USA World Cup Match 3: Iran

Captain Ron

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

The elephant in the room with this whole Reyna ordeal is that Reyna is a bit of a head case. I want him on the pitch but him having burned a bridge or two with Berhalter by this point wouldn't surprise me. 

Just hope he's ready to go by 2026. 

Its not just Reyna, its Scally too. 

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

The elephant in the room with this whole Reyna ordeal is that Reyna is a bit of a head case. I want him on the pitch but him having burned a bridge or two with Berhalter by this point wouldn't surprise me. 

Yeah obviously Berhalter is an idiot for a lot of reasons, but if Claudio Reyna is causing problems he can fuck right off. Last thing we need is fucking helicopter dads on the national team, lol

Just now, tokamak said:

Yeah obviously Berhalter is an idiot for a lot of reasons, but if Claudio Reyna is causing problems he can fuck right off. Last thing we need is fucking helicopter dads on the national team, lol

There's that too I guess. I was just talking about Reyna Jr., though.

I don't think any of it would be an issue if he was able to stay fit over WCQ or for BvB. 

I'm not saying Gergg ISN'T a dumb cunt for not playing him, because he may well be, just that there could be something going on behind the scenes we aren't privvy to. 

5 minutes ago, The Earl of Texas said:

Was it just me or did rooting against Iran feel like rooting against aggy

AFAIK, and I haven't really looked into it too deep so I could be wrong, I think the Iranian players themselves are mostly on the right side of things. Think I read that a few of them have spoken out pretty bluntly about their government's bullshit.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, tokamak said:

AFAIK, and I haven't really looked into it too deep so I could be wrong, I think the Iranian players themselves are mostly on the right side of things. Think I read that a few of them have spoken out pretty bluntly about their government's bullshit.

That may be the case, but they still play for I-Ran.  Fuck them.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Can we get Aaronson to start?

I've kind of been thinking this all along.  We finally have two Americans starting together in the goddamn premier league but we can't take advantage of that on the national team?

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, tokamak said:

I believe they refused to sing their national anthem before the England game as a show of solidarity with the protesters. Then the government threatened their families. 

• Hook 'Em 3

28 minutes ago, WBT said:

I've kind of been thinking this all along.  We finally have two Americans starting together in the goddamn premier league but we can't take advantage of that on the national team?

ream and jedi start for fulham. both have been nails, especially this last game. 

gergg’s obsession with mls players is going to be the death of me. shaq moore shouldn’t even be on the roster, let alone sub in. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

8 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Pelvic contusion for Pulisic. Day to day

So assume he’s a go?

Contusions

Contusions are the most common injury to the hip, thigh, and pelvis. Collisions with other athletes or falls to the ground are the most common cause of contusions. Contusions can be superficial and limited to the subcutaneous tissue, or they can be deep and involve the bone, muscle, and ligaments. When associated with muscle involvement, contusions can result in slow bleeding with significant hematoma formation. Depending on the depth of the contusion and the extent of the injury, symptoms may occur immediately or after a 24- to 48-hour delay. Often, particularly with superficial contusions, treatment is of short duration and is based on the patient’s symptoms. Patients generally have a rapid return to play. With the diagnosis of a deep contusion, however, the treatment period may be extended. Aside from icing, treatment should be delayed 48 hours to ensure that all bleeding has stopped. After 48 hours, treatment with antiinflammatory drugs, heat, massage, and physical therapy is implemented. Rehabilitation should be aimed at maintaining flexibility and muscle mass. Range of motion (ROM) should be monitored because patients are prone to the development of myositis ossificans after sustaining deep contusions involving the muscle.

This is is what I found since if I google pelvic contusion most results for me are Cristian Pulisic diagnosed with pelvic contusion.

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

There's that too I guess. I was just talking about Reyna Jr., though.

I don't think any of it would be an issue if he was able to stay fit over WCQ or for BvB. 

I'm not saying Gergg ISN'T a dumb cunt for not playing him, because he may well be, just that there could be something going on behind the scenes we aren't privvy to. 

spacer.png

49 minutes ago, Horndog said:

I believe they refused to sing their national anthem before the England game as a show of solidarity with the protesters. Then the government threatened their families. 

Correct. Iran players are pretty brave tbh. They were told their families may be in danger if there was any showings against the government.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Wade said:

Daughter said they let the kids watch part of the game in her grade school.  Son said same about his high school, and that at lunch break, every table had a group watching the game on a laptop.  Pretty, pretty cool.

My school (private) had it on in the library with a 1st grade class and other faculty watching and I know of at least another 2nd and 3rd grade rooms that watched at least a half.

I was too tense to watch with all those posers that only watch soccer every four years, so had it on in my office.

“Where were you for Donovan’s goal vs Algeria, kid?? Oh. Six years away from being born? Whatever.”

Edited by LonghornSean
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

I seriously doubt he is a head case*. The guy is 20 years old and very much likely knows exactly how good he is**. And more to the point he very much wants to be on the field for the United States***. The most likely case in all of this is that he is probably dying inside not getting to see the field while feeling that he can be a big difference maker out there (and a lot of fans feel this way too).

Berhalter is an idiot with how he has handled this roster from the entire personnel standpoint. From wasting time with guys like Long in WCQ to the whole 9 problems. Gio is just another data point of this. Likely they both have played a role in the drama of how this has gone down. But where Berhalter has been the bigger failure is that he is the coach that is supposed to manage these egos and clearly is failing tremendously. And we've been watching him do it on so many different fronts.

Finally given that Reyna is going to be around a lot longer than Gregg, and he is going to be key in any success we want in 2026, he is the more important piece here.

* and ** - I don't know Reyna personally, but as a former 20 year old male, I think we all know how these guys can be.

*** - he very much has said how much he wants to be part of this team, this is no secret. And playing in the World Cup is something he has dreamed about his whole life.

• Hook 'Em 1