World Cup Day 9 - Cameroon/Serbia, South Korea/Ghana, Brazil/Switzerland, Portugal/Uruguay

Captain Ron

50 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

But, he stopped the ball.......with his hand. 🤔 

Stopping the ball with your hand doesn't mean it's automatically a handball.

There are plenty of instances where the rule that it's not a handball due to a number of factors. Many of us have seen far worse not called under the rules.

18 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Stopping the ball with your hand doesn't mean it's automatically a handball.

There are plenty of instances where the rule that it's not a handball due to a number of factors. Many of us have seen far worse not called under the rules.

We all know that.

But the problem is, the ball went through his legs, and his hand, with fingers spread, just happened to be in position to stop the ball going towards the goal. I just don’t see how that one is not called.

I’ve talked with two college soccer players today, one just minutes ago, and they both said it was a correct call. I also talked to my godson in Germany, and he has been a professional center back since he was 16, he’s 20 now. He said he would have called it.

But, that is the fun part of this kind of thing where we can all disagree and cordially argue about the call.

18 hours ago, kingkoopa6 said:

lol. chip in the ball.. goal VAR check?

18 hours ago, kingkoopa6 said:

i wanna see the offsides line thingy to determine if he got a strand of hair on the ball or not 

THEY DID!

He didn't touch it

https://www.espn.com/soccer/portugal-por/story/4818955/fifa-tech-confirms-ronaldo-didnt-score-portugal-opener 

r1098888_3_1279x720_16-9.jpg&w=1140&cqua 

r1098885_1279x720_16-9.jpg&w=1140&cquali 

• Haha 1

It appears that ESPN is on team No Handball

https://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-world-cup/story/4818763/why-portugal-var-handball-penalty-was-the-wrong-decision 

One of those specific examples covers when "arm position is for support when falling or when getting up from the ground." It doesn't matter if the ball hits the hand before it touches the ground.

r1098621_1296x729_16-9.jpg&w=1140&cquali

The example (above) issued by the IFAB is a near copy of the Jose Maria Gimenez handball. The IFAB

34 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

The only justification for this to be a penalty is if the defender placed his arm in a specific place to deliberately stop the ball, it's the only explanation the officials have. But Gimenez places him arm in a natural position to support his body, and it just so happened that's where the ball went.

I guess that's the gist of it.  Putting your hand behind you and between your legs to me qualifies as making yourself bigger in hopes of blocking the ball.  You can certainly argue that it was a natural way to fall as well.