Conference Championship Games - Discussion

Wally Pryor

No 2 sec teams should be in the CFB,  and 2 loss Bama needs to keep the fuck out. So tired to the Sabah Slurp from football media.

Want the the pathetic diving/ice dancing judging method of selecting teams to die.

Settle it on the field, like people with testicles are supposed to. 

I am embarrassed for those who support “brand”-only participation in championships.

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, El Squared said:

No 2 sec teams should be in the CFB,  and 2 loss Bama needs to keep the fuck out. So tired to the Sabah Slurp from football media.

Want the the pathetic diving/ice dancing judging method of selecting teams to die.

I am embarrassed for those who support “brand”-only participation in championships.

Most people don't support it. Just stating how they expect it to shake out.

22 minutes ago, El Squared said:

Do you really believe TCU is better than Alabama? 

4 hours ago, Juicy said:

I don’t think that was wood you knocked on.

Not that I am too worried about an Ohio state rematch I just think it would be dumb as shit to play them again after they just got beat by over 3TDs at home.

Put them in the 4 seed and fuck bama. TCU should remain 3 with a win or loss today. A two loss bama over TCU who will have beat every team they played is fucking dumb.

It sucked, but oh well.  Williams getting hobbled with a pulled hamstring was the horseshoe Utah needed this time around.  On USC's first couple scoring drives, before he was injured, Utah's defense was playing slow and hesitant because they had to pay so much attention to the possibility of Williams running.  After they realized he was immobilized they were able to pin their ears back and stop playing on their heels, which drastically cut down on their blown coverages and killed USC's running game because they knew he wasn't going to pull any handoffs and run it himself.  If Williams is at 100% all game that's a win with a final score around 55-45.

All in all going from 4-8 to 11-2 in one year was pretty great, but I hope Grinch is replaced this offseason.  I don't place 100% of the defense's problems on Grinch because he inherited some serious talent/depth problems thanks to Helton's garbage recruiting the last couple years, but at some point the DC has to come up with a scheme that doesn't turn every fucking QB and TE he faces into an All American having a career day.  Grinch has been coasting for years off some moderate success at Washington State and that's great if he's at Washington State-type schools but the bar should be higher for USC.

On 11/29/2022 at 6:34 PM, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

Purdue has played Michigan only once in the last 10 seasons, counting 2022 -- back in 2017.  Weird eh?

no one here should be rooting against TCU - except for the few Ohio State posters.  We need a Texas team in the playoffs . We need to keep the damn buckeyes out. I'm sick of the same teams at the top. 

Fuck TCU and this cheating conference. I wish all the worst on this conference. They’ve fucked us at every opportunity and whined about us when they weren’t fucking us. 

No, Big 12. Fuck YOU!

• Hook 'Em 2

On 11/30/2022 at 10:43 AM, nnm said:

At a minimum, B12 teams should be in favor of TCU making the CFI because of the payout.  The B12 will receive 6 million if TCU makes the CFI (not sure what the distribution is). 

KSU should lay down the way Wisky did in 2019 to the Cardale Jones (we didn't come here to play school) tOSU team. 

KSU gets Sugar either way, and gets more money if they lose because of TCU's CFI inclusion.  They should take the Clayton Williams approach. 

Fuck the Rig 12. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, El Squared said:

If you had to bet your life on the outcome of a TCU-Alabama matchup, who would you pick?

What if all the top teams playing in the conference champ games lose? LMFAO
What a cluster and even in the new format coming it would be a shit show if Georgia, TCU, Michigan and USC lost and became at large. While Utah , Purdue, KSU and LSU got first round byes 

So is the Conference Champ bye thing for real? Or just speculation?

3 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

First I’ve heard of it. No way it happens because that would be idiotic. 

What teams get in?

The model is referred to as six and six. The six highest ranked conference champions get a spot, with the four highest ranked champs earning first-round byes.

A selection committee will also pick the six best at-large teams, chosen regardless of conference.

I don’t want to watch this sloppy ass two loss not even in their conference championship Bama team in the CFP. Look I am all for chaos as the way the CFP as it’s currently set up is total fucking bullshit.

I think KState v Bama could be interesting. This is the most sloppy penalty wise Bama team I’ve seen in a long while. I think the bowl games (not the CFP) will have some absolutely fun matchups.

This Tulane v UCF game is kinda fun now. Two quick TDs by both teams. Still enough time left to make it interesting.

4 minutes ago, nineliveslost said:

What teams get in?

The model is referred to as six and six. The six highest ranked conference champions get a spot, with the four highest ranked champs earning first-round byes.

A selection committee will also pick the six best at-large teams, chosen regardless of conference.

So what would happen this year when OSU and TCU are 1-loss non-champs ranked in the top 4? Wound they re-rank them and put, say, a 2-loss Clemson or a 3-loss Utah or KSU in the top 4? Or would OSU and TCU host home games against...who? It’s supposed to be #5 vs. #12, #6 vs. #11, and so on. How would that work? Do you really think a 3-loss conference champ should be ranked ahead of 1-loss non-champ?

Where’d you see that? Post a link. That sounds profoundly stupid an unmanageable. 

2 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

So what would happen this year when OSU and TCU are 1-loss non-champs ranked in the top 4? Wound they re-rank them and put, say, a 2-loss Clemson or a 3-loss Utah or KSU in the top 4? Or would OSU and TCU host home games against...who? It’s supposed to be #5 vs. #12, #6 vs. #11, and so on. How would that work? Do you really think a 3-loss conference champ should be ranked ahead of 1-loss non-champ?

Where’d you see that? Post a link. That sounds profoundly stupid an unmanageable. 

Sorry to upset you but its in any google search

3 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

It’s not hard to copy and paste a link. I’m not going to search out the source of whatever bullshit you’re posting. Cite your sources. 

https://www.ksbw.com/amp/article/college-football-playoff-expansion-how-it-will-work/42127954

https://www.wftv.com/sports/explainer-how-will/LU73SBGMCGJBL6HBQBS6GLKKGU/

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/35155431/college-football-playoff-expansion-need-know

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_Football_Playoff

There you go, you lazy fucking cunt. Hopefully, you can read it for yourself or at least get someone to help with the big words.

1 minute ago, nineliveslost said:

oh for fuck sakes you lazy ass. Look yourself and stop pouting 

it's on any site talking about future playoffs

G.O.O.G.L.E

Give him a break, he's got that Ohio edumacation.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

Which is dumb, the whole purpose of the committee and playoffs was to put the 4 best teams in. I think Utah would punk TCU let alone Georgia or Michigan. 

So wins and losses don’t matter?

You should take up sports betting. I’ll bet you’d make a fortune. 

1 hour ago, Herpa Derpa said:

First, fuck you. You’re the one posting shit without citing a source like a C student.

I read the ESPN link. They still merit the bullshit label as an organization but they run the CFP. First, any system that ranks a 3-loss team ahead of a 1-loss team from a major conference is profoundly stupid and I’d be inclined to say the same about anyone who thinks that’s a good idea. Conference championships don’t affect seeding in the NCAA tourney. We’ll have to wait to see where the final rankings fall on Sunday to judge by this year’s teams. But their scenario has current #18 Tulane playing at current #5 OSU. I like the idea of southern teams having to come play in the ‘Shoe in December. But Tulane? Who wants to watch that game? Again, we’ll see how truly messed up this idea is on Sunday. But it’s looking less like a playoff, less like a sport, and more like a reality tv show.

One other takeaway from that article that isn’t news and we already knew about:

”The SEC has had the most appearances (10), wins (14) and championships (five) during the CFP era, and likely will enhance its share of the field with up to seven available slots.”

That’s what’s driving this whole thing. I can’t even begin to imagine how they justify not placing teams in the playoff according to a best estimate of national ranking. They say the 4-team playoff is about selecting the 4 best teams. That’s out the window if you’re ranking teams with worse records higher than teams with better records, teams with worse rankings in the AP and Coaches polls above teams with higher rankings in same, just because they won one championship game. Non-conference losses cease to matter in that case. Adding a bunch of 2- and 3-loss teams to the playoff isn’t going to make it better. Giving some teams a higher seed than teams with better records isn’t going to help. 

Edited by WhatTheBuck

1 hour ago, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

Just playing the "what if" game here, because it isn't happening, but if Michigan loses a championship game to Purdue, then they really shouldn't be in the playoff.

Perhaps, but they would be.  They would just drop to 3, TCU would move to 2 and Ohio State would be 4.

35 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

First, fuck you. You’re the one posting shit without citing a source like a C student.

I read the ESPN link. They still merit the bullshit label as an organization but they run the CFP. First, any system that ranks a 3-loss team ahead of a 1-loss team from a major conference is profoundly stupid and I’d be inclined to say the same about anyone who thinks that’s a good idea. Conference championships don’t affect seeding in the NCAA tourney. We’ll have to wait to see where the final rankings fall on Sunday to judge by this year’s teams. But their scenario has current #18 Tulane playing at current #5 OSU. I like the idea of southern teams having to come play in the ‘Shoe in December. But Tulane? Who wants to watch that game? Again, we’ll see how truly messed up this idea is on Sunday. But it’s looking less like a playoff, less like a sport, and more like a reality tv show.

One other takeaway from that article that isn’t news and we already knew about:

”The SEC has had the most appearances (10), wins (14) and championships (five) during the CFP era, and likely will enhance its share of the field with up to seven available slots.”

That’s what’s driving this whole thing. I can’t even begin to imagine how they justify not placing teams in the playoff according to a best estimate of national ranking. They say the 4-team playoff is about selecting the 4 best teams. That’s out the window if you’re ranking teams with worse records higher than teams with better records, teams with worse rankings in the AP and Coaches polls above teams with higher rankings in same, just because they won one championship game. Non-conference losses cease to matter in that case. Adding a bunch of 2- and 3-loss teams to the playoff isn’t going to make it better. Giving some teams a higher seed than teams with better records isn’t going to help. 

I like your passion, brains not so much. Such a strange hill to die on... They will have the top conference champs have a bye regardless of the record. 

Don't hate the players, hate the game. 

4 minutes ago, Hozz said:

Perhaps, but they would be.  They would just drop to 3, TCU would move to 2 and Ohio State would be 4.

I really don't know. It's already ridiculous enough that we are looking at 2 non-champs backing into the game. A loss to Purdue on a neutral field, playing for a championship, would make me seriously start looking at Utah, LSU, and Kansas State of I am on the committee.

still way early but if Michigan loses tonight then 3 of the 4 CFP probables lose their last game and none of the 3 win their conference.  Neither do Alabama / USC / Tennesse/ Penn State. So, only 1 of the top 8 CFP ranked teams would have won their conference - if Blue loses tonight.  That's freaky.  

and the conference winners are 9 Clemson 10 KSU 11 Utah 

which is why having the top 4 teams getting  a bye is a horrible idea. They don't deserve it.  They also don't deserve HFA in their first game.    

Edited by Make em eat Taco Bell