USA World Cup Match 3: Iran

Captain Ron

Just now, crash_davis said:

you cannot tell me we don't have better options than moore, weah and wright???????????????????

greg did all he could to lose that fucking game. 

Weah does not belong in the same category as Moore and Wright, come on.

but yeah. imagine using this many subs across 3 games and only using one on Gio.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

Just now, crash_davis said:

you cannot tell me we don't have better options than moore, weah and wright???????????????????

Weah is solid. Scored against Wales and was a whisker from adding a second goal today.

He did miss several chances and should've done better, but he's one of our better players and shouldn't be included with your criticisms of Moore and Wright.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

Now that it's over, I will say this: I know it's not the rule, but when you are in a clearly trailing position and you reach out and cynically grab the jersey or the body of the ball handler and pull him back or down - that should be a red card. I know the rule now on these situations is only when it is a clear scoring opportunity, but it should be anywhere on the field.  It's a bullshit move by a player who is beaten.

It is on a breakaway but not there, we did the same to Bale to prevent him from get a shot.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Now that it's over, I will say this: I know it's not the rule, but when you are in a clearly trailing position and you reach out and cynically grab the jersey or the body of the ball handler and pull him back or down - that should be a red card. I know the rule now on these situations is only when it is a clear scoring opportunity, but it should be anywhere on the field.  It's a bullshit move by a player who is beaten.

Agree 100% - should have teed that MF up with a red. That was ridiculous! The situation and the egregiousness of the foul should be a red.

Edited by StrippersAndNobelPrizes

2 minutes ago, StrippersAndNobelPrizes said:

Undefeated in the qualifying round baby!!!!

Had we drawn again, I was going to play this card and then see if there was a chance to be the only undefeated team in the tournament, as others get knocked out.  

Now there’s a single circumstance in which we finish this tournament undefeated…

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

In what fucking world are Haji Wright and Shaq Moore getting World Cup minutes? They looked like they won a Dr Pepper throw a football through an inflatable bottle contest and the prize was to play for the USMNT. 

glad we’re through. 

In a world where our 9 and FB depth is non-existent. 

We probably have better options than Haji. We really don't have any better options than Shaq. Unless an aging Yedlin is any better. 

3 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Weah is solid. Scored against Wales and was a whisker from adding a second goal today.

He did miss several chances and should've done better, but he's one of our better players and shouldn't be included with your criticisms of Moore and Wright.

the game today was too big for weah. he lost his composure inside the box. he played like shit today and deserves to lump in with the 2 other shitheads.

• Fuck You 2

The entire game shifted when Weah and Dest were subbed. The US couldn't maintain any attacks or even just basic passing when they went out. Weah was so much faster than the Iranian defense, he got to so many long balls that would have otherwise been turnovers, he kept the defense pressed back a lot. Dest is a good ball handler and understands how to make passes to keep the attack flowing while looking for an opening.

The two guys that subbed them were nothing like that, they played like slow footed pussies waiting for the ball to roll to them. You gotta have killer instinct and keep attacking the ball even if you won't get possession. Make them work for it, force them to make questionable passes and let your teammates capitalize on those. The starters were doing that all first half and it showed with the huge disparity in possession.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

We probably have better options than Haji. We really don't have any better options than Shaq. Unless an aging Yedlin is any better. 

I say we take our chances. Because Shaq hasn't met a ball he can't turnover or give away. He's been shitty.

8 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

I was yelling the same thing at my TV. That was the same as using hands on the goal line by a non goalie.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

the game today was too big for weah. he lost his composure inside the box. he played like shit today and deserves to lump in with the 2 other shitheads.

Dude shut the fuck up. None of them are shitheads. Two of them are out of their depth and that isn't their fault. 

How are you mad about any of this? We just advanced. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, ztejas said:

Joe Scally is levels better. He’s started every game for Monchengladbach this season.

There are probably 6 American MLS right backs that are better. Dusty ass 44 year old DeMarcus Beasley could do better than Moore did the last two appearances. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Dutchrudder said:

The entire game shifted when Weah and Dest were subbed. The US couldn't maintain any attacks or even just basic passing when they went out. Weah was so much faster than the Iranian defense, he got to so many long balls that would have otherwise been turnovers, he kept the defense pressed back a lot. Dest is a good ball handler and understands how to make passes to keep the attack flowing while looking for an opening.

The two guys that subbed them were nothing like that, they played like slow footed pussies waiting for the ball to roll to them. You gotta have killer instinct and keep attacking the ball even if you won't get possession. Make them work for it, force them to make questionable passes and let your teammates capitalize on those. The starters were doing that all first half and it showed with the huge disparity in possession.

i think the game changed when Weston went out. He and Tyler control the mid-field. We lost complete control of it when he went out. We couldn't maintain possession.

10 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

I am glad Acosta disagrees with you. Like I said it is this attitude that sometimes cost the USMNT.

Just got back from watching with a crowd on the patio at Shoal Creek Saloon.  WHEW.  They decided to make that a lot scarier than it should have been.

1 -- hope Pulisic is okay.  Without him.....the quality dropoff in our attack is very noticeable.

2 -- Dest and Sargent had great games.

3 -- I'm not the world's biggest Zimmerman fan, but his fresh legs and aggressiveness for the last 20 minutes he was on were really important.

The Dutch are better, but.....it's a winnable match.  LFG.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

It's pathetic, but our biggest liability is our coach. Whatever pussy ass beef he has with gio for bottoming his wife out needs to be put aside for the WC. Someone needs to kick him in the fucking balls every 5 minutes until he agrees to play gio. 

image.png.bbb5b6abf2685e764320d0c74589e311.png

Just now, Brisketexan said:

Just got back from watching with a crowd on the patio at Shoal Creek Saloon.  WHEW.  They decided to make that a lot scarier than it should have been.

1 -- hope Pulisic is okay.  Without him.....the quality dropoff in our attack is very noticeable.

2 -- Dest and Sargent had great games.

3 -- I'm not the world's biggest Zimmerman fan, but his fresh legs and aggressiveness for the last 20 minutes he was on were really important.

The Dutch are better, but.....it's a winnable match.  LFG.

If CP is out we're probably fucked. But that's okay. 

Hell of an accomplishment getting out of this group the way we did after missing the WC 4 years ago. I've said it before but even a great manager would have issues with our general inexperience and the depth issues at some key positions. 

The Dutch are beatable but we'll need to play our best game of all 4 if we want to try and pull off the upset. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Berhalter grade - C AT BEST.

He hasn't instilled much in this team. They have no strategy. We got out because 1 team (Wales) was inept. And Iran just didn't have the horses.

1 minute ago, RamjetFDO said:

Shit - CP10 with a mysterious "abdominal injury" and taken to the hospital.  Hope it's just an abundance of caution.

I was just saying to a friend - I'm guessing fractured rib(s).