2023 Texas Coaching and Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

I don't think Jimmy Lake would be a good move. I know he and PK have history, and he is a great DB coach, but I am not sure his ego will allow him to be under PK. He already made that game of thrones style gambit once and it blew up the program eventually. 

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Another long off-season quickly approaches. This will be another running thread of all staff related updates. While we aren’t expected to lose any on field coaches at the moment, a new NCAA rule is expected to be implemented this spring that would allow for unlimited on field coaches starting this summer. It was fun to look through last years thread and see how we felt about certain members of the staff compared to now. This offseason is going to be huge. Hopefully if GP moves on, we could replace him with a guy like Jimmy Lake or Jeff Hafley if he is eventually let go at BC. Finally,  I hope that Sark will add an equivalent of GP on the offensive side too. I have been told to pay attention to Todd Dodge, apparently Sark has been trying to add him to the staff behind the scenes and Dodge has been telling other HS coaches that he might make the move.

What type of role(s) would Todd Dodge take on? On field versus off field?

Jeff Hafley to replace Gideon would be phenomenal - he’s allegedly fantastic as secondary coach and a solid recruiter. Seems as though BC doesn’t want to pay to get rid of him.

I thought Lake and PK had a falling out, behind the scenes, as a reason PK was willing to move on from UW. That said, IF Lake could control his ego, then yeah he’s a great add. You could also look at Bill Busch, currently at Nebraska and likely out, given that Rhule has already begun filling out his secondary coaches. Corey Raymond, Gerald Alexander (former player for PK, coached at Cal and Miami Dolphins). Basically, I think Gideon should be swapped for an upgrade at the coaching spot.

I suppose the other thought I have is that I hope Sark already contacted Leonhard for a just-in-case-PK-moves-on scenario. Leonhard runs a similar 3-4/2-4-5 style defense.

18 minutes ago, horny_gunman said:

Jeff Hafley to replace Gideon would be phenomenal - he’s allegedly fantastic as secondary coach and a solid recruiter. Seems as though BC doesn’t want to pay to get rid of him.

I thought Lake and PK had a falling out, behind the scenes, as a reason PK was willing to move on from UW. That said, IF Lake could control his ego, then yeah he’s a great add. You could also look at Bill Busch, currently at Nebraska and likely out, given that Rhule has already begun filling out his secondary coaches. Corey Raymond, Gerald Alexander (former player for PK, coached at Cal and Miami Dolphins). Basically, I think Gideon should be swapped for an upgrade at the coaching spot.

I suppose the other thought I have is that I hope Sark already contacted Leonhard for a just-in-case-PK-moves-on scenario. Leonhard runs a similar 3-4/2-4-5 style defense.

The Gideon disdain is interesting considering that there’s a solid argument that Safety was our most improved position group this year. Jerrin Thompson looks like a completely different player with an NFL future. Plus, Gideon has recruited well and currently has a 5 star safety committed for next year. 

• Hook 'Em 5

I’d say I’m more apathetic to Gideon - I did use the word “upgrade”. I’m not as bullish on having to replace him as I was earlier in the season. I will admit that the safety play has dramatically improved during the season. I do think that it was not great to begin with, though, and until a more complete, season-long effort by the secondary, I’m not 100% sold on the combo of Gideon and Joseph being truly in lock-step with PK. Maybe it’s a player thing, maybe it’s the scheme-fit concept, maybe GP has helped this mish-mash of coaches, and maybe the player-scheme-unit development going into the bowl game/next year convinces me. But hey, I just watch the games and criticize from my home.

• Hook 'Em 1

Who coaches the nickel currently for us?

Barron showed a lot of growth and improvement. 

I’d be perfectly fine with an upgrade at CB coach but I know they really like Joseph’s recruiting connections in the boot. 

individually I think Gideon and Joseph are decent but collectively they don’t seem to be on the same page as PK all the time. 

The defense was greatly improved. All the coaches developed guys and have recruited well. If there’s a change it’ll be to right the wrong of the staff being built for a different coordinator, not because of underperformance. I’d expect it to be one of the DB coaches but I’m not sure which, if it happens at all. Personally I’m hoping that Joseph’s name starts popping up in the carousel. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Getting to 8-5 is fantastic improvement and all and I’m generally so fucking happy to be a Longhorn fan right now. But, great coaches at all levels are always looking at available coaches who could be clear upgrades to the current staff, even if they’re alumni. I definitely think this staff is solid and won’t lose sleep over the same group coming back. But let’s not think that it’s the perfect squad who shouldn’t be considered for upgrading

On Marion: would suck, but the guy has never stuck in one place very long. It’s likely that he was only here for 2-3 years max anyway. Can’t be mad at him for moving up in this world.

10 minutes ago, horny_gunman said:

Getting to 8-5 is fantastic improvement and all and I’m generally so fucking happy to be a Longhorn fan right now. But, great coaches at all levels are always looking at available coaches who could be clear upgrades to the current staff, even if they’re alumni. I definitely think this staff is solid and won’t lose sleep over the same group coming back. But let’s not think that it’s the perfect squad who shouldn’t be considered for upgrading

On Marion: would suck, but the guy has never stuck in one place very long. It’s likely that he was only here for 2-3 years max anyway. Can’t be mad at him for moving up in this world.

It's funny watching this discussion here right now because I just realized, for the first time in probably my entire life as a longhorn fan, that I am not passionate about seeing a coach on the staff get replaced. I get the "up or out" premise and support it both as a fan and in my business life, but I'm also fine with letting a group gel if they're showing the chops for both recruiting and development. 

That considered, I've viewed Marion as a one and done guy. I'll be pleasantly shocked if Texas hangs on to him. 

Also, is the reason folks keep gravitating towards the idea of getting Jimmy Lake related to news somewhere? Or just because he's worked with PK in depth in the past?

• Hook 'Em 5

9 hours ago, Vertigo said:

Gideon put together a much improved group and turned Jerrin Thompson and Anthony Cook into draftable players, plus has a 5 star safety committed in the upcoming class. What more are you looking for?

Who is the coach responsible for coaching zone? Cause that dude needs to be fucking fired. 

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, RichUT said:

It’s fine to hope he doesn’t leave, but given that feels unlikely who’s the next Marion? Surely there have to be some solid options out there.

If Marion is angling for the Oregon OC job, then I think that is unlikely as well. Those are the only two roles I have heard him connected with. I like Marion, but he needs to show me more as a coach before I get worked up about losing him. His room was the only one that didn't improve over last year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

Lane Kiffin was able to use it as a springboard, and that is a guy who could get distracted in a place like Boca. 

54 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Kiffin doesn't seem to have ever been a raging asshole, which is Herman's biggest issue.

Kiffin is an asshole, but a different kid of asshole. And he's into chasing pussy, just ask Saban and his daughter, but I've never heard a ton about drug use. Not the same thing. Tom Herman is both. 

• Hook 'Em 1