The core four of the 2023 Texas defense

BigOrange1

7 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

All indications look like Sweat is returning and it'll be huge having him back.

Was about to ask if we had two athletic guys on the bench going 350ish to clog up the middle. Would be great to have him back. Who is the other dl anchor?  I haven’t paid much attention to recruiting in 4-5 years. 

3 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

Was about to ask if we had two athletic guys on the bench going 350ish to clog up the middle. Would be great to have him back. Who is the other dl anchor?  I haven’t paid much attention to recruiting in 4-5 years. 

We rotate a lot, but will still have Murphy, Collins, and Broughton plus the guys brought in last year.

Also, this guy is a January enrollee that might work his way into the rotation at some point

https://247sports.com/player/sydir-mitchell-46098968/

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

Portal

38 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

We rotate a lot, but will still have Murphy, Collins, and Broughton plus the guys brought in last year.

Also, this guy is a January enrollee that might work his way into the rotation at some point

https://247sports.com/player/sydir-mitchell-46098968/

I was thinking that the staff would be looking at the portal to bring in another DT. One of the biggest reasons the defense improved was the ability to limit snaps for the big boys. Sweat and Coburn are much different players, when they don’t have to play 50 snaps. I wonder if Sweat coming back changes the math 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 2

Is it known Watts is coming back?  Everything I’ve read is that he would be here 1 year before declaring for the draft.  He’s had a very good season and I would be shocked if he came back.  I know Ford has had 1 year of tape but it’s very good tape.  Wouldn’t be surprised if he got a decent grade and declared as well.

6 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Is it known Watts is coming back?  Everything I’ve read is that he would be here 1 year before declaring for the draft.  He’s had a very good season and I would be shocked if he came back.  I know Ford has had 1 year of tape but it’s very good tape.  Wouldn’t be surprised if he got a decent grade and declared as well.

That would be disappointing. He hasn't gotten nearly the amount of respect that he should be getting. Remember everyone saying he wasn't a CB? Maybe at the next level he'll switch to safety but right now, dude looks more than just "the part."

• Hook 'Em 2

Assuming:

Ford, Sweat, Collins, and Watts come back

No players who played a lot transfer out

Anthony Hill commits to Texas

The defense will be extremely good and possibly championship caliber.  Sorrell, Collins, Sweat, Murphy, Broughton, and all the Fr/So on the line.  Ford, Hill, and (hopefully) an elite portal addition at LB.  Watts, Barron, Thompson, and all the Fr/So at DB.

LB is the real question.  Losing Ford and not adding Hill and/or a good portal guy would be devastating.

21 minutes ago, victory88 said:

I’ve never once read that about Watts. Not everyone can go pro and get drafted in the first 3 rounds. Worrying about Ford is letting yourself be ruled by emotion. Ford’s going to make 6 figures to play at Texas next year. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I’ve never once read that about Watts. Not everyone can go pro and get drafted in the first 3 rounds. Worrying about Ford is letting yourself be ruled by emotion. Ford’s going to make 6 figures to play at Texas next year. 

I don’t think that’s been said about Watts anywhere really, fwiw Nahlin said yesterday his sources are saying Watts will be back. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I went from thinking we needed a portal starter everywhere (DT/DE/LB/CB and Safety) to thinking we can get by with a big time EDGE, and a quality Safety (along with Hill as a day 1 starter), provided Sweat, Ford and Watts come back. If they don’t then it goes back to literally needing a high quality starter from the portal at every single position 

6 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I went from thinking we needed a portal starter everywhere (DT/DE/LB/CB and Safety) to thinking we can get by with a big time EDGE, and a quality Safety (along with Hill as a day 1 starter), provided Sweat, Ford and Watts come back. If they don’t then it goes back to literally needing a high quality starter from the portal at every single position 

You’re being dramatic. 

Just now, closetojumping said:

You’re being dramatic. 

About them not coming back?  Or about what we need if they don’t?  
I’m talking about what I think we need to be a top 5 team that people view as having a legitimate change to win the title if we make the CFP (not road kill like ND or Washington or some of the others that have gotten in have been viewed as) which should be the goal for next year imo. I’m sure we could muddle through to 9-3 or 10-2 and playing for the conference title without all that. 

Of those three, Ford is the only one that I think would be a roster emergency. They should be looking to the portal for the best available LB even if Hill commits. CB, yes Watts is the best they have but I think you can live with Brooks and Barron as starters (though I’d still be looking for a transfer to add some experience/depth). Sweat coming back is a pleasant surprise if it holds, but really a luxury.

2 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Of those three, Ford is the only one that I think would be a roster emergency. They should be looking to the portal for the best available LB even if Hill commits. CB, yes Watts is the best they have but I think you can live with Brooks and Barron as starters (though I’d still be looking for a transfer to add some experience/depth). Sweat coming back is a pleasant surprise if it holds, but really a luxury.

Sure. But those other two are starters as well and we’d need to portal imo to replace them if we want to be a CFP kind of team. Ford would definitely be the biggest loss of anyone not a senior on defense. 

13 hours ago, closetojumping said:

This is The Way.

I like the list but I would replace Barryn Sorrell with Jerrin Thompson.

Thompson isn’t a super athletic player and won’t go down in Texas history with the likes of Michael Huff, Michael Griffin, or Earl Thomas, but he’s been a very steady player for Texas this year.  Very solid in run support, lays the wood on hits but always keeps the strike zone below the head and neck area, and hasn’t been a liability in coverage.

If Thompson can take on the role of getting the defensive backfield lined up next year, he’s going to be the most important player on the field after Jaylan Ford.

I like Sorrell, but let’s be honest:  he’s not keeping any offensive coordinators up at night.  No one slides protection over to account for him.  I appreciate that he’s the team’s best pass rusher, but that ain’t saying much.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fumbles said:

I like the list but I would replace Barryn Sorrell with Jerrin Thompson.

Thompson isn’t a super athletic player and won’t go down in Texas history with the likes of Michael Huff, Michael Griffin, or Earl Thomas, but he’s been a very steady player for Texas this year.  Very solid in run support, lays the wood on hits but always keeps the strike zone below the head and neck area, and hasn’t been a liability in coverage.

If Thompson can take on the role of getting the defensive backfield lined up next year, he’s going to be the most important player on the field after Jaylan Ford.

I like Sorrell, but let’s be honest:  he’s not keeping any offensive coordinators up at night.  No one slides protection over to account for him.  I appreciate that he’s the team’s best pass rusher, but that ain’t saying much.

I land closer to this sentiment than anything else regarding Sorrell. I’m happy he’s on the team contributing, but I also won’t be surprised if there are multiple guys in the portal that hold more upside for the program.

The last I heard about an edge in the portal was regarding a top 150 ranked young guy from one of the last few classes that hasn’t done anything yet. Here’s hoping the portal explodes with quality edge types and that Texas reels one in. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 11/25/2022 at 7:49 PM, BigOrange1 said:

To me, the improvement of the defense from not only year 1 to year 2, but also on a week to week basis throughout the course of this particular season, was the biggest story of the regular season for the 2022 Texas football team.  And the most exciting part about that is the core group of guys coming back next year who should make the 2023 defense a strength of the team.  That group will consist of:

1 - Jaylan Ford - the heart and soul of the defense who could very well be the Big 12 defensive player of the year this year.

2 - Ryan Watts - definitely improved throughout the course of the season and will be relied upon heavily next season.

3 - Jahdae Barron - this guy flashed more and more throughout the season and is a big play waiting to happen on the defensive side of the ball.

4 - Barryn Sorrell - should be our best pass rusher next year.  Played like an absolute monster at times this year.  Though I have him at #4 here, if all of these guys reach their max potential, he's probably the best NFL prospect of the bunch.

With these four guys leading the way next year, I am excited about the potential of a Texas defense heading into a season for the first time in a very long time.  

Sweat potentially coming back is huge. Especially paired with Murphy

Sure. But those other two are starters as well and we’d need to portal imo to replace them if we want to be a CFP kind of team. Ford would definitely be the biggest loss of anyone not a senior on defense. 

I don’t think Texas being or not being a CFP team is going to come down to anything on the defensive side of the ball, honestly. There is a lot of experience departing and the unit will regress, but hopefully not drastically given the young talent in the wings, unless there are multiple impact adds from the portal.

No defense except maybe Georgia’s could drag the current Texas offense sans Bijan and RoJo to the CFP; Texas‘s success next year is going to be riding primarily on offensive improvement.

3 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I don’t think Texas being or not being a CFP team is going to come down to anything on the defensive side of the ball, honestly. There is a lot of experience departing and the unit will regress, but hopefully not drastically given the young talent in the wings, unless there are multiple impact adds from the portal.

No defense except maybe Georgia’s could drag the current Texas offense sans Bijan and RoJo to the CFP; Texas‘s success next year is going to be riding primarily on offensive improvement.

Texas defense didn’t turn other teams over a whole hell of a lot, and gave up last minute drives or 30+ points or some combination of both in all our losses. I agree that the offense was the governor on the team this year, but we will need the portal to be as good next year as this year, and if we got a little better it takes some pressure off the offense. 
Experience at QB and the line, along with (hopefully) a net improvement at WR from the portal will have this offense better next year (hopefully) than this year even with the loss at RB. 
There is nothing even close to as important as quality QB play in college football and playing a frosh back there isn’t generally conducive to that. 

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Texas defense didn’t turn other teams over a whole hell of a lot, and gave up last minute drives or 30+ points or some combination of both in all our losses. I agree that the offense was the governor on the team this year, but we will need the portal to be as good next year as this year, and if we got a little better it takes some pressure off the offense. 
Experience at QB and the line, along with (hopefully) a net improvement at WR from the portal will have this offense better next year (hopefully) than this year even with the loss at RB. 
There is nothing even close to as important as quality QB play in college football and playing a frosh back there isn’t generally conducive to that. 

Adding elite pass rushers will make this defense a lot better. We generated a ton of pressures this season just didn't have it in us to finish off the play. If we can convert more of those pressures into sacks, watch out.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Adding elite pass rushers will make this defense a lot better. We generated a ton of pressures this season just didn't have it in us to finish off the play. If we can convert more of those pressures into sacks, watch out.

Yep. That was the missing piece between this defense being pretty good this year and having the potential to be a pride of fuck lions. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

This is the bottom line for Texas next year. Does Ewers make a leap? If so, I think they're in business as far as contending for the Big 12. If not, they'll struggle to match this year's 8-4. Everything else is secondary, and by a pretty wide margin.

I'm curious to see how Justice Finkley develops over the spring. I know many were surprised by us pulling a freakish athlete like him out from Alabama. He's played in 11 games this season but I'd be lying if I said I remembered him dominating on any specific play. Is he too small to consistently play the edge or is this a case of a young guy learning to play at a different level?

2 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

I'm curious to see how Justice Finkley develops over the spring. I know many were surprised by us pulling a freakish athlete like him out from Alabama. He's played in 11 games this season but I'd be lying if I said I remembered him dominating on any specific play. Is he too small to consistently play the edge or is this a case of a young guy learning to play at a different level?

He’s not as big as you’d like, but he wasn’t just getting mauled when he played. My view is that he’s going to be solid, but not dominant, even for brief spells. He needs to get stronger and get more experience. I assume he starts and replaces OvieO next year. That will be a net gain on defense. OO was being abused early against Baylor and it seems like they replaced him with Finkley and that stabilized the edge as the game wore on. 

Hopefully the film dorks will come along and tell me I’m an idiot and how you should really feel about him though.  

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

I actually have noticed him a few times this season, in a good way. Mostly holding up the edge against the run better than you’d expect for a true freshman. Doesn’t seem to project as a prolific pass rusher, but my understanding of the Jack position is that run support is more of a priority there. 

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

i don't know a lot about x's & o's, but i definitely noticed finkley holding his own on the edge on multiple occasions throughout the year.  

I think Finkley represents the floor at that spot for next year. He was pretty solid vs the run for a freshmen this year. I think he will be solid vs the run and has a high motor. I don’t think he is a plus athlete and will become a terror off the edge as a pass rusher, unless he becomes a technician. Like to see Tapp end up winning this spot over Finkley. He is probably has the highest ceiling from that edge spot on the current roster. The other interesting guy is Bledsoe. He is probably at Sorrell’s spot. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

He’s not as big as you’d like, but he wasn’t just getting mauled when he played. My view is that he’s going to be solid, but not dominant, even for brief spells. He needs to get stronger and get more experience. I assume he starts and replaces OvieO next year. That will be a net gain on defense. OO was being abused early against Baylor and it seems like they replaced him with Finkley and that stabilized the edge as the game wore on. 

Hopefully the film dorks will come along and tell me I’m an idiot and how you should really feel about him though.  

Losing Ovie will be a net positive to the defense. He just wasnt a great player. He improved and was average, but that was his ceiling. Also, I am not entirely sure why Jett Bush didnt walk. If I were the staff, those are the kind of guys I am packing up the lockers for and throwing a duffel bag at them when they hit the building.

D-Line will be interesting. Sweat coming back would be huge, some guys will have to step up to replace Coburn and Ojomo. Super solid this season. Collins came on a bit at the end of the year, so maybe hes on their same development trajectory 

13 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Also, I am not entirely sure why Jett Bush didnt walk. If I were the staff, those are the kind of guys I am packing up the lockers for and throwing a duffel bag at them when they hit the building.

Disagree.  He was an adequate fill-in at LB on a limited basis against run heavy teams like Iowa State.  Experienced depth is not a bad thing.  

• Hook 'Em 1