It's Official: Houston is now a third world country

Stella Link

52 counties in Texas have a population <5k.  Damn.  That's more than I thought.

In other news, in the past week Amarillo hung the new city limit signs with population over 200K.  Urbanites!!!

44 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’m sure COH will blame ERCOT/any state agency, and not accept any responsibility. 

Wash, rinse, repeat. You get what you vote for. 

Actually, the COH is in the middle of a 5-year water price increase that will almost double water bills after 5 years.  Money is going towards rebuilding the aging and deteriorating water treatment plants around the city.  Now, I'm sure this will never happen in Houston again....#sarcasm

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Dewey said:

20 psi is basically whatever pressure was left in the system, plus gravity doing it's thing. Standard psi is usually between 60-90 psi when it gets to your building,  if I remember correctly. 

90 sounds high. I thought home pressure usually topped out at 60 but lower is acceptable.

• Hook 'Em 1

That's my bad, my recent experience is working on commercial building, last talk I had with our fire sprinkler guy, he said 60-90 into the building. When I worked residential, seemed like if water pressure was a problem it was a city problem, not ours. At any rate, you couldn't pay me enough to run a water plant. 

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

90 sounds high. I thought home pressure usually topped out at 60 but lower is acceptable.

90 is high.  If consistent, that pressure can fuck up fixtures and appliances like water heaters over time.

Anything over 80, a PRV is best practice.

If yours is between 60 and 70, that's OK. 

31 minutes ago, Samson&#x27;s Wig said:

If you think Austin has only boiled water once, well please have a seat and let me tell you a story or ten.

I'm going back to 2020.  I'm sure there are other examples.  Having lived in both Houston and Austin, you'll be shocked to know that Austin, on various levels, is run more effectively than Houston.  Much more effectively.  That may scare some people from Austin so just think about how Houston must be run... 

1 hour ago, SizzleChest said:

90 is high.  If consistent, that pressure can fuck up fixtures and appliances like water heaters over time.

Anything over 80, a PRV is best practice.

If yours is between 60 and 70, that's OK. 

yeah, I fought it at first because I like more water pressure.  But it takes a toll on appliances and tankless water heaters.  Plus we started having kids.  And the wastewater averaging bills were getting too high.  So I slapped a PRV on, we fluctuate around 65.  It takes a bit to get used to, but in the end...it's for the best. 

So they figure out why the electrical went out on this water facility yet?  I'm guessing those things use quite a bit of juice.  

41 minutes ago, texasdago said:

I'm going back to 2020.  I'm sure there are other examples.  Having lived in both Houston and Austin, you'll be shocked to know that Austin, on various levels, is run more effectively than Houston.  Much more effectively.  That may scare some people from Austin so just think about how Houston must be run... 

Austin is a much easier city to run than Houston is. I'm sure if we shipped the Austin leadership to Houston they'd fuck it up worse. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Stella Link said:

Actually, the COH is in the middle of a 5-year water price increase that will almost double water bills after 5 years.  Money is going towards rebuilding the aging and deteriorating water treatment plants around the city.  Now, I'm sure this will never happen in Houston again....#sarcasm

That increase is going to suck ass considering what renewal rates for electricity are like right now.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

"We believe..." 

Desus And Mero Pass GIF by Bernie Sanders

Ehh. I drank from the tap this morning and around noon. Don’t be a pussy. 

WWGD? - what would Gary do?  This is how I make most food and drinking decisions (you have to watch naked and afraid to understand)

30 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

Ehh. I drank from the tap this morning and around noon. Don’t be a pussy. 

WWGD? - what would Gary do?  This is how I make most food and drinking decisions (you have to watch naked and afraid to understand)

Don't live inside the Houston water trough, but I wouldn't give a squirt of piss for what Sylvester Turner believes. But  Naked and Afraid definitely sounds like something a pussy would watch 

Edited by Dennis Taylor