USA World Cup Match 3: Iran

Captain Ron

10 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

i think the game changed when Weston went out. He and Tyler control the mid-field. We lost complete control of it when he went out. We couldn't maintain possession.

Yeah, Weston played great too, should have kept him in longer. The team lost control of the midfield and the attack late, and had to turtle for a longass time. Really shouldn't have been that close.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Harrison Stafford said:

Our coach sucks. His lineups and formations are crap with the players he has. That the forward sub at the end didn’t take the ball to the corner flag to run time says it all. To advance towards the goal in that situation is selfish.  

Well in good news we probably now get 4 more years of him....yay.

• Rage+1 5

4 minutes ago, RamjetFDO said:

Shit - CP10 with a mysterious "abdominal injury" and taken to the hospital.  Hope it's just an abundance of caution.

Ruling out a bladder or bowel perforation if it’s really abdominal. Or could be crushed testicle like Manu Ginobili but they don’t want to say that. 

CT scans will tell the tale on the first option. 

Edited by Humble Beast

Ratings:

Turner 6 - One nervy moment very late in the game, otherwise steady as always

Ream 6 - Steady and reliable in defense. Good distribution today.

CCV 7 - A few risky fouls but Iran challenged him a bunch and he was more than up to the task.

Robinson 5 - Looked very dangerous early on but mostly quiet after halftime.

Dest 7 - Also dangerous in attack. Got tired late.

Adams 7 - What he does isn't flashy, and he offers little in attack, but effectively won back possession again and again and again. Did have one beautiful through ball to Sargent to create a chance.

McKennie 7 - Very active creating before getting tired.

Musah 7 - For me, our best player today before tiring around 70'. Still ran his ass off while clearly gassed though.

Sargent 7 - All over the field today; holding up, tracking back to defend, you name it.

Pulisic 7 - Gutsy goal and looked dangerous beforehand as well. Set pieces were trash. Hope his nuts are OK.

Weah 5 - Caused plenty of problems for the Iranian defense but just couldn't finish.

Subs:

Moore 3 - Some good moments in defense, but also a couple boneheaded plays. Moment too big for him.

Acosta 4 - Didn't notice him which I presume is good.

Wright 2 - Terrible. Zero impact. Might as well have stood around with his hands in his pockets.

Aaronson 6 - Ran around a bunch but wasn't as confident as I had hoped. Put in a tough position.

Zimmerman 6 - Brought on to clear the shit out the ball again and again and he did just that.

Berhalter 5 - Terrible strategy to bunker in the 2nd half, very questionable subs in Moore and Wright, but we advanced.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Still can't believe we parked the bus for 30 minutes.

And in the process gave away control of the game. Iran had little attack, until we let them have it. Really stupid strategy.

I am glad it worked out. 

denzel-relieved.gif?w=366&resize=1031,58

See you all on Saturday (ok - tomorrow, there are more games).

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

I like Shaq Moore.  He was really good in summer of 2021 in Gold Cup.  I was surprised he came back to MLS. He’s out of his depth here. 

I don’t think Haji Wright sucked as much as it was a horrible substitution for how GGG intended to play the rest of the game.  I thought he was solid against England and I’d start him against Holland over Sargent and Ferreira but am fine with Sargent too.  

No one out on Yellows for Saturday. That’s nice to see. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

How good are we 1-5 (after subbing) at penalty kicks? Saw Turner saves a crazy high percentage.  If we can get it scoreless after 2 hours...

Who knows man, but this team (while giving up 0 run of play goals in 3 matches) doesn't scream to me like a team that can succeed playing for 0-0.

1 minute ago, SimonBolivar said:

Who knows man, but this team (while giving up 0 run of play goals in 3 matches) doesn't scream to me like a team that can succeed playing for 0-0.

Sure.  But my guess is if we are going to win it will be on PK.  Maybe 1-1.  I don't see us beating them on run of play over 90 minutes.  

If we're being fair to Gregg parking the bus, he's seen us repeatedly piss away good chances this tourney. 

Jesting aside - I don't have a problem with the extra CD. I'm not sure why Reyna isn't playing - obviously - and I'd rather see Scally or Yedlin at this point over Moore. 

Honestly - because we're such shit at RB - I think the best move is potentially moving Acosta to RB and leaving the backup RBs on the bench. But I don't really want to see Acosta taking guys 1 on 1 down the sideline, and I also am not sure who you then sub in - I'm assuming LDLT has fitness issues. Maybe Haji and Reyna instead of Haji and Moore? Move the midfield around a bit and push Kellyn out wide? Or just leave Weah in the game? 

There really aren't a lot of good answers with a lot of this besides, as a start, putting Gio in the game. Once you get past that this roster gets messy when you have guys that are 250 minutes in and clearly gassed and your best player on attack breaks his dick before halftime. 

Tactically up front Gregg is really poor and his subs are questionable at best but he deserves more credit than he's getting here for us not conceding a goal from open play across 3 games. We needed 3 points and GD against a billion+ dollar side and a sneaky dangerous Iran team and we got 4 points and didn't need to break a tie. Our team plays for each other and plays hard to a higher degree than some other teams in this tournament. That may be more attributable to the players we have but Gregg at the least isn't getting in the way of it and fucking our chemistry up. 

There are obviously better managers out there and I want to see us make a change after this tourney but there are also worse managers out there. Including England's.

One last thing - Mexico and Canada have looked like dogshit and they both topped us in WCQ. We have more talent than they do but we just handled business and they haven't or aren't. 

Edited by ztejas

5 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

How good are we 1-5 (after subbing) at penalty kicks? Saw Turner saves a crazy high percentage.  If we can get it scoreless after 2 hours...

Pulisic is very good. Past that I really couldn't tell you. I'm assuming Aaronson and Reyna are competent, probably Acosta, too. 

Turner is definitely our ace in the hole there. 

5 minutes ago, Horndog said:

Any news on Sargent? His injury didn't look good. And it was a large part of the added 9 minutes. 

Looked like he hyperextended it but not necessarily like ligament damage.  Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Edited by WBT

4 minutes ago, Scary Stranger said:

I saw him out there celebrating without a shoe and no bandage or anything on the ankle.  Couldn't be too bad, right?

Same. He was walking around barefoot but without a noticeable limp.

FWIW, Reyna was sulking around by himself during the celebration. Definitely something going on there.

6 minutes ago, tokamak said:

It looked to me like the injury was more from coming down on the ball (like landing on someone’s foot in basketball) than it was the hyperextension, but who knows. I thought this was one of his best games with the USMNT, hopefully he’s good to go by Saturday…

Edited by Ignatius

6 minutes ago, tokamak said:

FWIW, Reyna was sulking around by himself during the celebration. Definitely something going on there.

The elephant in the room with this whole Reyna ordeal is that Reyna is a bit of a head case. I want him on the pitch but him having burned a bridge or two with Berhalter by this point wouldn't surprise me. 

Just hope he's ready to go by 2026.