World Cup Day 8 - Japan/Costa Rica, Belgium/Morocco, Croatia/Canada, Spain/Germany

Captain Ron

5:00 AM Eastern - Group E - Fox Sports 1

image.png.8a56bce7e6287a8ca35e5ae3db3ec987.png          VS          image.png.958ccc79b25dc583e1ce990ecd36c0f7.png

8:00 AM Eastern - Group F - Fox Sports 1

image.png.c40666dbd474f2ac27e478d47158cc1f.png          VS          image.png.435a48e966ebf8b83d5675dca0c8883b.png

11:00 AM Eastern - Group F - Fox Sports 1

image.png.428de70f1feb8873d714239afaa95736.png          VS          image.png.21a3675cd8dcbd8be150b2abb019ced7.png

2:00 PM Eastern - Group E - Fox Sports 1

image.png.c8299bc5755d8dd4172731eb00870eac.png          VS          image.png.52a48c808842db80e2fc2dd161105366.png

Lots of big questions coming in day 8

Group E will Spain and Japan advance? Will Germany and Costa Rica be eliminated?

Group F will Belgium advance? Can Canada get the first CONCACAF win?

Another day all on FS1 due to the NFL.

And I'm back in my time zone, suck it.

Edited by Captain Ron

7 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

Belgium v Morocco is awful so far.  Belgium really not showing the quality today.

It’s too bad this goal isn’t going to count. That’s going to light a fire under the Belgium ass and they are going to probably light up Morocco in the second half. That goal would give Morocco a chance. 

41 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

It’s too bad this goal isn’t going to count. That’s going to light a fire under the Belgium ass and they are going to probably light up Morocco in the second half. That goal would give Morocco a chance. 

This goal that is going to count definitely has them in it with a chance.

6 minutes ago, WBT said:

Yeah, why was he so damn far off his line.  That was like an olympic but closer in.  He just seemed unconcerned about a shot from there.

No idea.  He was cheating out the entire time.  If he was the size of Jorge Campos, I would understand.  But the dude is a head taller than the tallest Moroccan. .

9 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Belgium certainly hasn’t lived up to this generation’s hype. Maybe they can tie this in the last seven minutes, plus extra time, but they look bad.

I mean, every generation gets old eventually.  These guys made the QFs in the 16 and 21 Euros and SFs in the 18 WC.  They're Belgium, not Brazil, so I think that's pretty good.  They always seem wildly overrated in the FIFA rankings, but does anyone really pay attention to that?

• Hook 'Em 2

The bigger thing about that Costa Rica win is that it leaves the group wide open. And if Belgium loses this one, who knows?

Germany was on the brink of elimination should they lose to Spain today. Never expected CR to save them. Gives us a chance of a 9-3-3-3 group and some chaos!
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

Love it when this happens.  Euro players are so entitled from their league play that they feel they can just walk into the World Cup and win.  

So fun to see quality from unexpected places!

As a casual soccer fan, this 100%. You can see how much this moment means to teams that aren’t your typical powerhouse/soccer factory type counties. They play really hard and sometimes they can just grab a moment in time and put up a great performance to humble the shit out of the bigger names. 

1 minute ago, WBT said:

I mean, every generation gets old eventually.  These guys made the QFs in the 16 and 21 Euros and SFs in the 18 WC.  They're Belgium, not Brazil, so I think that's pretty good.  They always seem wildly overrated in the FIFA rankings, but does anyone really pay attention to that?

Not to mention the QF in 14 vs Argentina.  The only head scratcher in all their tournament runs is Wales in 16.

Their best chance was 18, but couldn’t break through the French defense even though they outplayed them.

International football is a young player tournament.  Fat Lukaku isn’t saving anybody.

9 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

Love it when this happens.  Euro players are so entitled from their league play that they feel they can just walk into the World Cup and win.  

So fun to see quality from unexpected places!

5 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

As a casual soccer fan, this 100%. You can see how much this moment means to teams that aren’t your typical powerhouse/soccer factory type counties. They play really hard and sometimes they can just grab a moment in time and put up a great performance to humble the shit out of the bigger names. 

To be fair to Morocco, many of their players feature in the Big 5 leagues in Europe (England, France, Spain, Italy, Germany). They aren't at the biggest clubs though.

• Hook 'Em 4

50 minutes ago, WBT said:

The problem is they have not won anything. And that is the bottom line.

Not to mention the QF in 14 vs Argentina.  The only head scratcher in all their tournament runs is Wales in 16.
Their best chance was 18, but couldn’t break through the French defense even though they outplayed them.
International football is a young player tournament.  Fat Lukaku isn’t saving anybody.

Belgiums demise isn’t unexpected at all, but this was for me:

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, RamjetFDO said:

Rare you see a "foul throw" called... but accurate.

I see that call every once in a while… at the U14 level. But that’s the first time I’ve ever seen a bad throw at the pro or international level. 

Edited by BrickHorn

6 minutes ago, RamjetFDO said:

Rare you see a "foul throw" called... but accurate.

2 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

I see that call every once in a while… at the U14 level. But that’s the first time I’ve ever seen a bad throw at the pro or international level. 

I think you see about 1 every month or two in the pro leagues if you watch enough games. I saw a game with two (same player) a few years back.