2022 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony

Hozz

I love Dolly Parton. I don’t get her inclusion in the Rock and Roll Hall of fame though. She sang some pop songs so I guess that counts nowadays. She seemed irritated with some of the dudes getting on her stage and in her space. And dudes singing Jolene. That’s a ladies song. Sung to a woman by a woman.

I also don’t get rappers and hip hop in there. Or strict pop stars. Or Joan Baez. Or Miles Davis. Or Harry Belafonte. Or Laura Nyro. Whatever. Great artists but not their wheelhouse.

They should have never built it in Cleveland. Cleveland has nothing to do with the actual music. They were still listening to fucking Pat Boone years after Ike Turner parked at Sun Studios and started it all.

It belongs in Memphis.

8 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

I love Dolly Parton. I don’t get her inclusion in the Rock and Roll Hall of fame though.

She tried to bow out of her nomination, because she felt she wasn't a rock artist.  The HoF had already sent out the ballots, so she accepted the honor.

They should have never built it in Cleveland. Cleveland has nothing to do with the actual music. They were still listening to fucking Pat Boone years after Ike Turner parked at Sun Studios and started it all.

Unfamiliar with Alan Freed?  He started playing black R&B on his Cleveland radio show in the early 50's and coined the term "rock and roll", and hosted the first major rock concert.  In that sense, Cleveland is part of rock 'n roll history.

Edited by jimmyjazz

I'm just now through the Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis induction, but holy smokes those guys are impressive.  They knew what they wanted to do and they did it.

Pat Benatar and Neil Giraldo were equally impressive, and I was never a huge fan.  Didn't hate 'em or anything, it just wasn't my cup of tea, but that dude can play guitar and of course she can flat out sing.  They seem like good peeps, too.

Beyond that, I could watch John Taylor play bass for hours.

Looking forward to Eminem.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

The irony of Rob singing "Jolene" was lost on a whole bunch of people.

It shouldn't have been if they had watched the Priest induction.  Liked JP's set but wish they would have done Victim of Changes.

I think from the bits and pieces I have seen, the Eurythmics is my favorite at this point.  (and I was a very big fan of both JP and Benatar back in the day)  Eminem's was better but Lennox is in her 60's and can still get it. 

On 11/28/2022 at 10:39 PM, Texzilla58 said:

I love Dolly Parton. I don’t get her inclusion in the Rock and Roll Hall of fame though. She sang some pop songs so I guess that counts nowadays. She seemed irritated with some of the dudes getting on her stage and in her space. And dudes singing Jolene. That’s a ladies song. Sung to a woman by a woman.

I also don’t get rappers and hip hop in there. Or strict pop stars. Or Joan Baez. Or Miles Davis. Or Harry Belafonte. Or Laura Nyro. Whatever. Great artists but not their wheelhouse.

It belongs in Memphis.

Uhh, so other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

• Fuck You 1

I wonder how long it will take before the average American figures out that the "Rock 'n Roll" HOF is a misnomer, that it won't be limited to rock artists, that it's pretty much a Hall of Fame dedicated to artists who mostly sold a lot of records after 1950 and weren't focused on classical, jazz, or international music?

At this point I don't get the hot takes about rap or country or whatever.  Get over it.  They're part of the club.