fault the guy trying to do something for not doing enough. The opposition gets a pass. We despise failure more than wicked indifference, I suppose. I wonder if that's American, Western, or just human nature.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

I flinched at Brakeman's careless remark. Sorry, buddy. I think GenXer's response was apt.
I also flinched at GenXer's blaming the Dems because they're the only party remotely interested in his plight. In fact, the Dems are far more than remotely interested in the health of the citizenry.
It's odd that people often fault the guy trying to do something for not doing enough. The opposition gets a pass. We despise failure more than wicked indifference, I suppose. I wonder if that's American, Western, or just human nature.

All of this.

38 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

so all the GQP that voted against it gets a pass?

Yes. That’s exactly what I said. Your strawman argument fails.

Dems knew the GQP would fight anything that helps people at the expense of pharma profits. Dems had an opportunity to make a real difference but failed to think outside the box. See my comment below.

1 hour ago, Bojack said:

It really sucks that you have to pay that but I'm not following how Democrats are to blame when they all voted for the cap.  

I don’t pay that as I have joined the corporate ranks and get insurance provided by my corporate employer. I am an advocate for the 20 yr old college student that is struggling to get by and doesn’t have the advantage of corporate insurance. That person is paying retail.

Dems failed to introduce creative legislation in the infrastructure bill. I’ve made the following suggestion (#1 below) to Dem and Rep candidates numerous times with positive feedback from both parties.

1. Allow US residents to purchase insulin (and other prescription meds) from international online providers that have FDA approval. This is a layup. It plays into the republican philosophy of competition driving prices down.

2. This one is more challenging. Build an insulin manufacturing facility(s) and partner with a company like costplus for online sales and distribution. Insulin costs less than $10 per vial to produce. Costplus’ model is cost plus 10%. This would make insulin affordable to those without health insurance. This initiative fits well into the philosophy of improving our infrastructure.  This could’ve been framed as a national security issue as diabetes is the seventh leading cause of death in the US. Like Trump, funds could be appropriated from the military like they were for his wall. These funds could’ve been used to stand up the facility. Profits from insulin sales could then pay back the military.  

Pharma and retail pharmacy companies would scream because insulin sales lets them print money. But, fuck them. They’re standing on the shoulders of the three Canadians that discovered and developed the technique to extract insulin. In turn, they sold the patent for this technology to Eli Lilly for $1 a piece.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

James Franco Reaction GIF

Health insurance companies would not sell health insurance to type 1 diabetics because we are not profitable customers.

https://diabetes.org/sites/default/files/2020-11/Preserving the Affordable Care Act is Crucial to People with Diabetes.pdf 

The ACA made it illegal for insurers to deny coverage or charge higher premiums to individuals with preexisting conditions like diabetes, paving the way for millions of Americans to gain coverage free from discrimination based on health status.

1 hour ago, brakeman said:

nope, it's all brakeman's fault.

33 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I’m not giving any politician a pass. Republican politicians demonized obamacare until 2018 when they finally saw that ACA was politically preferable. I knew going in that they would fight tooth and nail against any reduction of pharma profits.

brakeman’s cartoon irked me because it’s a gift of lower drug costs. That gift only applies to the olds on medicare. How about the 6 year old whose blood sugar spiked to 400 this morning cause he has the dawn effect? He woke up 5 times last night to piss and get a drink of water. He’ll get 15 units of lispro this morning and be sleepy during school cause he didn’t get a good night’s sleep. Mom will stop by the pharmacy and drop another $50 for another bottle of lispro. Probably need another $300 bottle of levemir as well. This is the daily life and economics of a type 1 diabetic without good health insurance. Bernie was the one that carried the torch for us early on.

I expect bold solutions.

@GenXer
I'm sorry for my rude thoughtless comment. Probably too much internet & beer for me last night. I know the IRA package let type 1 diabetics down. But the IRA legislation  was badly needed and the insulin was holding it back. I want Medicare for all and for us to get nice things. The Democrats need to get their act together before the mid-terms in November.
For what it is worth, I like both of your creative ways to drive down the cost of insulin.

• Like 1