UTRGV @ Texas tipoff 3pm Gregory Gym/Leon Black we salute you!

SL Xpress

4 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

I don't know. A team being too small on one end can mean an advantage on the other. Ideally I'd think you'd want players on the interior bigger than Disu or Bishop, but we don't. Beard likes his switching pressure defense that doesn't allow 3s and makes entry passes tough. Texas is never going to be an overwhelming rebounding team while Beard is the coach the way they were under Barnes, for example. But everyone who plays more of an interior position is a great rebounder for their size. The guards are great rebounding guards, for that matter, other than Carr. 

Still, I do think Allen may be the best rebounder on the team in terms of instincts. I don't know that that's the case, but it often feels that way to me. And there's no issue with him in terms of switching on defense. 

Creighton and Illinois will both be great tests. Let's see how the lineups compete in these next two games. 

I don't think it makes a huge difference as long as the guards are getting minutes. 

But I think the big point is Rice is better than any of our front court players outside of maybe Mitchell. Would you rather Rice get minutes or Allen, Disu, or Bishop? Those guys obviously still have value but in terms of minutes distribution I think this team is much more deadly giving more minutes to a 3rd guard than a front court player. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

1 minute ago, TexArcher said:

If I hear one more word about the anechoic chamber, the student podcast, or the friendly security guy, I'm gonna shit in an envelope and mail it to LHN headquarters.

Is there a betting line on this? Because if there is I'm sending you a package of envelopes. 

3 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I don't think it makes a huge difference as long as the guards are getting minutes. 

But I think the big point is Rice is better than any of our front court players outside of maybe Mitchell. Would you rather Rice get minutes or Allen, Disu, or Bishop? Those guys obviously still have value but in terms of minutes distribution I think this team is much more deadly giving more minutes to a 3rd guard than a front court player. 

I guess it doesn't bother me if Rice comes off the bench.

I'd like some scoring on the bench. Not to pile on Allen, but that's not who he is right now. I guess you'd still have Morris, but I like Rice for that role more. 

That's just me, though. More than one way to skin a cat. I look forward to seeing what Beard comes up with. It took a while for Andrew Jones and Christian Bishop to cement themselves in the starting lineup last year. This roster has way more room to evolve than last year's.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Wait you want to take Disu off the court? Username checks out.

1 minute ago, TexArcher said:

This is a special, special season, y'all.

I'm not seeing a special season. I'm seeing special seasons. 

Not to play up the UT struggles in some parts of our athletic department, but as a fan who has spent the better part of the last 10+ years thoroughly pissed off, I feel like as a collective we paid our penance. It's 40 years of wandering in the desert to come to the walls of Jericho. At least in men's basketball.

3 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Oh, I've said before that Beard is gonna be our Coach K.

This is the season that we became a perennial basketball power.  We're gonna be talking about this season 20 years from now the way we talk about 2003 now.  Only Beard will sustain what Barnes did three times in his tenure.  

We are coming for everybody.

Edited by TexArcher

3 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Dude... we all are. I'm sure you know what he meant. I don't think we're going to be this good every season under Beard. Even the greats have their off years. 

3 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I don't know which player I want to take off the court at the 4 and 5 but I do know this team is unreal when Rice, Carr, and Hunter are on the court together. You just saw it there on that sequence. 

Yeah I like the three guard lineup too I just think in a 9 man rotation like we are using now we will go to a 3 guard lineup only as a change of pace. We only have 4 guards that play. If Allen keeps struggling I could see Bishop starting for a bit.

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

It's hilarious they bite for that Rice pump fake every time. 

It's an elite pump fake and that move has gone out of style so defenders arent prepared for it. It's totally predictable that he would have success with it at this level. 

14 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Dude... we all are. I'm sure you know what he meant. I don't think we're going to be this good every season under Beard. Even the greats have their off years. 

I'm saying we're still not firing on all cylinders on the recruiting side of things. We still need to send guys to the NBA.

But this year we're now showing a recruiting friendly offense for the first time in Chris Beard's career. We now have the Moody Center, which is a true basketball arena in very significant ways, including student friendly seating and disconnecting seating priority from football donations, not to mention great views of the game in basically every seat. 

We already have a good class started with Holland and Johnson. 

The NIL is robust. 

You know we'll be successful in the portal.

We have a roster management genius at the helm. It might be Beard's strongest gift among many of them. 

I'm curious how the staff changes over the years. Terry, Chappell and Donewald feels odd. Not being critical, but that's a bit of a strange bench to me. The new special assistant to Beard hired from Crean's fired staff doesn't blow me away. 

I'm saying this year's team is a blast, but it's more important to me that there's an overall vision and a progression towards a bright future than anything remarkable about the current squad. 

Personally I liked last year's team a lot more than most, simply because I saw a necessary change after 6 years of shit. I feel strongly there are going to be future teams with even more potential than this one. That's way more important to me. 

Edited by SL Xpress

10 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Rice can really play. How was he not considered as one of the best transfers? 

He's been decent, but I'm gonna hold off my consideration until I see him in conference play. Appears to be figuring things out well. But still too early to tell for sure.

Edited by Herpa Derpa

1 minute ago, SL Xpress said:

I'm saying this year's team is a blast, but it's more important to me that there's an overall vision and a progression towards a bright future than anything remarkable about the current squad. 

Personally I liked last year's team a lot more than most, simply because I saw a necessary change after 6 years of shit. I feel strongly there are going to be future teams with even more potential than this one. Personally, that's way more important to me. 

Teams do not always exceed the sum of their parts. You can bring in all of the talent in the world and it doesn't necessarily create results. Calipari has one title at UK. Self JUST won his 2nd title at Kansas. 

I think it would be silly to look past this season into the future when this team already has a lot of hallmark signs to be really, really special. There are things that I'm seeing with this squad that are not easily reproducible or imitable. 

There is a universe where Chris Beard wins a national title in his 2nd season and then never wins another one or it takes a very long time. That's a possibility that you should entertain. 

Let's worry about the future when we get to it. Personally I'm not worried about it at all right now - Texas is in a great spot for years to come. 

• Hook 'Em 2

91-54 Texas.

Rice is the leading scorer with 19. 5 rebounds. 5 assists. 2-6 from BTA.

Carr with 18. Hunter with 17. Both of them 50% from the 3 point line at 4-8 and 3-6 respectively. Hunter with 0 assists, lol.

Disu with 5 blocks. Bishop had 4.

Timmy Allen fouled out. 2 points. 4 rebounds. Just bummed out for him. 

15-22 from the free throw line for 68%. So far free throw shooting hasn't been the team strength it was last year. 

Thursday we face Creighton. I know they lost to Arizona but they're HEAVILY reliant on their starting lineup and faced Arizona in their 3rd game in 3 days. Based on what I've seen I think Creighton is the best non conference foe we'll face this year, over Tennessee, Gonzaga, and Illinois. I'm looking forward to it.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Teams do not always exceed the sum of their parts. You can bring in all of the talent in the world and it doesn't necessarily create results. Calipari has one title at UK. Self JUST won his 2nd title at Kansas. 

I think it would be silly to look past this season into the future when this team already has a lot of hallmark signs to be really, really special. There are things that I'm seeing with this squad that are not easily reproducible or imitable. 

There is a universe where Chris Beard wins a national title in his 2nd season and then never wins another one or it takes a very long time. That's a possibility that you should entertain. 

Let's worry about the future when we get to it. Personally I'm not worried about it at all right now - Texas is in a great spot for years to come. 

How about we look at things however we want?

This doesn't look even remotely close to a national championship team to me. I'm not saying we don't win it, but there are significant issues with interior depth and defense. Fortunately the way college basketball and the NBA have evolved, there aren't many teams with the combination of guard play and post play to take advantage of that. 3 point shooting is not going to be elite. I don't think it has to be, but it's a weapon that will not consistently be a part of this team's arsenal.

But that's not my expectation for this team moving forward. My expectation remains to be in the top 3 in the conference and to make the Sweet Sixteen, and I don't see any reason to move my personal goal posts. 

I don't want a single season magical run. I want a consistent program, the way Beard describes over and over again in his interviews. I want 2002-2008 ad infinitum. 

Bringing in talent is a huge part of the equation. More accurately, being able to identify the talent you want and bring that talent in is a huge part of the equation. This team would be better with Cason Wallace on it, for example. That's okay. One of the things I like about Beard is that he's not exactly an introspective guy. He doesn't spend a whole lot of time adjusting his rear view mirror. Jaylon Tyson and Tre Mitchell leave the team in the middle of the season, and Beard doesn't bat an eye. He misses on a recruiting target and he's all about next up. One of his main things he looks for in recruits is they don't have a Plan B. They're all about basketball. So they have to be talented, have basketball as their life obsession, be able to switch on defense, be hard nosed, want to win above all else, and generally he prefers somewhere from 6'5 to 6'8 or so. There are a lot of programs going after those guys, and so far we've been hitting far from 100%. It's my opinion we're going to be hitting far closer to 100% here very soon. 

1 minute ago, SL Xpress said:

This doesn't look even remotely close to a national championship team to me.

Then that's where we aren't seeing eye to eye. This is absolutely, unequivocally a team that could win a national title. 

2 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

I'm not saying we don't win it

I mean you pretty much just did. Unless you put zero stock in your own opinions, in which case, why are you posting at all?

You're a good poster but you're a fucking trip sometimes, man. We are obviously going to be a consistent program going forward. What we may or may not have is a bunch of "magical runs" (to quote you) that result in FF trips or an elusive national championship. I gave you the Self and Calipari examples and you seem to have ignored them. How many teams have those two had that had unreal talent that got bounced in the SS or earlier? It's quite a few. 

A potential magical run is staring you right in the face. The blend of raw talent, experience, chemistry and effort on this team is rare. Maybe you just need to watch them play more, I'm not sure. I feel like I'm not going to convince you of it but I'm fairly confident that this team will wind up convincing you of it before March. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Late in the first half the Texas fans by the band were in the RGV coach’s head calling him “Humpty Dumpty”. He came WAY out on the court during the game IN PROGRESS and started yelling at the fans. They egged him on and I thought he was going into the stands.

87C14C87-DD13-481E-AAEA-7F7787730206.jpeg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chihorn said:

Late in the first half the Texas fans by the band were in the RGV coach’s head calling him “Humpty Dumpty”. He came WAY out on the court during the game IN PROGRESS and started yelling at the fans. They egged him on and I thought he was going into the stands.

I see it here, what you've done.

Edited by Bottlecap

13 hours ago, Chihorn said:

Imagine bleachers on all sides with a foot or two of the court.

87C14C87-DD13-481E-AAEA-7F7787730206.thumb.jpeg.37eda725bac6bb51be5f90ae09570912.jpeg
Early in the first half we were about to shoot free throws so it was getting real quiet and their coach yells something to one of his players. It was absolutely silent and one of those students yells "shut up coach!"

At halftime when RGV was headed to the locker room their coach was headed towards the students and not to the locker room and just jawing at those students. They were giving it right back.