USA World Cup Match 3: Iran

Captain Ron

24 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

Adams has had back-to-back sensational efforts.

Truly believe we have more than a puncher's chance against the Dutch.

Interesting to note that the USMNT has reached the knockout stages in three-straight Cups (that it's attended) ... and four of its past five (the lone exception being 2006). Never considered the US among the world's 16 best international sides, but maybe I should?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Captain Ron said:

Berhalter is an idiot with how he has handled this roster from the entire personnel standpoint. From wasting time with guys like Long in WCQ to the whole 9 problems. Gio is just another data point of this. Likely they both have played a role in the drama of how this has gone down. But where Berhalter has been the bigger failure is that he is the coach that is supposed to manage these egos and clearly is failing tremendously. And we've been watching him do it on so many different fronts.

He isn't "failing tremendously" when the only truly inexplicable decision (for me) is Reyna only playing 7 minutes. It's why I'm entertaining the possibility that Reyna has done something on his end to influence Berhalter's admittedly poor decision to keep him off the pitch. 

The Long stuff seems like a meaningless footnote at this point. I think Gregg was wanting to get a look at some different CBs after Miles went down - knew that Ream was an option - and wanted to get someone else a couple caps in case there was an emergency at CB. Long has yet to play a minute. Ream has played 270 minutes. Gregg stuck with Zimmerman until Zimmerman almost blew 2 games in a row and then he benched him. 

As far as the 9 issues - is there anyone that thinks that Sargent isn't our best option there right now? Because he's started 2 games and played the majority of minutes. 

I don't know what Gregg sees in Haji Wright. I also know that people here are going to bitch about how he manages minutes at that position regardless of what happens. Probably because most of them aren't very good - and the best 9 outside of Sargent is always whoever isn't playing. Why Haji wasn't even PLAYING hard I have no idea but that hasn't been an issue for anyone else. 

I don't know why it takes an injury for Aaronson to get 45 mins. I do know that starting McKennie or Weah or Pulisic over him (whatever the decision is) isn't indefensible. 

I don’t know why he's playing Shaq Moore. I do know that none of the other options at RB are especially intriguing. Just because Scally has played a bunch of mid-table BL minutes at 19 doesn't mean he's ready to come into a do-or-die WC game in the 75th minute. Yedlin is passable on his best day at this point. 

Berhalter's biggest failures to me are the lack of a cohesive offense that produces balls on frame and some of the sub decisions, and the former suggests that he can't be the manager in 2026. His overall personnel decisions - again - OUTSIDE of whatever the fuck the Reyna thing is - I really have little issue with. 

Should we have played possession and continued attacking today instead of parking it? I certainly thought so. And yet, we won the game. 

I'm not going to pretend that Gregg doesn't know stuff about this team and these players that I don't know. I'm also not going to pretend he knows what the fuck he's doing from a tactical standpoint. I will continue to lose my mind over shit that he's doing during games but ultimately I'm not going to complain about every marginal decision that's been made regarding this team over the past 2 seasons, because up to this point we've been good enough to get to play an elimination game in the world cup. That's a pretty big 180 from where we were 5 years ago. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

Making the round of 16 is 100% about the players and 0% about GGG. That fuck just lucked into job security for at least a year because his players' give-a-fuck is higher than his incompetence.

I am no Gregg fan at all, but I gotta say maybe 75/25 Team/Gregg. The defensive setup and work at the end was Gregg. The team knew what he wanted done and got it done. That's on the players knowing their roles.

I think the rest of what happened with this team is primarily the individual talent of the players rising to the occasion. Our goal was an example of that. And I think a lot of that is these guys just being better players than Iran.

9 minutes ago, ztejas said:

He isn't "failing tremendously" when the only truly inexplicable decision (for me) is Reyna only playing 7 minutes. It's why I'm entertaining the possibility that Reyna has done something on his end to influence Berhalter's admittedly poor decision to keep him off the pitch. 

The Long stuff seems like a meaningless footnote at this point. I think Gregg was wanting to get a look at some different CBs after Miles went down - knew that Ream was an option - and wanted to get someone else a couple caps in case there was an emergency at CB. Long has yet to play a minute. Ream has played 270 minutes. Gregg stuck with Zimmerman until Zimmerman almost blew 2 games in a row and then he benched him. 

As far as the 9 issues - is there anyone that thinks that Sargent isn't our best option there right now? Because he's started 2 games and played the majority of minutes. 

I don't know what Gregg sees in Haji Wright. I also know that people here are going to bitch about how he manages minutes at that position regardless of what happens. Probably because most of them aren't very good - and the best 9 outside of Sargent is always whoever isn't playing. Why Haji wasn't even PLAYING hard I have no idea but that hasn't been an issue for anyone else. 

I don't know why it takes an injury for Aaronson to get 45 mins. I do know that starting McKennie or Weah or Pulisic over him (whatever the decision is) isn't indefensible. 

I don’t know why he's playing Shaq Moore. I do know that none of the other options at RB are especially intriguing. Just because Scally has played a bunch of mid-table BL minutes at 19 doesn't mean he's ready to come into a do-or-die WC game in the 75th minute. Yedlin is passable on his best day at this point. 

Berhalter's biggest failures to me are the lack of a cohesive offense that produces balls on frame and some of the sub decisions, and the former suggests that he can't be the manager in 2026. His overall personnel decisions - again - OUTSIDE of whatever the fuck the Reyna thing is - I really have little issue with. 

Should we have played possession and continued attacking today instead of parking it? I certainly thought so. And yet, we won the game. 

I'm not going to pretend that Gregg doesn't know stuff about this team and these players that I don't know. I'm also not going to pretend he knows what the fuck he's doing from a tactical standpoint. I will continue to lose my mind over shit that he's doing during games but ultimately I'm not going to complain about every marginal decision that's been made regarding this team over the past 2 seasons, because up to this point we've been good enough to get to play an elimination game in the world cup. That's a pretty big 180 from where we were 5 years ago. 

This is literally what all the euro fucks have been saying while talking shit about MLS. You fucks wanted Wright over Jesus because he doesn't play in MLS. Championship and any other euro league players is all those idiots wanted 

Edited by Zepol87
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Aaronson is great coming off the bench when you have the lead and want someone to press and run down everything.  He is not a threat to score and can't create like our starters.  He is a hustler that lacks some touch.  When Pulisic and McKennie came off today our attacking midfield play died.  We needed Reyna out there.  

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Bodhi said:

Aaronson is great coming off the bench when you have the lead and want someone to press and run down everything.  He is not a threat to score and can't create like our starters.  He is a hustler that lacks some touch.  When Pulisic and McKennie came off today our attacking midfield play died.  We needed Reyna out there.  

Agreed on both. 

AAron should still have gotten more than 80 minutes or whatever it was, but he's great off the bench. 

Looking forward, I'm not that worried about Van Dijykt and De Ligt. We created chances against Stones and Maguire. And I think the English FBs are way better than the Dutch FBs and Rice/Bellingham are at least on par with if not better than De Jong/Blind.

And finally.... The English attack is a different level than the Dutch.

We've already proven we can compete at a higher level than the English. The Dutch are not better. Now go sink their battleship.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Is Tyler Adams, at 23 years old, on pac to be the best American player ever? Top 5?  Top 10?  

He doesn't have much of a club resume yet. 

In terms of pure ability, he absolutely has the potential to be one of our best ever. 

So do like 5 or 6 other guys on our roster, though. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

He's up there. He needs to be a better passer to get into the "best ever" conversation. But with McKennie and Musah next to him, he's exactly what we need.

We going Landon 1 and Deuce 2, or other way around right now?  I’ve really really enjoyed watching him play. He feels like someone that pretty much any side would be happy to have. 
I watch no club. Go to a dynamo game occasionally. Watch pretty much all the USMNT games of significance. So, have no context for club/professional play. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

Tim Ream said the scoring sequence, an end-to-end move that started with goalkeeper Matt Turner and was keyed by Weston McKennie’s searching switch of play to find Dest behind the Iranian backline, was a specific part of the pregame preparations.

“We talked about it before the game. That exact play was how we were going to score,” said the veteran defender. “Credit to Serg seeing that he could hit the ball back across, and Christian was told before the game to crash that back post and that's exactly what he did. … Perfect, perfect, perfect setup for the goal.”

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Just now, Wulaw Horn said:

We going Landon 1 and Deuce 2, or other way around right now?  I’ve really really enjoyed watching him play. He feels like someone that pretty much any side would be happy to have. 

It might be cliche but club career says CP10 is #1. He doesn't have the WC resume yet, but give him time.

It's kind of crazy, but going through the exercise in my head, a lot of the top 10 is on the roster today. 

Trajectory of soccer in the US is on such a steep climb at the moment. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, Ted Lange said:

Tim Ream said the scoring sequence, an end-to-end move that started with goalkeeper Matt Turner and was keyed by Weston McKennie’s searching switch of play to find Dest behind the Iranian backline, was a specific part of the pregame preparations.

“We talked about it before the game. That exact play was how we were going to score,” said the veteran defender. “Credit to Serg seeing that he could hit the ball back across, and Christian was told before the game to crash that back post and that's exactly what he did. … Perfect, perfect, perfect setup for the goal.”

They came up with it and practiced it in secret while Gregg was drunkenly hitting on married women at the hotel bar. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Is Tyler Adams, at 23 years old, on pac to be the best American player ever? Top 5?  Top 10?  

International game wise hell yea after this he is top 10 for sure. He will move to a bigger club after this and hopefully keeps growing and getting better then for sure he is in discussion for top 5

7 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Shaq is getting dragged pretty hard because he had some embarassing passes going forward but he was honestly pretty good defensively. Obviously turning the ball over when you're parking it takes away from that but looking at whoscored he had 2 tackles and 2 clearances in ~20 mins played. 

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1632095/LiveStatistics/International-FIFA-World-Cup-2022-Iran-USA

There were two plays in particular where he made a really nice play on the ball. Maybe I'll find them on a replay to help clear his name a bit. 

He just seems really out of his depth as soon as he is going the other direction and I think it's easier to notice mistakes there and latch onto them. It's why Antonee keeps driving me crazy despite playing good D. 

1 hour ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Truly believe we have more than a puncher's chance against the Dutch.

I checked in on the Chelsea subreddit to see how they were handling Pulisic's success (more on that later) and they think that our midfield of McKinnie/Adams/Musah will give the Dutch some real problems. They also noted what someone else did upthread that they may be vulnerable on the back line. The only question is our finishing which we all know about. The debate was whether we are missing a true "#9" or we just suck in the final third in general. 

As for Pulisic - his performance has been an eye-opener for those dipshits on the Chelsea subreddit. It's finally occurred to them that maybe they haven't been using him right and that they haven't appreciated what they have. Too bad as he's going to be shipped off to somewhere else in January and will bring the hurt to them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Shaq is getting dragged pretty hard because he had some embarassing passes going forward but he was honestly pretty good defensively. Obviously turning the ball over when you're parking it takes away from that but looking at whoscored he had 2 tackles and 2 clearances in ~20 mins played. 

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1632095/LiveStatistics/International-FIFA-World-Cup-2022-Iran-USA

There were two plays in particular where he made a really nice play on the ball. Maybe I'll find them on a replay to help clear his name a bit. 

He just seems really out of his depth as soon as he is going the other direction and I think it's easier to notice mistakes there and latch onto them. It's why Antonee keeps driving me crazy despite playing good D. 

bro,

he completed 2 of 7 passes today. He committed 3 fouls in the 12 minutes he played against England.

And honestly, beyond the statistics, anyone with 1 working eye can see he’s completely out of his depth. 

• Hook 'Em 3

13 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

bro,

he completed 2 of 7 passes today. He committed 3 fouls in the 12 minutes he played against England.

And honestly, beyond the statistics, anyone with 1 working eye can see he’s completely out of his depth. 

Shaq sucks. He shouldn't be on the team but somehow he's playing very meaningful minutes over a 90m per game Bundesliga RB.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

bro,

I'm talking about today's game. He wasn't really a defensive liability. I acknowledged that his passing was bad and he looks out of his depth. 

16 minutes ago, The Dog said:

I checked in on the Chelsea subreddit to see how they were handling Pulisic's success (more on that later) and they think that our midfield of McKinnie/Adams/Musah will give the Dutch some real problems. They also noted what someone else did upthread that they may be vulnerable on the back line. The only question is our finishing which we all know about. The debate was whether we are missing a true "#9" or we just suck in the final third in general. 

As for Pulisic - his performance has been an eye-opener for those dipshits on the Chelsea subreddit. It's finally occurred to them that maybe they haven't been using him right and that they haven't appreciated what they have. Too bad as he's going to be shipped off to somewhere else in January and will bring the hurt to them. 

They'll have a rude awakening when he's loaned to Man U, Man U make the CL, Chelsea doesn't even make Europa, and then Man U exercise the cheap buy option on CP10 because Chelsea gonna Chelsea.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I'm talking about today's game. He wasn't really a defensive liability. I acknowledged that his passing was bad and he looks out of his depth. 

He's a fullback trying to close out the match. Successful passing to alleviate pressure is kind of the job description.

25 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Jesus will fix that issue up front if Greg puts him in but he obviously read Twitter and the other euro snobs nonsense and that's why he has played Wright. 

As to yiur midfield topic Weston just doeant seem to be able to go 70 minutes hard right now. Adams has been the mfing dude and covers for him and musah quite a bit.