America's Game: The 123rd Meeting of Army and Navy

LTtxfan

11 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

The Marines are kind of aggy-like in their cultishness.

Troll better…lolz.

One has the substance of excellence, recognized, respected, and sometimes feared by others.  The other’s greatness and admiration are a figment of their own imagination.

Edited by slorch

My annual "GO ARMY" post. 

My Dad and brother are both Army vets. Dad was Army infantry ... was in 'Nam in '68-69 in the  shit.

My brother graduated from West Point in '99. He served in Kosovo but thankfully didn't have to go to Iraq or Afghanistan. (Lots of his friends did and his best friend from West Point was killed in Falluja.)

• Hook 'Em 7

12 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

The Marines are kind of aggy-like in their cultishness.

I don't like negging, but this one deserves a neg for associating that kiddie corps bullshit in College Station with the USMC.

BTW, in honor of my parents, brothers and nephew, Go Navy, Beat Army!

Edited by 83Horn
  • Hook 'Em 5

20 minutes ago, slorch said:

Troll better…lolz.

One has the substance of excellence, recognized, respected, and sometimes feared by others.  The other’s greatness and admiration are a figment of their own imagination.

5 minutes ago, 83Horn said:

I don't like negging, but this one deserves a neg for associating that kiddie corps bullshit in College Station with the USMC.

BTW, in honor of my parents, brothers and nephew, Go Navy, Beat Army!

It was a f'n joke.

Marine fans seem to be a bit thin-skinned. 🤔

18 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

It was a f'n joke.

Marine fans seem to be a bit thin-skinned. 🤔

It was not obvious as a joke, which indicates it was a bad joke about something many people are passionate.  Marines, and all actual service members, earn their valor, whereas aggy wallows in stolen valor.

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

It seems more like rooting against the rest of UT and only rooting for the Engineering school. It is not like there is a USMC academy.

Not really. A better example would be two different schools under the UT System.  Both are run by the same Board of Regents but nobody at UTSA answers to Jay Hartzell or roots for the Horns  In the same sense, the USMC is not part of the Navy.  The Dept of the Navy and the Navy are not the same entity.  It's one Department that oversees two separate services, one of which happens to share a name with it.  

The Marine officers that come out of the Academy are fairly few, not a significant number.  The majority of the Marine Corps doesn't give a shit about one school that supplies a small percentage of its officers.  Aggy commissions a few Marines every year too and ain't no way the others would root for them because of that.

It's a just good-natured interservice rivalry and the USNA is generally considered Navy despite the few Marines that come out of it.   

• Hook 'Em 1

I appreciate the tradition of this game.  It's definitely a big part of our national heritage.  Pick a side and root.  Have fun with it.

What I'll never understand is how someone without direct connection to the service academies can get worked up over this game.  And when I say direct connection, I mean attend or graduate.  I did 20 yrs AD Navy, and I still DGAF if the canoe clubbers win.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

I appreciate the tradition of this game.  It's definitely a big part of our national heritage.  Pick a side and root.  Have fun with it.

What I'll never understand is how someone without direct connection to the service academies can get worked up over this game.  And when I say direct connection, I mean attend or graduate.  I did 20 yrs AD Navy, and I still DGAF if the canoe clubbers win.

Agree, I cared alot more when I was younger. Go navy always and forever though

On 12/9/2022 at 6:47 AM, Longboard Horn said:

This game means a lot to me. My cousin and his wife are still active duty Navy, having finished their tours and are stationed in Virginia Beach. My youngest stepbrother is active duty Marines and is currently stationed in Salt Lake City as an officer after serving in Australia, Japan and other parts of the Pacific. Oldest BIL was in the Marines, went to med school, and re-enlisted in the Navy as a Naval doctor. Lots of Navy in my family.

So once again, GO NAVY! BEAT ARMY! SING SECOND!

What the hell happened to you?

7 minutes ago, EastTexan said:

What the hell happened to you?

I am a ghost lol 

Seriously though, parents wouldn't allow me to enlist because I was the oldest male child(at least that's their main reasoning/what they told me). Also in high school I had decent grades, but they weren't high enough to get me into West Point or Annapolis. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

I am a ghost lol 

Seriously though, parents wouldn't allow me to enlist because I was the oldest male child(at least that's their main reasoning/what they told me). Also in high school I had decent grades, but they weren't high enough to get me into West Point or Annapolis. 

Just kidding you.

I enjoy this thread every year. My Dad was a senior in hs when Pearl Harbor was bombed. He and all the boys in his class (except one. had a medical problem) enlisted shortly after. Believe only five or six boys (men) were in his class. Small farm community. Dad went to paratrooper school, was in the 82nd and served in Europe. His older brother joined (Army) and served in the Pacific. I served in the Army. Go Army!

Thankful for all branches. God bless them all.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

I am a ghost lol 

It seems like the Naval Academy has placed a disproportionate emphasis on academics over the past decade and a half. As far as selecting the best officer candidates, it really misses the point. Academics are an important aspect of being an officer, but one does not need to be an Ivy League scholar. Being well-rounded is far more important. Above average scholastic aptitude, athleticism, social skills*, character, and work ethic all add up to what I believe a good LEADER should be. There are too many "nerds" that lack other attributes getting into USNA lately. They have gone too far away from the "Combat Leader" mentality.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

It seems like the Naval Academy has placed a disproportionate emphasis on academics over the past decade and a half. As far as selecting the best officer candidates, it really misses the point. Academics are an important aspect of being an officer, but one does not need to be an Ivy League scholar. Being well-rounded is far more important. Above average scholastic aptitude, athleticism, social skills*, character, and work ethic all add up to what I believe a good LEADER should be. There are too many "nerds" that lack other attributes getting into USNA lately. They have gone too far away from the "Combat Leader" mentality.

It is competitive AF.

The leadership piece is still undervalued in the process, IMHO.  It is highly debatable how one quantifies such attributes in a high school Junior/ Senior.  Son studied and served with some outfucking standing leaders/ warriors.  There were some, as with any group, who came across as being incapable of even leading anyone to lunch.

The process is rigorous, no doubt.  It has its own imperfections, still.  To be fair, the real world is not without its folks whose entire position of authority rests solely upon their title.  All hat.  No cattle.  There's some of that in any organization, IMHO.

Edited by slorch

This is a capstone among many at West Point commemorating battles the Army has fought. For some reason, this one really resonated with me as changing the world, but there is stuff like that all over campus at both USMA and Annapolis.  I've encouraged folks to go to  America's Game, should they ever have the chance.  I'd follow that up by recommending campus visits should you be in the NYC or DC areas.

image.thumb.png.ef13fe3b39f6698517fc53e8707a8578.png

It’s a delicate balance I don’t envy.  They broadcast “leaders are not born, they’re made…and we are the ones who make them!”  But then also “we need more natural leaders who we can make into leaders given our own inherent leadership skills based on the leadership we learned from leadership teachers we culled from natural leaders.”  

for a hot minute in 1965 in both Morocco and in Vietnam support, my father was the youngest petty officer in the whole Of the U.S. Navy.  He was a quiet, natural leader who wanted to elevate people around him. But he was reluctant the rest of his life for leaderShip.  Navy, business, civic and political engagement.  He could have been a war college professor, a state senator, a flag officer.  But he realized that his best leadership quality was remaining quiet and getting the fuck outta the way. Something I try to emulate in real life.  It served him well in business but he knew that he needed to let more compassionate people lead in military and politics.  Dead 17 years and I’m still unpacking lessons in leadership from him.  Go Navy. Days like this, I miss when his service buddies would come over as a young kid. They’d tell me cool stories about ships And time in country.  Then I’d go to bed.  And they would stay late and talk about the real shit and the friends they lost on river patrols.  

the admirals I know, politely tell me not to address them as admiral.  And I remind them that my grandfather and father would roll over in their graves if they knew I had the honor to dine with flag officers and didn’t address them with respect.  I regret that it was only after my dad died that I didn’t appreciate our USN heritage more.  But I’m glad I do now.  Including my grand uncle who is now the second oldest living submariner from his carrier group 1945.  

so go Navy.  Godspeed you subsurface bastards.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

My grandpa got this lamp at some point, commemorating his graduating West Point Class.  I posted a small version to obscure his name, but the label on the bottom says

"Col. Jingelheimerschmidtt

Class of Jan. 1943 - BS"

His class is the only January class in West Point's history.  I guess there was something big going on in 1943 and they had to rush a class through. 

20221209_081237small.jpg.c2bce9493d928e6584a6fca52d85e295.jpg20221209_081244.thumb.jpg.8634e08e0d0121cd12c6daafaa8d4116.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, slorch said:

This is a capstone among many at West Point commemorating battles the Army has fought. For some reason, this one really resonated with me as changing the world, but there is stuff like that all over campus at both USMA and Annapolis.  I've encouraged folks to go to  America's Game, should they ever have the chance.  I'd follow that up by recommending campus visits should you be in the NYC or DC areas.

image.thumb.png.ef13fe3b39f6698517fc53e8707a8578.png

WP is a beautiful area, glad I got that off the bucket list last season. 

22 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

Oh... USMC is most definitely cultish, but their cult has a purpose and a record of success.  Doesn't mean that it ain't fucking weird.  

"Tell your friend not to get cute down there, the Marines at Gitmo are fanatical."

"Fanatical about what?"

"About being Marines."

I'm the son of a Marine Colonel and I grew up on Marine Corps bases from birth to high school graduation.  When I saw that movie back in 1993 or so I remember thinking to myself, "That line is perfectly accurate, and it's not limited to Gitmo."

Go Navy!

27 minutes ago, slorch said:

Much prefer this one, commemorating the 82nd Airborne at Normandy...and they broke the Navy's 14 game winning streak in 2016.

GetFile.aspx?guid=7eb87119-abe1-4b94-81d

They didn’t wear that when they broke Navy’s win streak. I was at that game. 

11 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

They didn’t wear that when they broke Navy’s win streak. I was at that game. 

Yes they did.  It was 2016, my son's Firsty( Senior) year.

I attended in 2014-Baltimore and 2015- Philly and Navy won their 13th and 14th consecutive games in the series.  In 2016 it was broken when the Cadets won 21-17.

.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Army–Navy_Game

Edited by slorch

30 minutes ago, SameSame said:

This is the only game that should start every year at 0900.   Go Army!  Beat Navy!

What’s the “0” stand for?  Oh my god, it’s early.  This is dedicated to the U.S. Army, the sweetest smelling Army in the world.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, slorch said:

Yes they did.  It was 2016, my son's Firsty( Senior) year.

I attended in 2014-Baltimore and 2015- Philly and Navy won their 13th and 14th consecutive games in the series.  In 2016 it was broken when the Cadets won 21-17.

.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Army–Navy_Game

You’re right. My bad. I was hammered that game. 

9 minutes ago, Fuck Tim Beck said:

Sure looked like 54 for Army led with the top of his helmet. Has that been us, both defenders would have been ejected. 

In the last few weeks I’ve seen several instances of announcers and refs explaining away hits that they’ve eagerly called targeting in the past. In the USC-UCLA game, they virtually got out their compasses and protractors to define the hit as not being led by the 6” diameter circle at the top of the helmet that defines the “crown.”