World Cup Day 7 - Tunisia/Australia, Poland/Saudi Arabia, France/Denmark, Argentina/Mexico

Captain Ron

43 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

So Mexico has to win by multiple goals, like at least 3, unless Poland or Argentina win by multiple goals?  Unlikely.  

Poland and Argentina can rotate squads and play to a draw until Mexico starts scoring.  I presume Argentina wants to win group to avoid France but, still.   

Fuck em. Said it before, will say again. Aggys of concacaf. And they are putos  

1 hour ago, A-Tex Devil said:

So Mexico has to win by multiple goals, like at least 3, unless Poland or Argentina win by multiple goals?  Unlikely.  

Poland and Argentina can rotate squads and play to a draw until Mexico starts scoring.  I presume Argentina wants to win group to avoid France but, still.   

To advance, Mexico must win and one of the following:

1. Poland beats Argentina

2. Poland and Argentina tie, Mexico must win by 3 goals

3. Argentina beats Poland, Mexico would need to make up a 4 goal differential to Poland

Edited by Captain Ron
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Macklemore said:

Don’t insult the poor bastard. @Napoleon forgot to add that the Argentines adopted tea time from the English as well. They have a very complicated and interesting history with the Brits.

I think that “merienda” was taken from the Spanish, but the Anglo-Argentines do like to “take tea” at 4:30pm or so.

Non Anglo-Argentines tend to drink mate or coffee for merienda.

If you got to Buenos Aires, the most classic British High Tea is at the Alvear Palace Hotel. (Ignore the prices, because there is no relation between peso prices in the past and today.)

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g312741-d301972-r434838777-Alvear_Palace_Hotel-Buenos_Aires_Capital_Federal_District.html

COOL STORY BRO:

The most posh upper-crust English accent I have ever heard was not on a PBS show or from a member of the British royal family, it was from the grandmother of the Murphy girl I know. (R.I.P.)

The granny was born and raised in Argentina, but her Spanish was barely better than mine 2 1/2 years into my stay down there (when I was speaking Spanish about 1% of the time), but her English was jaw-droppingly regal. That day my novia and I went to visit the Murphy girl and “Granny Dunn” at her house in Hurlingham (very close to the Hurlingham Polo Club that hosts the oldest continuous polo tournament in the world and has grass tennis courts), we sat down to tea at 4:30pm with cold toast (in a silver toast stand) and room temperature butter and marmalade.

Edited by Napoleon
  • Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Napoleon said:

I don’t know what the final tie-breaker is, but 2-0 wins by Argentina & Mexico would see Poland & Mexico tied on:

Points, Goal Differential, Head-to-Head, and Total Goals scored.

I think it's fair play/cards after that

• Hook 'Em 1

I love how Messi has transcended to such a God-tier level of football that he basically just walks the entire match because he doesn't need to do any more than that. 

Just walks around, patiently waits, somehow becomes invisible to the opposing team, gains a few yards of space, and then bang. 

6 minutes ago, WBT said:

I think it's fair play/cards after that

I think that it is right (fewer cards), which means that as of now, Poland would advance. 

Yellow Cards
Poland 4 : 6 México

Having watched Poland today, I can’t believe that they have only been issued 4 cards over 2 games, because they constantly overstepped the line of Clean Foul vs Card-able Foul.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Napoleon said:

I think that it is right (fewer cards), which means that as of now, Poland would advance. 

Yellow Cards
Poland 4 : 6 México

Having watched Poland today, I can’t believe that they have only been issued 4 cards over 2 games, because they constantly overstepped the line of Clean Foul vs Card-able Foul.

They really should just say "Ya know what, Mexico? We're sick of that 'puto' shit. Fuck on off back home."

9 hours ago, SpiralOut said:

I love how Messi has transcended to such a God-tier level of football that he basically just walks the entire match because he doesn't need to do any more than that. 

Just walks around, patiently waits, somehow becomes invisible to the opposing team, gains a few yards of space, and then bang. 

Messi has always done that.  It’s gotten more so as he has gotten older.  He has never been fast in a foot race.  He’s a midget and now running after people 15 years younger.  His change of pace while reading the play and his quickness with the ball make it seem otherwise.

9 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Whatever, we drink tea all over South America at that time. Best I ever had was in Santa Cruz, Bolivia. Tea and empanadas. 

Sometimes there are even multiple teas. Salteñas in the AM and empanadas/sweets in the PM.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...