Florida @ #16 Florida State - 6:30 CST - ABC

Neonmoon

5 minutes ago, Topper13 said:

Put an RFID chip in the ball and be done with this shit

Sure, but are you also going to put one on all the players ankles, knees, hips, butts, stomachs etc.  There are two elements to spotting a ball.  I do agree technology should somehow be able to figure it out but it's not as simple as just chipping the ball as it is not a single variable call.

Just now, Surly Bevo said:

Sure, but are you also going to put one on all the players ankles, knees, hips, butts, stomachs etc.  There are two elements to spotting a ball.  I do agree technology should somehow be able to figure it out but it's not as simple as just chipping the ball as it is not a single variable call.

you chip the ball, have timestamp where ball crosses plane - look at that still and see where body parts are. It's easier than you think.

1 minute ago, Surly Bevo said:

I'm with you, there are a number of physical factors involved. Knowing the exact time a ball crossed, when reviewing, say, a knee being down, could only help. 

9 minutes ago, immamac said:

you chip the ball, have timestamp where ball crosses plane - look at that still and see where body parts are. It's easier than you think.

Yes because seeing the body parts in a pile of body parts is always easy.  How many times have you heard them say, "Well Tony there is the ball, but can we see if his knee is down there or not?" "Well Jim it's really hard to see with all those bodies in the way." 

Like I said I'm not arguing against tech and yea it would be a good start and the fact it isn't perfect shouldn't be the enemy of better but it wouldn't solve everything.

1 minute ago, WBT said:

Where in the ball is this magical chip going to go?

Would have to be some strip running length of the ball under the cover or something like that.  Can't have it just be in one spot or of course that would also be problematic as this isn't "whole of the ball, whole of the line" like soccer etc.