Conference Championship Games - Discussion

Wally Pryor

2 minutes ago, Hozz said:

LSU got destroyed and now has 4 losses?  Utah and K State have 3?  No way those teams are getting in over a 1 loss P5.

If Michigan loses, the whole system should be reevaluated. There is no credibility when 3/4 of the teams couldn't even win their own fucking conference and back in after losing their last game. Has anyone ever backed into a championship and not been embarrassed? I can only think of Nebraska vs Miami and Oklahoma vs LSU. I would push for a Georgia, Utah, Kansas State, Alabama as a better field than Georgia, Michigan, Ohio State, TCU if Michigan loses. Georgia would be the only team that belongs in either scenario.

Just now, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

If Michigan loses, the whole system should be reevaluated. There is no credibility when 3/4 of the teams couldn't even win their own fucking conference and back in after losing their last game. Has anyone ever backed into a championship and not been embarrassed? I can only think of Nebraska vs Miami and Oklahoma vs LSU. I would push for a Georgia, Utah, Kansas State, Alabama as a better field than Georgia, Michigan, Ohio State, TCU if Michigan loses. Georgia would be the only team that belongs in either scenario.

not only that but in the 12 team scenario these shit teams MICH, TOSU, TCU would get home field advantage AND a fucking bye in Round 1.  Unfair?  Stupid? both (yes). 

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

not only that but in the 12 team scenario these shit teams MICH, TOSU, TCU would get home field advantage AND a fucking bye in Round 1.  Unfair?  Stupid? both (yes). 

So what non-shit teams are there that you would put in? USCal? Bama? Tenn? Pedo St? Wash? Clemson? LSU?  Are they more or less crappy than the teams you don’t like?

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, nnm said:

So what non-shit teams are there that you would put in? USCal? Bama? Tenn? Pedo St? Wash? Clemson? LSU?  Are they more or less crappy than the teams you don’t like?

you missed the point completely.  There should be no HFA or byes under any circumstances. This year  is a prime example, only GA is worthy of such an honor.  So the 12 team system because it's not 2, 4, 8, 16 (binary?) leads to byes.  So, be 8 or 16, no byes by definition and avoid HFA. 

1 hour ago, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

If Michigan loses, does Purdue jump them to play in the Rose Bowl against Utah, a team that also had no shot at the National Championship?  It's deranged.  TCU, Michigan and USC all drop because they lose to lower ranked teams and not only lose a bid to the NC, but also their top conference bowl game, ie the Rose or Cotton.  What's in it for them to play in conference championship games?  

Edited by Mdhorn

1 minute ago, Mdhorn said:

If Michigan loses, does Purdue jump them to play in the Rose Bowl against Utah, a team that also had no shot at the National Championship?  It's deranged.  TCU, Michigan and USC all drop because they lose to lower ranked teams and not only lose a bid to the NC, but also their top conference bowl game, ie the Rose or Cotton.  What's in it for them?  

Legitimacy. You can't seriously call yourself a conference champion if you don't play the best team of the group of teams not on your schedule.

On 11/28/2022 at 11:29 AM, Helobious said:

Purdue-Mich is going to be a great game. Purdue has never lost to a top 5 ranked team, and Brohm is 3-0 against such opponents.

I read some stupid article the other day saying the same thing and just laughed.

In what way do events from decades ago, have influence on games played right now?

What is it, the ghost of boilermaker past come in and scare the shit out of opponents or something?

2 hours ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

Only the top 4 conference champs would get the bye. Once you remove those the next top 4 would get the home game.

Georgia, Michigan, Clemson, and K State would get the byes as the highest ranked conference champions

TCU, Ohio St, Alabama, and Utah would get the home games

USC, Tenn, Pedo, and Tulane* would be the last 4 in

SEC -3
B1G -3
B12 -2
P12 -2
ACC -1
AAC -1* (outside top 12 but gets the automatic bid as the #6 conference champ)

13 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Serious question -- where the hell did this "You shouldn't be penalized for losing your conference championship game" narrative that everyone's trotting out as a truth come from?

It started around 2003, when the best college football team of all time, Oklahoma, lost to Kansas State 35-7 in the Big 12 championship game.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Serious question -- where the hell did this "You shouldn't be penalized for losing your conference championship game" narrative that everyone's trotting out as a truth come from?

Yeah it's fucking stupid. I haven't heard anyone yet who could even give a bad reason why Ohio St, TCU, or USC should be in the playoff, but the assumption seems to be that Ohio St & maybe TCU will get in. In a 12-team playoff, I get it, but in a 4-team playoff, there's no legit reason to allow teams in that didn't win their conference.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

Only the top 4 conference champs would get the bye. Once you remove those the next top 4 would get the home game.

Georgia, Michigan, Clemson, and K State would get the byes as the highest ranked conference champions

TCU, Ohio St, Alabama, and Utah would get the home games

USC, Tenn, Pedo, and Tulane* would be the last 4 in

SEC -3
B1G -3
B12 -2
P12 -2
ACC -1
AAC -1* (outside top 12 but gets the automatic bid as the #6 conference champ)

no one should get a bye which is exactly why 12 is a bad number.  On top of that, no one should get HFA.  

11 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

First, fuck you. You’re the one posting shit without citing a source like a C student.

I read the ESPN link. They still merit the bullshit label as an organization but they run the CFP. First, any system that ranks a 3-loss team ahead of a 1-loss team from a major conference is profoundly stupid and I’d be inclined to say the same about anyone who thinks that’s a good idea. Conference championships don’t affect seeding in the NCAA tourney. We’ll have to wait to see where the final rankings fall on Sunday to judge by this year’s teams. But their scenario has current #18 Tulane playing at current #5 OSU. I like the idea of southern teams having to come play in the ‘Shoe in December. But Tulane? Who wants to watch that game? Again, we’ll see how truly messed up this idea is on Sunday. But it’s looking less like a playoff, less like a sport, and more like a reality tv show.

One other takeaway from that article that isn’t news and we already knew about:

”The SEC has had the most appearances (10), wins (14) and championships (five) during the CFP era, and likely will enhance its share of the field with up to seven available slots.”

That’s what’s driving this whole thing. I can’t even begin to imagine how they justify not placing teams in the playoff according to a best estimate of national ranking. They say the 4-team playoff is about selecting the 4 best teams. That’s out the window if you’re ranking teams with worse records higher than teams with better records, teams with worse rankings in the AP and Coaches polls above teams with higher rankings in same, just because they won one championship game. Non-conference losses cease to matter in that case. Adding a bunch of 2- and 3-loss teams to the playoff isn’t going to make it better. Giving some teams a higher seed than teams with better records isn’t going to help. 

I'm a different poster you dumb illiterate cunt. You're the F student and I'm the fucking teacher.

I guess expecting you to be able to read was too much to ask. 

So fuck right off back to your useless state of rusted, broken down factories and the tubs of corn syrup you call Ohioans.

Edited by Herpa Derpa
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

When we have a season without many one loss teams to replace an undefeated that happens to lose in the CCG. It matters, just not this year.